Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 08:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Crankbait Rod for under $100

Started by tubechucker, February 09, 2011, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubechucker

I'm looking to purchase a crankin rod this year with hopes to throw small cranks, jerkbaits up to traps.  I can't spend $250 on a premo rod.  Have you guys used any of the cranking rods that are $100 and under BPS Crankin, KVD, St. Croix, Premiere? 

I am thinking I need a med action 7 footer...  Also, Shimano has 20 off the compre cranking rod bringing it down to $80.

I also noticed a lot of "cranking rods" are graphite and not composite or glass like I thought a crank rod needed to be.  Any advice on what to look for?

Cy

I would skip he BPS Crankin' Stick.  I bought one, used it once and sold it.  I was the most "dead" rod I ever fished with.

The other I don't know much about.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

Companies are making huge advances now in rod production, so where you needed that moderate action before that could only be achieved with glass, they can now build it with graphite, giving you a huge advantage in feel, so you can tell what's going on below the water.
  As for a rod, you might be able to find some nice rods for sale without buying new, if you look in the right sites. Hope this helps.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

McCarter

i still have 2 or 3 new Powell 706 CB rods for sale for $100.

Just sayin....

McCarter himself :-\'

Durand Dan

Quote from: McCarter on February 09, 2011, 01:45:40 PM

Just sayin....

OK, I'll take all 3 for $100 total!! ;D ;D ;D

2k JIGS

djkimmel

eBay rods, reels, line and tackle

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Quote from: McCarter on February 09, 2011, 01:45:40 PM

Just sayin....

Got me a couple of them Mccarter garage rods.  Like brand new and a great deal.

Puma

Okuma, is making some great rods for around $120 retail. I had a Citrix in my hand at the show and it sure had a great feel.  They are guaranteed for life, even if you get ticked and break it over your knee - and they don't charge you anything to replace it.  Just bring it back to the store where you got it. Tough to beat that.  Downside is they are not American made, but then, what is 100% anymore.  My Ford was made in Mexico, my Honda in Alabama.   ???

MadWags

Your GLB price on a Grandt All American Series in 6'6"-7' would be $109.00 plus shipping.
The blanks are Grandts own high mudulus design made in the USA. The cork comes from South America, the thread from Germany and the components from Japan. They are made in the Grandt facility in Oklahoma. They carry an unconditional lifetime warranty and in my mind are the best rod value on the market.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

tubechucker

What power/action/length would you guys suggest?  I am thinking a medium action 7 footer would be the most universal rod for most cranks.  I like to throw strike king series 3's and traps.  From what I understand the only thing a med action 7 footer won't work well for is deep diving cranks.  Does that sound correct?

I would love to go out and get a whole arsenal of new rods to fit all purposes but the reality is I can get one.

2k JIGS

The med. rod will work good for the series 3, but if you like to rip traps you are going to need med. heavy or a heavy.

McCarter

medium action is good for chucking and winding traps, but like sunset said, a heavier action would be better for ripping grass.

the Powell 706 can handle a Strike King Series 5 with no problems, but you wont want to throw a Series 6XD on it.  Its also a great rod for throwing traps over grass flats and tearing them back.

Waterfoul

I don't think you can go wrong with any Shimano product.  If you can get a Clarus for $100 I'd be taking a serious look at it.  Great warranty.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MBell

McCarters Powells are sick for $100.  I also like the KVD's but they are $150 and a little wimpy so you'll prob want a MH.
-Matt

MadWags

The Grandt 7' Meduim will handle all of the above and some.
Just ask Mojo. :D
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Cheetam

The best cranking rod I own is the cheapest one I bought.  It's a St. Croix Pro Glass 7' Medium.  I bought it 7 or 8 years ago for ~$70.  I think that rod is now in the Premier line and over $100, but if you look around maybe you can find one cheaper.  I have owned graphite and composite rods, but none have come close to how that rod fishes.  I can't explain it, but the others just don't "feel" right.  I did just buy a Powell 754 for deep cranking, but I haven't used it yet.  It's on sale at unnamed for under $120 shipped.  I've been looking for a longer glass (over 7 ft) rod that can handle deep divers and for that price, what the heck.  I haven't fished with the others, so....
Jeff

JL

I think I saw somewhere that St. Croix in there Mojo line has a couple of crankbait specific rods that were longer and glass.  I would assume that the blank is similar or the same as the premier line of crankbait rods. 

t-bone

Jeff - I picked up the Powell too. Got it in the mail last week from unnamed. Ordered a Lews Tournament Pro reel to pair with it. The Powell really feels like a nice rod to chuck large cranks for some small swimbaits.

Quote from: Cheetam on February 11, 2011, 07:37:05 PM
The best cranking rod I own is the cheapest one I bought.  It's a St. Croix Pro Glass 7' Medium.  I bought it 7 or 8 years ago for ~$70.  I think that rod is now in the Premier line and over $100, but if you look around maybe you can find one cheaper.  I have owned graphite and composite rods, but none have come close to how that rod fishes.  I can't explain it, but the others just don't "feel" right.  I did just buy a Powell 754 for deep cranking, but I haven't used it yet.  It's on sale at unnamed for under $120 shipped.  I've been looking for a longer glass (over 7 ft) rod that can handle deep divers and for that price, what the heck.  I haven't fished with the others, so....
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Durand Dan

Quote from: Cheetam on February 11, 2011, 07:37:05 PM

Jeff,
Is this the one you are refering to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320655108667&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT