Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

good fish finder + gps!!!??

Started by cool fisher, January 01, 2013, 05:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Need a good finder+gps in range 1000$ +/-200$

fish finders
0 (0%)
recommend a fish finder
0 (0%)
fish finder + gps
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: January 11, 2013, 05:31:58 PM

cool fisher

Hey guys, recommend me a good finder+gps, i had a lowerence bud it went out just the finder, wanna upgrade to something better, i do a lot of fishing in SC lakes fresh water, (if any one from here answers)
something in a range of 1000-1200$.... thanks a lot!!

Mike S.

You can get a Humminbird 798c HD side imaging combo for about $1, 050. That's on the Humminbird website. You could also get the 858c down imaging combo through them for about $950. That one has a bigger screen and down imaging, but no side imaging. Plus they both read map cards which are a very nice tool to have. I have the 858c on the bow of my boat. I didn't buy the down imaging one. It's a nice unit. Get the biggest one you can afford. The bigger the display, the easier to read. I like my Humminbird's.

Look around. You can probanly get better prices than the ones on the HB site. I know I sure did. Ebay is the ticket.

bigjc

I have been a lowrance guy for years, but I am slowly but surely switching to H/B.  I would say in that price range, the 898c si would be the way to go.  It is the unit I am hoping to upgrade to this spring

Mike S.

The only reason I didn't list that one was price. The $1499 list was a little higher than his $1200. But, the side imaging is awesome. It would definitely be worth saving for a little bit longer for a SI unit with a larger screen. Trust me, I saved for an 1197 csi two years ago and it is the ultimate. It even gives me something else to hide behind when running across the lake.

markgoetsch

I saw 998 si's going for 1400 online before christmas.

Lightningboy

Depends on a what you want to do with it.  Is it for the dash, or the bow?  How much room do you have to mount it?

I use Lowrance, but there's a lot of good units out there for around a thousand.  Buy what you like & fits your budget, but a few suggestions are:

Get the biggest screen you can.

GPS with on screen map is incredible.  Even if you don't fish large waters.  Makes finding that boat ramp in the dark a breeze.

Side imaging will change how you fish.  Being able to really see objects under water and mark them will change how you aproach a spot to fish it.

Stop at BP, Cabelas, etc. and kick some tires.  You'll narrow it down easy.

Check out reconditioned units.  You can sometimes pick them up for a great deal.

Bigjc- I was OK with knowing you even though there's no black motor on the back of your rig, but now you're gonna become a 'bird man too?  Man, the world is just going down the tubes... ;D

motocross269

I like features of both HB and Lowrance...I think Lowrance has the best 2d sonar...

I fish HBs now and just sent a couple of units in for work....HB Service was awesome..They have came a long way....

Lightningboy

HB!

No, Lowrance!

Chevy/Ford, Ranger vs. Triton, etc.

It's hard to buy a bad unit now days.  Only reason I prefer Lowrance is like moto, I don't like the look of HB down sonar.  But I also don't like the screen switching speed on my HD's.

Really, go take a good look at both, and see what you can get a deal on.

Waterfoul

Several of you have said you don't like the looks of the HB down imaging?  Not sure what you are refering to.  I have both units on display here at the store and if you put them both on down imaging, and in the same color pallet I really don't see a difference.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

Ken,

At least my truck has a bow tie!

Lightningboy

Be happy to always give you that BigJC

Reality is your'e a man with standards that are tough to live up to.

That's a good thing.  Be a measure others should stand up to.   ;D

bigjc

Thanks Ken! See you on the water bro.