Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 05:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fuel additives.

Started by fiker, February 28, 2011, 03:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huston

There are two types of Stabil on the market. Regular and one with an ethanol deterrent. The ethanol deterrent one is labeled, cost about $10.00 for a small bottle and $20.00 for a big bottle. The big bottle is the best deal and I think with the increase in ethanol in our fuel is going to make this item a hot commodity at least among boat owners.

fish hound

fiker,
I'm not sure the stabil completely eliminates the effects of ethanol, or just makes it not separate out.  It depends on how long ago your boat was rigged. Check out:

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=526471-performance-problems-upgrade-your-fuel-line-primer-bulb-first

Changing a fuel line for peace of mind is a lot cheaper than the alternatives.
Hope this helps,

Matt

bassfan586

E10 only seperates when it sits for a long period right?  I change my fuel filter every year use stabil over the winter and thats about it.  I'm going off info from the etech owners group forum.  Motor runs great.  just changed plugs last year.  Tech said everything looks good.  Gas doesn't sit long in my tank when i'm on lsc.  Inland lakes maybe a month or so between fill ups.
Got one!

stackenem

I have used ring free in every tank of gas that has been put in my boat and I have had NO problems at all with my motor. 2006 yammie 150. Runs like a champ. Last time I had it in I asked if I should change the plugs and was told if it was running fine not to worry about it.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

fiker

I found several articles on the Boat U.S. site re: ethanol in gasoline.

Link to an article found there entitled "With E15, Boaters, Anglers Will Need Extra Vigilance When Filling Up at the Gas Station":

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=616

I believe in our discussion last year we learned that gasoline with ethanol in it gives poorer gas mileage.  So I'm guessing that more ethanol means even less potential energy per gallon.

In the article entitled "Three Myths About Ethanol"   Seaworthy April 2010 pg. 9

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/SeaApr10Ethanol.pdf

The third question  found in the right hand column:  "Are there additives that will prevent phase separation?"  seems to go along with this thread.  

I found this sheet most informative:
"Boat US Ethanol Fact and Tip Sheet"
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/e10Tips.pdf

So, what I'm reading tells me to never use even E10 in my boat no matter what additives I'm using.  It can phase separate and cause problems.  So, how do I determine which gas stations do not use ethanol in their gas?  I was told that with E10 in Michigan that they don't have to put a sticker on their tanks like they used to.  
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

huston

Looks like to me we're in trouble with this new gasoline. I read all those articles and looks like fuel is already going to be $ 4.00 a gallon and Stabil isn't the answer either. What does quickleen do?

Waterfoul

You will have to look long and hard to find a single gas station on LAND that does not have ethanol in their regular gas.  The Valvetect station at many marinas do not add ethanol to their regular gas, but you will pay a premium per gallon to get it on the water.

In the Grand Rapids area I do not know of a single gas station that is selling ethanol free regular gas.

On the same token as the ethanol issue... running 91-93 octane premium gas in a boat motor not designed to run on it is also considered a no-no by the manufactures and every mechanic I know.

This is from the label on the Merc/Quicksilver Quickleen:

Use in 2 and 4 cycle engines each tme it is fueled
Use in all octane grades of gasoline including gasoline with ethanol added
Quickleen Engine Treatment helps restore maximum power and performance
Synthetic cleaners remove deposits in the combustion chamber while preventing corrosion and future deposits from forming
High concentrate formula
One ounce to 6 gallons.

I run this on the recommendation of my mechanic and Mercury.  Bear in mind that this is not an ethanol treatment.

I also run Valvtect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment

From the bottle:

Specially formulated to prevent ethanol and non-ethanol gasoline related problems, improve engine performance and enhance fuel economy.  Continuous use helps.

Stabilize fuel up to 1 year
Keeps moisture in suspension (very important)
Prevent phase seperaton
Prevent octane loss
Prevent corrosion
Clean-up carbon deposits
Improve power and performance
Reduce fuel consumption
1 oz per 7 gallons

I run this after talking to the Valvetect rep here at my store, and seeing test results from an independent test of this product vs. other ethanol treatments.

With all this said, I don't get carbon deposits, my motor starts first turn of the key every time, I don't have water issues, and have not witnessed any phase seperation issues.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Frank

I went to the Oakland County Airport today.  they do not have 87 octane gasoline.  they have 100 octane low lead gas.  They also have "jet A" which they said is similar to kerosene.   I guess Ill still be filling up at the Londo Lake  Store in Hale, luckily its about 30 houses from my cabin.

Frank

bigjc

I run Evinrude brand fuel additives in every tank (both Carbon Guard and 2+4)  every marine mechanic I have spoken to about it has told me that they are both worth the investment.

fiker

I found a product at West Marine on Telegraph last fall. 

It is called Phase Guard 4.  It claims on the bottle that it prevents phase separation unlike many other additives. 

I put it in the tank for my winterization.  I figured this would be even better than Stabil.

I hope come Spring that I was correct.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

huston

Startron is a product that may help with the ethanol problem and there is a web site called www.pure-gas.org that list stations that sell ethanol free fuel.

bigmojet

If you are in NW Mich the Arcadia market and Bayview party.store in Frankfort both sell premium 90 octane with no ethanol.

Run it in my boat as well as my quad, generator, mowers, etc.

There is a small power loss with ethanol fuels but have run the non ethanol since new 2 years  ago so no reference.