Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Back from Louisiana. Not quite what I was expecting.

Started by Mike S., April 03, 2011, 12:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I got home from LA last night.  The trip was not at all what I was expecting it to be.  We drove for 2 days each way, and spent lots of money.  Here's what happened.

Day 1:  We went right to the lake on the first morning.  I learned that it is quite hard to fish with a 77 year old man who really can't handle his boat anymore.  The lake is FULL of stumps, so they have "boat roads" that are cut and marked with white poles sticking up above the water.  They are marked red and green like any other navigational buoy is.  He had a hard time keeping the boat between them.  We get to the spot that dad wanted to fish, and the wind kicks up.  Then, the trolling motor was running backwards.  Then, the tm wouldn't turn but half of the radius that it should.  He then drops the anchor, and there we sit.  Not fun casting at the same area for hours and not getting bit. 
  When we got home, I loaded my wife and kids into the van and showed them my childhood home, school, lake, hangouts, and the river that I loved fishing.  It was awesome for me.  Amazing how the area has grown.

Day 2:  A coolant leak has developed in our van, I now need a new radiator.  I took the van to a shop first thing in the morning, after the guy says I'll have it back that evening.  Well, he ordered the wrong radiator, so I didn't get the van back until the afternoon of day 3.  I fixed all the problems with my God father's boat.  He is old, so the tm was hooked to the battery backwards, and needed a new cable end on the positive side.  He had a new fish finder installed up front, and the cable for the transducer was zip tied so tight that the tm couldn't turn the way it should.  I fixed that.  His front light wasn't working.  The dealer he had install the fish finder messed up his wiring, and didn't crimp the ends on it when they tried to fix it.  Done.  Still no fishing. >:(

Day 3:  Out on the lake at 8 a.m.!!!  We go to a spot where they had done well this time of year before.  I'm excited.  We get there, and he beaches the boat and says now we can fish both sides of the peninsula.  WTF??????  I'm mad at this point.  I get a bite on a spinnerbait.  That's it.  We head across the lake to the area we lived on.  We get right behind the old house, and he ties us to a tree.  There we sit.  Unbelievable.  I finally hook and land a bass!  Nothing big, but a bass.  That is the extent of the fish catching.  Bummer.  We get home, and I get the van back.  We then head to the Sabine River to catch some stripers.  The dam is scheduled to open at 5, but it doesn't.  They only bite when the dam opens and the river comes up.  I call, and they changed the time from 5 to 8.  So, needless to say, I caught no striper.  I did get some sweet pics of them from the bridge above, which you can't fish from, or near.  You can see the huge school from 60 feet above or better.

Day 4:  We run over to Ft. Polk, to show my kids around the Army base, where I spent a lot of time as a kid.  Upon driving, I notice the van is shifting funny.  When I had the radiator done, he broke the lines to my transmission cooler, and replaced them with rubber lines.  I check the fluid, way low.  I head to Autozone, buy fluid, and start to fill it.  Look underneath, and the fluid is running out of the trans dipstick tube.  Needless to say, I spent 6 hours at a trans shop waiting for them to fix me up so I can drive home the next morning.  No fishing.  I'm livid at this point and everyone fights all day long.

What a trip.  But, I at least got to see my god father again before he goes.

Redbone

Yikes!  That sounds like something that would happen to me!  Just remember... It could always be worse!

LAPORTE

It sure is funny how stripers and carp look the same from above.... lol   I wish you had a better time wacken them

DL 
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Skulley

I'll bet that southern home cooking just can't be beat.  Did you have any of that genu-wine cajun grub??    ???    How about some Louisiana gumbo??    ???     How about some poboys or jambalaya??  Now I'm getting hungry. 

BD                                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mike S.

Oh yeah, my godmother is a wonderful cook.  Just so happens, though, my mother is too.  She still makes all the southern food here that we enjoyed down there.  If you are interested, BigDog, I'll get you her Louisiana gumbo recipe.

Skulley

You bet!!!  I'll bet it's good too.  The best!!!  DK has got to get an emoticon that drools.  Nothing like genu-wine Louisiana gumbo.     ;)

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mike S.

Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 03, 2011, 07:46:32 PM
You bet!!!  I'll bet it's good too.  The best!!!  DK has got to get an emoticon that drools.  Nothing like genu-wine Louisiana gumbo.     ;)

BD                        ;D
I'll get it from her, and I'll either post it, or PM it to you.  Everybody likes food, maybe Dan should put a food board up, as well as a drooling emoticon.

fiker

Sorry to hear of your vacations that pretty much wasn't. 

Perhaps you could sell the story?  You could market it as National Lamthingy Fishing Trip.   By now, Chevy Chase might pass for the old man, and you could be Rusty.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390