Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best Angler of 2008

Started by JohnBoy, January 04, 2009, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBoy

As I was surfing around I noticed that you guys have talked about the best curcuit, the best lake, best boats , etc. What I havent found is a discussion on the best angler. What I would like to know is who was the best angler in michigan for 2008 in your opinions. You cant nominate yourself and I want to know the reason for your pick.

Who is the best Jig fisherman
Who is the best topwater fisherman
Who is the best Dropshot fisherman
Who is the best Jerkbait fisherman
what ever lure you can think of.
And the big question Who it the best all around fisherman From last year.

It doesnt have to be a member of the forum but do give a reason for your picks. Have fun with this and give someone a big head.

motocross269

The best Dropshot fisherman I have seen is Jeff Weiderman from Team Bass..I have fished the BFLs and quite a few other tourneys from the back seat and he has been the best that I have been around...
He won our Club Circuit and took second at the BASS state championship so he has proven himself using that tactic against some tough fisherman...

The best all around guys are hard to pick..It seems like everything now is focused on the big water so we don't really have the chance to see who may be the best on many different lakes...Derek Cummins seems to be about as versatile as anyone...I have never fished with him, but he has performed well in alot of different arenas...

Cheetam

Jeff

LGMOUTH

The best sight fisherman I have had the pleasure fishing against is Marc Snyder. He is just amazing at what he does. He is not only a great bed fisherman he sight fishes throughout the whole year.

JIg- Rick Mast- Was very good this past year throwing a jig on any lake on the west side.
Topwater- Not sure
DropShot- Dont know enough people that use it
CrankBait- Greg Mangus- He can catch crankbait fish in amazing places.

motocross is right on track with Derek Cummins, Ive gotten to fish with Derek a couple of times and he is very good and versitile. But didnt fish enough last year here in michigan to be my pick.

(Although he doesnt live in michigan but does most of his fishing here) Greg Mangus has to be my No. 1 pick. He can go to just about any body of water and use any technique and finish at the top. Just an amazing fisherman.

Of course on the pro side it has to be KVD
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

DDBethke

for all around in Michigan, I've gotta pick Scott Emery and Joe Pappas they dominated St.Clair and Erie in 2008 in my opinion...
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

dashaver63

Don't forget about Mark Modrak, he had a terrific year last year. The best all around fisherman I fished with last year was Mike Trombley. I saw him use 5 different techniques in a BFL last year to catch 23+ lbs.

djkimmel

From what I've heard, LGMOUTH is the best jerk bait angler... but he has enough modesty not to say so. Haven't seen firsthand for myself, but it's on the todo list (he might not know that yet ;D ). Dave Reault is right close by. Both are members on the forum.

Mike Trombley is one of the best anglers I've seen - I was in the boat with last year. I wouldn't want to 100% single him out since Clapper is so good and so is Joe Balog. Hard to say off the top of my head who had the best year in 2008 overall without thinking about it for a while and refreshing my memory. They are all members on our forum thank goodness. So is Mark Modrak, who had his best year ever, I'd have to say. Kim Stricker is not a member, but he visits and reads at times. He had a pretty good year too.

Hard to make a choice without even throwing in the anglers who mostly fish nationally and other anglers from the Great Lakes region. So many big bags being brought in. Look at Chip Harrison for example. He kicked in 25 pounds at the St. Clair BFL like it was nothing!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

squid

For coming up with excuses why he can't be somewhere - Doug Scott...lol....For having the best Randy Ramsey story...Doug Scott..Oh we are looking for fishermen....hummmm...Yeah I am a dead man for this one....lol

Mangus is one

Don Watts could be another(west side only), but I am not to sure...he fishes with Mangus....lol....learning curve there.

Derrick Cummins is another.

There are a lot of good anglers in Michigan.  There are a couple I would list if they didn't cry about things ALL THE TIME.  JMHO

Dan Kimmel is not on any of these lists.....lol...Love ya Dan.

Waterfoul

This topic is actually quite vague if you want to say who's the best in Michigan.  I fish mostly on the west side... many fish mostly on the east side.  I know some VERY good anglers over this way but coudln't possibly say who's the best at anything in MICHIGAN for sure.  On the west side I'd say Jason Ammerman is a TOP jig fisherman for sure.  Don Watts can throw the jerkbait as well as anyone.  Denny Mcalister is a heck of a tube fisherman.  And trying NOT to sound conceited I honestly don't know anyone over this way that can oufish me with the drop shot.

While I "know of" most of the names others have mentioned here... I've not had the pleasure of fishing with or against most of them.

I do hear that this DJKimmel guy is a pretty good angler though...  ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BryanP

I'd have to split the jerkbait category between Don Watts and Dave Reault.  Both have their very specific jerkbait techniques at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.  Reault has to be without a doubt the best on the big water.  It's no secret he favors the Pointer 100 and can make it do things nobody else can.  The cool part is he's not afraid to share it with his boat partners.  Watts on the other hand.....I've never fished with Don, but I do fish with Mangus as much as anyone, and he's always telling me about how Don caught the BBOT when they fish together.

Jig-probably Mangus.

Crankbait-Chip Harrison.  I spent 2 days in the boat with him practicing for the BFL he won.  Mangus would be a close second.

Drop Shotter--could be a number of guys.

Overall versatility--Brian Hensley-He can catch them everywhere, bigwater or inland, and on just about any technique.

Best Overall Pro--KVD of course!

TCook

Overall-Mangus, Harrison, Hepler
East side-Reault, Modrak
West side-Mast
shallow-Snyder
Deep (Erie)-Clapper, Balog
Pro-KVD
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

I would say Dan Kimmel is definitely in the top 9.8 million... in Michigan... definitely... I don't fish enough now to be on top of my game (maybe best at partners falling the water...??), but at my best I've always been very streaky. Short streaks of good weight followed by my own rendition of Keystone Bass Anglers for longer stretches in between. :D

I do pretty good at times though giving other anglers spots I didn't think were real good only to watch them kick butt on them ;D still haven't figured that one out yet. That should tell me something about my own shortcomings anyway...

Now, for nicest super good Great Lakes region bass angler, no one has mentioned Kevin Vida yet. Awesome angler. Super nice. Trombly and Clapper are right there with him, but it would be a tough call...??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

I like T Cooks list. Don't know a couple of names, but the rest I would have to agree on. For sure Rick Mast on the west side. He's a stick!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

LGMOUTH

Quote from: djkimmel on January 04, 2009, 10:49:09 PM
From what I've heard, LGMOUTH is the best jerk bait angler... but he has enough modesty not to say so. Haven't seen firsthand for myself, but it's on the todo list (he might not know that yet ;D ). Dave Reault is right close by. Both are members on the forum.

Your right I didnt know that yet, but I will go out anytime with the master.....
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

JohnBoy

Quote from: jcheetam on January 04, 2009, 06:34:37 PM
Pros, amateurs or both?

I was looking for amateurs but it doesnt really matter. I guess after reading all of the posts I should have asked who was the best on the west and east sides and who you think would be the best all around.. It looks like over and over again the same names are coming up so keep it going and we will tally them up at the end..

canvsbk

Mangus - of course

BUT NO!! He's not from Michigan ;) ;)

So that makes it Hensley, hands down, anywhere, anytime.
Look past what they want you to see.

JohnBoy

Doesnt look like anyone else wants to boast about their favorite so here is the tally.

Greg Mangus for Jig
Marc Snyder for shallow water
Greg Mangus for Crankbait
Don Watts for Jerkbait

Mark Modrak for East Side
Rick Mast for West side

Greg Mangus for all around