Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Anglers United on Wawasee

Started by rufus, April 20, 2006, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus

I was thinking of fishing the Bass Anglers United Tourney on Wawasee this weekend (the 22nd). Is anyone on here fishing and do they know anything about it. The entry is $125 with $25 membership. If we have to put up $175 it would be nice to see at least 50 boats. Any info on it would be appreciated. I call the tx director and he told me there would probably be 50 or more, but he wasn't sure.

djkimmel

I haven't fished them yet. I know Jay and he is enthusiastic about the circuit and has some good sponsorship support lined up. He's had fliers all over and talked about the events on some of the tournament Internet sites. He was at most of the fishing shows this spring handing out brochures and talking to anglers about the circuit.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

Me and DHuff are going down to fish the Auburn bassmasters open on Lake Hamilton on Sunday.  We saw that tournament too and decided to go with the open $65 team event.  The director said they usually get close to 50 boats. 
-Matt

rufus

Good Luck on Hamilton! I don't know if you have fished it before or not. I live about 10 minutes from it and boy does it have some big fish in it. Ever since LMBV hit it 5 years ago it is really struggling to come back like it used to be when it not only had bigguns', but a lot of fish period. There are a lot of fsih over 3 pounds, but very few smaller ones. It fishes veryyyyyy small now There will be one or two huge bags and it will drop off dramatically from there. I used to fish that tourney and usually cashed a check, but the payout is horrible after 1st place, but it is not all about the money. I was out there in early March and we really whacked them. We had one over 5 four over 4 four over 3 and 3 other keepers and also a 12 and 14 pound pike! Rattletraps, crankbaits, and black/blue jigs are usually the ticket on Hamilton in the spring. God Bless and Good Fishin'!
Rufus

MBell

We noticed real quick there were not many little fish in this lake.  We covered a ton of water hoping one stupid fish would give a school away but it never happened.  The tournament had around 50 boats, it was won with 7 fish at 21lbs.  We had 4 fish for just under ten pounds and when we left were in 12th place with only a few to weigh-in.  We were suprised by the 7 fish limits guys were bringing in, we couldn't find any small keepers anywhere.  Our fish were some early bedders, they would move up onto the beds with the sun, tough to catch though.  Every fish took about 1/2 hour to boat.  It was only a 7 hour tournament and that just killed our plans at bed fishing.  At 2p.m. when we weighed-in fish had come up all over the lake, we caught all of our fish in the last 3 hours. 
-Matt     

dhuff

Hey Heath.  It was our first time on Hamilton.  We just went down to get in some early tournament fishing.  We practiced all day Saturday and fournd quite a few beds in the afternoon that the fished moved up on once the sun and water temp rose.  We Started the day hitting some beds we thought may have fish on them early but there were none.  So we moved to the big Northernly Flat and covered that with one dink on a trap.  ONce the sun got up we went to the three beds we found in a canal and all of them had fish on them including one bed that had two real nice fish moving up and down on it but were really spooky.  We caught the first one in about ten minutes then we had tow ork the second fish for about a half hour I hooked him twice but both times he got off so we left him alone for a while and then came back to catch him.  By that time one of the big fish on the bed about 20 ft away had settled down on the bed right by shore.  I pitched a jig on the grass and kept dragging it on the bed and got the fish to hit.  That one went 3lbs and 5 or 6 oz something like that.  Anyways we moved from there to some beds we found Saturday on a shoreline in one of the bays and caught one fish off of the first bed and we were working the second bed when we had to leave for weigh in.  That 7 hour tourney really hurt us.  All of our fish were just moving up.  We were hoping they wouldn't be so tough to catch but they were and that took up a lot of our time.  With another hour or two I think we could of got our 7 fish limit and had around 15-18lbs with the fish we had on the beds.  We just couldn't get to them before the time was up.  Oh well I guess that is what you get for relying on a bed pattern in the early season.  We ended up with 4 nice fish for 9lbs and 11 oz.  Not to bad there were like 50 boats and about half ZEROED.  However,  Frank Randol ended up winning with 7 fish for 21 and change.  He did an awesome job.  I was glad to see him win if we couldn't.  He was always nice to me and talked to me when I was fishing the Lake James division there a few years ago.  Very good fisherman and a very humble guy. 

rufus

I had talked to Frank at the bait store on Friday night and he told me he was on them pretty good. A friend of mine was there on Saturday and burnt them up too. He was catching his fish on a wacky rigged Senko in shallow water. Frank probably caught them on a jig or critter craw. He is quite a fishermen. We fished the Southern Lower Michigan Division of the NBAA last year and did pretty well. We decided not to go to Kentucky Lake though for the classic next week. We usually fish at least one tourney a year together. If you ever need information from stuff around here he is a good man to get it from. He is very honest and will give you all that he can.
Normally a ten pound sack on Hamilton will get you a check, I think it is slowly recovering from LMBV that happened a few year back. God Bless and Good Fishin'!

dhuff

Hey Heath.  Send me an email with your emai or phone number if you don't mind.  I am going to get down there again in a few weeks and fish on James maybe we can meet up.  My email is dalebhuff@earthlink.net