Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Done reading KVDs Bass Strategies

Started by gmetime24, November 14, 2012, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmetime24

I finally made it all the way through KVDs bass strategies revised edition. What a great book and good way to learn tons of new information. I understand why he is the best, his attention to every possible detail really gets you thinking.  I had to read many chapters 2 and 3 times just to try and soak it all in.

Now time to start his other book Secrets of a Champion

djkimmel

His books are among those few I consider resources more than just a book.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LennyB

Just ordered them on Amazon. They have a few used copies left for about $5.00ea with shipping.

Waterfoul

Taught the man every thing he knows.   ;D

I should write a book.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 15, 2012, 10:15:55 AM

I should write a book.

You should shut up!
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Redbone

Waterfoul

Quote from: Cy on November 15, 2012, 03:34:52 PM

You should shut up!

Well you should just.... just.... (gimme a second, I'm trying to think of something snide....)

Dang... nothing!

I need to go fishing and add another chapter to my book:

"Smallies in November Rock!"

I'll bet KVD isn't going to be catching smallies this weekend.  He's one of those dumb hunters!  LOL!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

gmetime24

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 15, 2012, 10:15:55 AM

I should write a book.

After seeing the amount of success you have slanging smallies that might not be a bad idea. I would sure take some learning lessons from your experience

gmetime24

Quote from: djkimmel on November 14, 2012, 10:15:59 PM

Your right it is like a resource. After a few tough days on the water this summer I found myself opening the book and looking up specific points that KVD makes just to see what I was possibly doing wrong. Even when me and my buddies have conversations on gear, lures, and weather conditions I will go back and compare to what KVD thinks. But like he says in his book you still have to go out and learn for yourself and find what fits your style of fishing....Still doesn't hurt to try his opinions first

Waterfoul

Quote from: gmetime24 on November 16, 2012, 09:08:18 AM

After seeing the amount of success you have slanging smallies that might not be a bad idea. I would sure take some learning lessons from your experience

Na, I just get lucky often enough to look good!  LOL!!

djkimmel

Quote from: gmetime24 on November 16, 2012, 09:14:43 AM
Quote from: djkimmel on November 14, 2012, 10:15:59 PM

Your right it is like a resource. After a few tough days on the water this summer I found myself opening the book and looking up specific points that KVD makes just to see what I was possibly doing wrong. Even when me and my buddies have conversations on gear, lures, and weather conditions I will go back and compare to what KVD thinks. But like he says in his book you still have to go out and learn for yourself and find what fits your style of fishing....Still doesn't hurt to try his opinions first

You are getting his message. He has repeated it a zillion times but many people keep asking him the same questions over and over that he has answered. No magic. Just determination, experience and confidence.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: MBFT on November 15, 2012, 06:15:41 AM
Just ordered them on Amazon. They have a few used copies left for about $5.00ea with shipping.

If anyone does take a look at Amazon, please START from the link on the right edge of this forum. You can search through the GreatLakesBass.com store on Amazon or click the Amazon logo from there to go right to Amazon.com. I buy things fairly often from Amazon because of the selection and prices. Thanks.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 16, 2012, 10:27:39 AM
Quote from: gmetime24 on November 16, 2012, 09:08:18 AM

Na, I just get lucky often enough to look good!  LOL!!

You'd be nothing without Ed's "Stuff"  !!!!!  Hahahaha  LOLOLOLOL    :D

BIGSHOW

Just might have to pick this up. I noticed the old (1996) version is .86. Then 3.99 shipping. I wonder how different the "revised edition" is?? Will do all my X-mas shopping through the GLB website link to amazon. Hope everyone else does too.

gmetime24

The revised edition adds another 4 chapters to the book.  Those 4 chapters are filled with tons of great information and much of it covers power fishing with finesse techniques and how to utilize your time on the water with a power approach. The other extra chapters talk about what the strike can tell you and how lake conditions can help you pick a technique.

Skulley

I have read this book and the thing that really came across to me was "keeping an open mind".  Don't be afraid to try something you haven't tried before when the bite is slow.  KVD didn't become as good as he is by being one dimensional.  Be versatile.  It tells you to let the fish tell you what they want.  Great book.  Everyone should own this in their fishing library.  And with winter coming on, its a good time to read.  I have several books that I can recommend that are good reads this winter.  Here they are:  Roland Martin's 101 Bass-Catching Secrets, anything from Ken Schultz is usually pretty good, Bassmasters Best Tactics and Techniques, Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic, any book from the In-Fisherman library on Smallmouth or Largemouth Bass Fishing to name just a few.  Other books by Van Dam are very good also.  Take notes if you are reading any of these books so that you can try some of the stuff you read about on your next trip.

BD                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

BIGSHOW

Thanks Bigdog. Your right about winter being a good time to read up and get ready for the next season. I'll look into these.

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks for the recommendation gmtime.  I have the original but not his newer books.  I'll have to check them out in a couple months.  To read them now would hurt too much. 

Not to go off on a tangent but are there any good resources specifically for Great Lakes smallmouth?  I've done some searches and never really found much.  Thanks for any info. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Waterfoul

Look for Wayne Carpenter's books at Combat Fishing.

Skulley

Wayne's books are outstanding for LSC. I would highly recommend them if that's where you're fishing. Great for the novice St. Clair angler. I own all of his books. I will be reading all of them again. But do read all you can especially books on techniques and presentations.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com