Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Can I give a deer away?

Started by Dan, November 07, 2009, 02:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

If I have a doe permit and shoot a doe, can I give it to someone I know that needs the meat more than I do? Do you have to write a note or does anyone know if there is a legal procedure you have to follow?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

You can give the meat away to anyone of a legal deer. If you give the whole deer away, keep any required tag with it to keep it a legal deer.

Technically, the person receiving the deer needs a license also to possess that deer, but if you take it to their home and give it to them, I would not expect anything to come of that unless some strange person called the MDNR and reported it for some reason.

That's the best I can determine at this time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

motocross269

Hunters give meat to homeless shelters all of the time..I don't think it would be an issue...
If you are giving the "whole" deer to a friend I would give him the tag just in case...
Call the DNR hotline if you are really concerned...
It is very nice of you to take care of your buddy like that...

mikesmiph

I have a family that I have "adopted". I help them out in any way I can. I give them meat every year. Never had a problem with it. Never gave them the whole deer though. Nice of you to want to help. Anyone else that feels the need to help needy people, I have a whole list. Thanks

djkimmel

The Michigan donation program for deer is designed to go through participating licensed processors who then donate the deer. It is a spelled out program - Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger program - with known participants, not designed to just donate your deer to any charity through any means. The web site for the program is at www.sportsmenagainsthunger.org.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Donating individually to someone is a separate issue, and a very nice gesture to help someone out who can use the help. Thanks.

MIBassKid

If anyone around the Lansing area is looking for venison this season let me know. I plan to take a few deer yet this year but have limited freezer space.
-Luke

Dan

Don't want to put a damper on donating to those in need, but if you have limited freezer space you may want to consider canning your venison. It has a shelf life of at least a year. It's easy to do and taste great. My kids use to open a jar after school and eat it out of the jar. All you need is some jars, rings, and lids and a pressure cooker. You do need the big pressure cooker, but you might be able to borrow someone's. All you do is cube the meat in about one to two inch squares drop it in the jar, no liquid, just a pinch of salt. That's it. Pressure cook for about 50 minutes or whatever it says to do meat in your pressure cooker directions. Works great, easy, no freezer burn, and you can use it in all kinds of recipes.

motocross269

I had a Cattle farm up the road from me where I grew up..(Eaton Rapids)..They used to can beef..It was awesome...Sounds kind of gross, but it was super tender and the gravy out of the can was delicious...

djkimmel

Hmmmm.... torn between being hungry and grossed out... we did can a lot of non-meat items when I was a kid though.