Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2009 Transitioning To 2010

Started by Skulley, December 31, 2009, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

So here we are........New Year's Eve 2009.  Think back through the season and tell us here on GLBass.com what you did to improve your bassfishing.  What did you do new in 2009 that you didn't do previously to expand your "repetoire".  Your approach or maybe you mindset...........

Then tell us how you are going to approach the 2010 season.  Be as brief or as long winded as you want.  What baits are you going to try this year......or maybe what technique your going to try that you didn't do in 2009 to expand your "repetoire".

In 2009 I really tuned into throwing lures in places I haven't thrown them before.  Use different techniques for pulling fish out of areas that I would just pick out on a map.   Mojo can attest to this as he got a lesson in pulling up on a spot one just choses off the map.  Funny thing that day was we caught bass on every one of those spots.  We went to waypoints that I chose off of a St. Clair chart.  Some of these were consistant with the Marked Map Series.  Good piece of information to fishing St. Clair.  The waypoints on those are some pretty good starting points.  I concentrated a lot of my time on the South Shore.  The Mile Roads were good all summer long as it was spring all summer long out there.  South shore was good all year too from the Ontario Bass Opener on.  Had quite a few good days on Erie's north shore out to Colchester and beyond.  Didn't do to bad up the Detroit River either on the rough days.  I am a chicken when it comes to Lake Erie and rough water.  Inland I only did a few lakes and did pretty good.  Pontiac, Tipsico, Woodland, Halfmoon Chain, to name a few I did visit. 

So in 2010 I am going to dropshot when it gets tough.  I didn't dropshot at all in 2009.  As a matter of fact I didn't dropshot because I felt I didn't really need to.  I was catching good quality fish on so many other techniques.  But as I like to be versatile and have confidence in being versatile, I need to leave nothing out of my "repetoire" and that includes dropshotting.  I can't call myself a versatile bassfisherman if I don't have every technique I can possibly think of in my "repetoire".  So that is my thing for 2010.......dropshotting...........and not with the same stuff that most anglers are dropshotting with..........but with stuff I already have that I would not have dropshotted with before or ever.  At the end of 2010 I let you know how I did.

So chime in and Happy New Year to all!!!   ;)   May you all catch more and bigger fish in 2010!!!    8) 

Maybe we will see some of you at the show next week.

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

This first thing I'm going to try to do shortly after the New Year is try to catch my first peacock bass. I will definitely let everyone who's interested know how that went!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

2009, I started, at the ripe young age of 52, to become a bass fisherman. Bought my first bass boat, entered my first tournament,joined my first club, started to learn everything I could from people I met. Almost always taking my 8 yr old grandaughter with me, so she doesnt have to wait till shes 52. 2010, Going to enter every tournament I can, going to learn how to use a baitcaster. going to spend some money on equiptment (not from wallyworld), Going to learn how to airbrush lures, and going to continue to learn everything I can, from everyone who will teach me. All the time, taking my grandaughter wherever I can, so she learns along with me. Thank you to all of you who have taught me something this past year, and all of you who will teach me in 2010. Have a safe and happy new year.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

FishermanJohn

I started out the year as mainly a spinnerbait/crankbait/senko fisherman and tried to expand my arsenal this past season.

What I accomplished in 2009:
I learned how to use a baitcaster with confidence (The Shimano Citica was the best money I spent all season...soon upgraded to 2 Curado E7's   ;D )

I put down the Senko rod for 5 minutes and started fishing a jig.  I still want to expand on this in 2010. 

I learned more about my electronics and keyed more into finding structure rather than finding "fish" on my screen.  It really paid off.

What I want to do in 2010:
Work more on my jig fishing (including flipping/pitching heavier cover)
Get better at topwater fishing.
Catch a bass over 6# (I broke the 5# mark in 2009)
Enter my first tournament.