Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

CONTEST TIME ! - Whoever has a better LSC story than this wins a ..

Started by Mojo, May 27, 2013, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Set of 3/8 and 1/2 oz Freak jigs of your color choice (pick from their website) -

Just need to top this (Vote to ensue by GLB forum):

Vince and I were out Sunday, noodling around in 4-6 fow, and this is how we started our day.... I popped into a very nice 4 lbr and as he brought the net, it needed some unfolding.... at the same time another one of my rods started screaming  and moved down the back of the boat !! I grabbed it just in time to realize another big fish had smacked a lure I had trailing about 1 foot in the water !! The Kustom Kicker tube jig was hooked up and now I had two fish on, about 7 lbs and Vince had his hands full with the net !!

So the G2 Loomis took a beating as I arched it all back to get the remaining line and fish close enough to be netted, while the St Croix Avid held its own unreeled for about 30 sec until we could bring the second fish in !! OK... does it get better .... mayyyyybe .... Vince pounds a series of very 4 - 5 lb big fish off a ledge, and I bottom tap a crank bait to bring in a another 4 lbr...... so we leave our first area with about 19 lb..... I'd say any of the other 20 fish were all bonus fish to finish our day ....

Lets hear about your crazy LSC happenings ??  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

mikballa

Nice job mojo or Mr.Lucky did you play the lottery sunday!!!

Revtro

A couple of years back I was fishing with Fiker in the St. Clair River in an area known to be pretty snaggy.  In fact, that day I got hung up more times than I can count.  On one pass, Fiker also got snagged...or so we thought.  He started reeling and his line was coming up.  We started to wonder...what have we hooked?  It was strong current, so maybe we really had something but couldn't feel any shaking.   Maybe it was a Sturgeon?  Maybe it was an old tire?  As whatever it was got near the top, we saw what we thought to be a branch from a tree (that would be my luck), but not for old lucky Fiker.  It was a G-Loomis Rod with a Curado reel on it!!!  Fiker was able to get a replacement for the rod and was able to clean up the reel.  What's the profit for the day?  Like maybe $300-$400?  Nice.  Now that's what I call a catch!  

Fiker, if this post wins, I'll split the prize with ya. :)
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Mini

Until you have traded a net for an hour and a half topwater fishing. I catch one you net it, then you throw out and catch one. while I am unhooking it frantically you are reeling one in, then I net that. Then I throw out and hook another while you are frantically unhooking your fish and then net mine.....repeat. For 90 minutes.

Happened in the opening day tournament in 1998 or 1999 I beleive. We won :)

Mojo

TimH

I wish my story was one like to other ones listed here, but unfortunately it isn't.  It is however too good of a story to not share with everyone, so here it is.  I can look back and laugh about it now, but not when it happened.
Last year, my buddy and I were fishing about a 1/2 mile south of the GP Yacht Club.  I just finished tossing a fish back into the water as his rod doubles over and he fights in a nice 4 lbr.  In my haste to get my lure back in the water, I made a real awkward cast to avoid hooking him while he was unhooking his fish.  Somehow during the cast, I managed to hook the eyelet on one of my rods sitting on the casting deck and proceeded to sling it off the boat.  I watched in horror as my lure, now attached to my Abu Vendetta with BPS Pro Qualifer reel fly through the air and land in the water about 20 yards from the boat.  I thought, no big deal, I'll just reel it in and all will be good.  Nope, apparently when it hit the water the lure came unattached from the rod.  I immediately jump in the seat, fired the boat up and motored over to where I saw it hit.  I got to the spot just in time to watch my rod and reel drop slowly out of range from my net.  After several minutes of expletives, my buddy and I tried dragging to bottom of the lake with tubes hoping to catch the rod, but to no avail.
After several more minutes of expletives, we headed in for the day, put the boat on the trailer and headed for Bass Pro Shops so I could replace the set up.
As I said I can laugh now, but this was not one of my "prouder moments".

MarkWieck

may 17th 2013.  i took out my good friends from up north on LSC.  this was their first time ever on the water.  we starting out just north of 9 mile at about 8AM.  my buddy Clint hooked the 2nd fish of the day and as he was reeling it in it went right to the bottom and bent his rod in half.  we thought we had a 6 pounder on so he slowly worked him in.  as what we thought was a 6 pounder, was a 14 inch SMB in the mouth of a 50+ inch musky.  all you could see was the smallmouth's eyes and gill.   the rest of the fish was in the mysky's mouth.  we were all freeking out.  i wasnt sure how i was going to net the musky with a bass fishing net and when i said F it im going for him, the musky released.  about 15 seconds later the musky hit the fish again bent his rod in half again.  this time i was ready to net him. then we got both the musky and the bass by the boat, i went for him and he let go again.  we flipped the bass in the boat, looked at this wounds and released him back into the water.  it's a day that i will never forget.  our hearts were pumping blood at a high rate for hours.  what a day.

fiker

Tom you left out part of the story.  That was the second rod/reel combo I'd caught from that same location about a year previous to the day.  I was also on your boat that day too. 

I got a GL3 Loomis rod for $50 including shipping.  I traded the cleaned up but not working very well Curado Super Free to Bender for a Lowrance map chip. 

The rod retailed at the time for $235, and the chip retailed for around a $100.  Best cash day of my life for what I could haul out on hook and line.

Tom, if you win, you can collect the whole prize. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Quote from: fiker on July 01, 2013, 11:47:13 PM
Tom you left out part of the story.  That was the second rod/reel combo I'd caught from that same location about a year previous to the day.  I was also on your boat that day too. 

I got a GL3 Loomis rod for $50 including shipping.  I traded the cleaned up but not working very well Curado Super Free to Bender for a Lowrance map chip. 

The rod retailed at the time for $235, and the chip retailed for around a $100.  Best cash day of my life for what I could haul out on hook and line.

What color did you catch that rod combo on?!? ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

2 rods / reels off the same rock pile / wreck ??? Holy Canoli !! That might be our winner ???

fiker

I'm not sure about the first rod/reel the first year.  The second one came on an Xtreme Tube, (5") in either Canadian Mist or St. Clair Goby.  I fished it with a 3/8 oz jig head and Power Pro line. 

Both combos were hooked through the largest eye let remaining on the rod. 

The odds have got to be astromonical! 

I'd always wondered whether expensive rods were worth the extra money or not.  They are.  The down side to this story, (if there is one) is that now I have all expensive rods.  I had to go out and buy 8 more, one for each technique. 

Mojo

Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2013, 01:41:58 PM

2 rods / reels off the same rock pile / wreck ??? Holy Canoli !! That might be our winner ???

Note: Tom and I met up n fished, he was our winner !!!! 3 jigs n a few lures to boot !! Congrats Tom.

fiker

BIGSHOW

The only rod/reel I ever caught was a old shakespear with a Kmart sticker still on it. I felt like just throwing it back. But I tossed it out at the launch.