Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

wacky rigging

Started by karol, March 13, 2007, 09:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

hey guys, what size hook do you use for wacky rigging? 1/0 circle or smaller and do red hooks work better? almost got some 1/0 circle gammys at wally world but thought i'll ask the "guys" first. and would 8lb test be ok for this? do you use an o-ring and put the hook right in the ring? lots of ? but you guys help an old guy like me out..karol :)

fowlmouth

I use the daiichi octopus hook (size 4 or 2), on a 4" senko type I just match up the ends and stick it through the middle. I have seen some guys use o rings or shrink tube, I just find it faster to stick it.

Dan

I have never used the octopus hooks. When they are on this bait it doesn't seem to matter. I do use an O ring. Buy one of the tools. It only takes a second to put the O ring on and it helps save the senkos, but maybe you are in on the new pour your own club. I would love to go to their demo but it falls on my 35th wedding anniversary and we have planned a trip.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

OUTLAW

I use a 2/0 Reaction innovations WW hook. It works great for senkos.

PIGSMALLIE

outdoorkid

i like to use a 1/0 to a 3/0 strait shank hook because i find that a lot of times the larger fish dont hit as aggresively and the bigger hook is less likely to be swallowed. i also find that the red ooks dont seem to make a diffrence but they help me see the bait better when im using a natural color.

Savage

I ws using some circle hooks last year at a tournament and ran out.  I started using what I had left, just some 2/0 offset worm hooks.  They worked just fine too.  Does not really seem to matter, but those cicle hooks are nice for getting them in the corner of the mouth.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

live2fish

Try using the tool by snackdaddy to put the o ring on. I don't not have one yet but had it demo for me and am going to get one for myself real soon.

Barry

fiker

I use a red 2/0 octopus type hook.  I have in the past matched the ends, and stuck it.

I picked up one of the tools at the Xtreme booth in Lansing.  I'll give that a try along with the O rings this summer.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

kgr624

I use 2/0 red octopus hooks and I have used the O-rings straight from Gary Yamamoto and I found that they keep the bait well but it is a sucker trying to get those things on sometimes. I will probably pre rig them this year and use them a lot more to save my stick baits.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

10-10 Bass Busters

I use either 2/0 or 3/0. wide gap red.  I also use o rings.  I made my own o ring tool out of a wide ball point pen just unscrewed the section and used the top section, u can also use the top of a sharpie marker just have to cut the clip off.  Here is a great place to get o rings on ebay.  selling them for $5 for 200, and free shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/Paintball-o-rings-and-other

Bender

I have used regular EWG hooks and Gammy Finesse Wide Gap 3/0 hooks too.
Here is a post from a guy on Bass Boat Central about a cheap o-ring tool:

bought a 1/2 inch hollow fid or fids at the hardware store for .89 and put a screw in the end that you can stretch the O-rings over the head. This pic is a fid in full length of 6 inches or so. I cut off almost 3 inches and works real good.

I hope it is alright to cross post this, if not please delete it.

What size are the o-rings you are using? I am going to add some to my next mcmaster order. :)
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

REEL_MAN

I use the Owner 1/0 mosquito with the o ring. just for FYI the o ring I use ia a is a size #11. Never have used a tool, don't see a need. The #11 goes on easy, doesn't deform the senco and stays in place.

REEL MAN

bshaner

Quote from: REEL_MAN on March 15, 2007, 11:25:19 AM
I use the Owner 1/0 mosquito with the o ring. just for FYI the o ring I use ia a is a size #11. Never have used a tool, don't see a need. The #11 goes on easy, doesn't deform the senco and stays in place.

REEL MAN

^^^
What he said..

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

fiker

Wayne was recommending the #10 size O ring for 4" X worms, and the #11 for 5".
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Dan

Wayne and Snack Daddy both have a tool like the one above an O rings at the GR Show. Said they will be getting red O rings in but didn't have them today. They are selling the tool for about $6 and O rings for about a buck a package. I have the tool and it is very handy will be getting a back up.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Nitro882

I use a size 2 octapus hooks by Bass Pro. They are a little smaller than a 2/0 hook. I made the mistake of grabbing a bag of each at Bass Pro and didn't realize the size difference. They seem to get better hook sets with a smaller hook.

fish hound

anyone ever try zip ties?  i've used em for a couple years and they work great.  use the smallest size you can find, and they come in all sorts of colors.  i just snug it up, clip off the excess, and slip a 2/0 gamu finesse wide gap under it.  it usually slides up the line, especially when smallies start jumpin, and the worm lasts forever.