Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

LSC 9-6-2013

Started by Skulley, September 08, 2013, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

I decided that I would hit St. Clair on Friday. I was going to head to Erie but because of the water temps Wednesday, I decided to go to LSC. I launched at Harley and went straight across to an area I had fished once before by Strawberry Island. I haven't fished a lot around the Strawberry Island area, so I thought it would be a good day for a "science project". I also thought Wayne's Mark Map Series would be a good foundation for learning the area and making the most of my day.

I started throwing a couple 3 different cranks and started hooking up almost right away. So in the hour or so I spent there, I caught 9 smallies with 2 being in the 4lb range. I targeted depths of 7 to 10 fow. All fish came on cranks. I did throw some tubes but the fish weren't hanging on to them as I had some good fish on but when they jumped, they threw the bait. It sure is frustrating when that happens.

I then hit another area along the same ridge on the map that seemed to have an inside and an outside bend. There were rocks and grass here and I targeted the area with cranks and tubes. Again the area targeted was 7 to 10 fow and the fish there were not had cooperative but when I did start to hook up, the catch was good quality. In other words, bigger fish. I caught 6 there and we're all in the 3.5 to 4lb range with the biggest being about 4.25lbs. Had 3 on cranks and 3 on tubes. Lost 4 more quality fish on tubes again as they just weren't hanging on to the tube. The 3 I did catch I found myself counting to 10 and then setting the hook. That's working for a catch. That can be frustrating.

My next stop was a close by but a bit deeper. It was a 10 to 12 foot area with a deeper weed line and a gravel bottom. I spent about 30 minutes there and only had 1 hookup on a tube and lost that one at the boat. Unfortunately I didn't get a look. It was pulling pretty hard though.

My next stop was a wreck where I ran into Huston. Here I threw tubes mostly as I wasn't getting any strikes on cranks but was getting pick ups on tubes. I managed 3 smallies here all in the 3lb range and lost another bigger one when it jumped and threw the bait. Also one nice walleye which found its way to the menu for dinner that evening. I called it quits from there and headed to the launch.

Water temps were 67 degrees and visibility was about 8 feet. Just another wonderful day on LSC.

BD.                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

billfox2

Sounds like a successful search and destroy mission. Try bending your tube hook down a little and see if that helps hold those flying fish on a little longer.

djkimmel

Wayne says this has been a good year for that break. A number of good reports about more bass being caught in Anchor Bay this year throughout the summer maybe than average too. This is the time of year Anchor Bay starts 'getting good' again so maybe you real good fishing report is only the beginning of even better fishing reports?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I'm going to start saving my pennies. I'd like to make 3 or 4 trips over there next year. Maybe I can get LaPorte to take me on his new Skeeter? 

Nice report. This west sider is jealous.

Dan

Enjoyed reading the report. Nice job!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

LAPORTE

Quote from: Mike S. on September 10, 2013, 05:55:44 AM
I'm going to start saving my pennies. I'd like to make 3 or 4 trips over there next year. Maybe I can get LaPorte to take me on his new Skeeter? 

Nice report. This west sider is jealous.

I would say lets go... but I had better check with work first. It seems lately that work has been winning out over fishing...
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Skulley

I have fished a lot less this year than I have in previous years because of travel soccer. When I have made it out to fish, I have tried to fish areas that I have never fished before or seldom have fished. My goal this year no matter how much I've fished was to learn as much new water as I could. Strawberry Island area was on my bucket list this season.

BD.                             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com