Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 04:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Nothing to Hang on the Wall, but I got Steaks

Started by rufus, November 27, 2006, 07:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus

Working for the school, I get a 5 day Thanksgiving break here in Indiana, and the weather could not have been better. I was able to hunt the amazing piece of property my friend leases all weekend. I ended my buck season way too early into on Thursday morning. If anyone knows me, they know I will not shoot it if I won't hang it on my wall. Well, Thursday morning there was a very dense fog that set in. The stand I use is 20 yards from the Pigeon River in a wetlands area so the fog was even more dense than that. I could see about 50 yards total in all directions. I could hear a lot of movement, including some grunting in the field east of me, but could not see a thing. The 400 acre property next to where I am hunting has not had a hunter on it ever (unless they were trespassing) so it is like hunting next to a wildlife refuge. The deer stay pretty comfortable all season. I get mostly used to watching deer not cross the property line, but every once in a while a hot doe will make a big ole buck make a mistake. Well, I had decided I would take the first big doe I saw and then wait for my big ole buck to show up the rest of the weekend. At about 9 am I heard footsteps getting closer and out of the fog came a very large doe with twins in tow. They did not appear to have any buck bucks folllowing them so I decided to take this doe. I placed the crosshairs on her and squeezed the trigger. She only went about 20 yards and fell over. She was a very big doe pushing the 150 pound mark and I could already smell the salami. I called my buddy on the phone and he said just to wait about 30 minutes till the fog cleared and we would take care of her. I told him that was fine and put another slug in the chamber just in case mossyhorns came running by. Well about 5 minutes later about 10 more does crossed the line and very nervously trotted by me at about 30 yards. I could hear a lot of grunting behind them and I just knew in my mind the one I was waiting for was getting ready to step into view. Well after approximately a 2.5 second wait I got a glimpse of horns in the fog and brush corssing the property line. I saw a long 7-8 inch tine and did not even focus on anything else, I knew he was a wallhanger and this was my chance. I picked up the gun and put the crosshairs on his chest as soon as he stepped out of the brush. Well I squeezed the trigger and he instantly buckled and noseplowed to within 15 yards of my stand. To my amazement right in front of me layed a very large bodied 6 pointer that had a 8 inch G-2 on his left antler. Besides the one 8 inch G-2 the rest of the horns were typical scrubby. He was about 10 inches inside with about 13 inch main beams :-\'. I thought I had me a wallhanger and I shot some good eating instead. Due to our one buck rule in Indiana I am done for the season. I can still harvest two more does, but I may just bring the boat back out and fish till the water gets hard. I hope everyone gets the deer of their dreams. God Bless and Good Hunting
rufus