Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

DQd ???? Really?

Started by Mojo, September 06, 2013, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

After the finish of a 3 day tournament, after demonstrating the kill switch works each morning, a buddy of mine had turned in his boat number tag, was putting away to the dock a to load the boat, and as he moved around the boat, his kill switch popped off but didn't kill the motor. An official who was by standing, observed it and said something.

My buddy tried to show it worked, but the official DQd him. Is this even possible ? he protested immediately. What the heck?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Waterfoul

I'd argue it up and down, all around.  All he should have to do is prove it works once.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mojo

He proved it worked each day in the morning. All I can think of is he ran without it attached.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

motocross269

What a drag...all that time and effort down the drain...
I wasn't there so wont comment on the official's call but I feel bad for the angler..no doubt

djkimmel

That's a little odd but safety of every is extremely important. I have seen a couple people pull some fast ones in the old days with nonworking safety equipment but I haven't seen it in many years. I hope the vast majority of anglers know better nowadays.

I can feel for your buddy but I understand if the official does not want to even take a chance when it comes to safety equipment.

The worst that has happened to me has generally been a light or livewell that worked before the morning boat check but didn't work during the actual check causing me to launch late while I try to figure out what is going on.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

isn't it possible the switch broke during the tournament?  sounds like bs to me.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Possible. But... you are not supposed to compete with nonworking safety equipment. I don't think many tournament organizations would want to be potentially liable if knew about a possible safety equipment issue and did not act according to their rules.

I could see some tournament directors/officials might overlook it, but then they could end up regretting it too if something actually happened, or a later claim was made by the rider or another observer. If a court case occurred and the official was asked if he/she observed the switch fail, he/she would have to say yes, possibly making additional people and the organization liable. There's goes your insurance and your circuit. Possibly worse.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishhound

Something just doesnt sound exactly right about all that. The key here is that he proved it worked every morning. if it broke during the day or something there isnt any way he would have known that short of something breaking off or it getting pulled. Id be fighting that hard.

djkimmel

You could fight it, but pretty much every significant tournament circuit requires that you have working safety equipment. They wouldn't know if you knew it was broke or when it was broke.

They do know that you are required to have working safety equipment at all times during your participation in the event which is also often defined, and not necessarily just from start of fishing until end or fishing, and if it breaks during the event, you can't just continue to fish and not tell them. That is not how the safety rules work. For many good reasons. I can understand why the anglers would be upset and why the tournament official would still have to rule dq. I would support the tournament official because I have run them before, and it's not that different from running a user-content driven website where you aren't liable in most cases for what someone posts, unless you are notified of something illegal. Then... you are obligated to remove it.

The tournament official became aware of an apparent safety rule violation and had to act. If we were talking about a club tournament, I could see a little more outrage, but the op mentioned 3-day tournament so it sounds more advanced than a club tournament so even less surprise of strict enforcement of this type of rule. I have definitely seen the tricks pulled to cover up faulty safety equipment, and the rule also again, does not just mean you have to show it works at boat check. The rule is meant that you have to have working safety equipment the entire time you are involved in the event. A good official knows that.

I feel for the official because it sucks to dq someone, especially if it appears to not be an intentional act. You still have to dq the person though. That's what tournament officials are there for.

Also, more on why I never liked running tournaments. Too many what-ifs, headaches, complaining, lack of appreciation for the effort, etc., etc. Who likes having to dq someone? Not very many people. But the really good organizations know they have to do it. 100%. No exceptions. Every time. That's part of what separates a good organization that lasts from the groups that come and go.

djkimmel

If we knew what circuit or organization, maybe we could look up the defined tournament participation time. If the switch failed to work anytime during that time it is a dq violation in any significant circuit I'm aware of.

If the boater was outside the defined tournament time, then maybe he has a case for reconsideration depending upon the circuit and any past practices. Any of the major circuits I participated with in the past would dq you right until you were on the trailer after the weigh in was closed for most violations like this unless a protest was lodged, usually within x number of minutes in writing after close of the weigh in for something that happened anytime during the defined tournament, which could be from pre-tournament meeting, or even the start of official practice, until x number of minutes beyond the close of the final tournament weigh in.

bigjc

I would have raised some serious HECK!  I would have either got back my entry fee in cash or the tx directors butt.

I would challenged the clown on when did he think that it stopped working properly?  And then asked him to prove his lame allegations.  Disqualifying someone from a tournament is not something to be take lightly.  I am normally pretty easy going, but I have no tolerance for morons, especially morons who use their pee poor judgment in positions of authority.

Redbone

Sounds like he did not hook up to the switch and got busted.

djkimmel

We all usually agree to a rule that says the tournament director and/or officials have final say. I wasn't there and I'm not claiming anyone in this case actually did something on purpose. I'm just glad I don't run tournaments. It's a thankless job that causes lots of grief when you don't follow all the rules strictly AND when you do follow all the rules strictly. Seems like a lose - lose.

When I was fishing tournaments, I'd have to say I'm glad some people are willing to put up with the headaches associated with being a tournament director.

I have seen certain types of kill switches fail when the cord is pulled out slowly. I still understand why an official seeing that would dq someone. I have seen the aftermath of an unused or non-working kill switch. It is never a good thing to see. Twice I have talked to fishing friends who were recovering from involvement in fatalities due to either an unused or failed kill switch. It is an important rule that has to be strictly enforced.