Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

MDNR Respect

Started by djkimmel, April 17, 2006, 11:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

My other topic (#2) I?ve been thinking about a lot lately is this ? we can have fun and joke about many things, but some topics don?t sit well for jokes. Something that concerns me a lot is the possibility of a perceived lack of respect for MDNR Conservation Officers. I do not want it to get out that this forum does not respect the MDNR and particularly the hard-working, and already too often slammed CO?s.

Pretty much my complete adult interactions with CO?s has involved fairness and respectful treatment from them, especially considering the difficulty of the work they have to do with so few CO?s to do it. I?ve talked about a few issues in the past, but those have been with one park ranger (no longer a park ranger) and a couple widespread sheriff deputies over a 26 year span since I went out into the world - pretty rare. CO?s in my experience are decent people trying to do the best they can.

Most other MDNR personnel I?ve had dealings with are also people like you and me trying to do the best they can. I do respect the MDNR. I wouldn?t keep going to meetings with them if I didn?t think so. I can have disagreements on specifics at times, maybe even strong disagreements, but how I feel about one particular person or another does not change my attitude about the entire MDNR, just that one person or the other. And usually, I can agree to disagree with just about anyone if they are fair and respectful with me also.

Because I?m not perfect and because of various circumstance, I may have on occasion appeared to have low respect for the MDNR, but I?ve tried to be clear when I?m disagreeing with a particular person or department what the issue is and not say that I don?t like or respect the entire department. It?s like saying you are all lawbreakers and/or all the same because of one thing, when I know people can?t be painted with that broad of a brush. The MDNR is no different.

I will try to be clear every time if I ever feel a need to disagree with someone or a policy that it does not mean I disrespect or will not work with the MDNR as a whole. We are partners in the outdoors, willingly or unwillingly ? makes no difference and changes nothing ? we have to work together. We need each other.

So please, when you talk about the MDNR here, particularly conservation officers, please consider the words you intend to post and remember to be respectful as you generally are. Again, thanks.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

My personal dealings with the CO's  have always been positive.  They have been friendly, and for the most part I've enjoyed meeting them. 
I have the greatest respect for all law enforcement officers.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

a DNR office has as much power as a State Police Offcer..   i give them much respect as possible.. i am checked on my lake ( Union ) a few times a year.  they are always freindly.   plus they don't like Jet Skiers.....

joshimoto son

Last Thursday at one of our club meetings, our tournament director coordinated with our local Conservation Officer Troy Balow (Bay-Low) to come in and speak to us about the new rule changes.

It was extremely educational. I didn't know that there was a difference between a DNR Officer and a Conservation Officer.

He informed us that right now, there are less than 200 C/O's covering the State of Michigan. A C/O goes throught the same academy as our State Police, with one exception. The C/O's go through a much more rigorous physical training program.

Officer Balow was very informative and everybody had a lot of questions for him.

One thing that became very apparent to me during that meeting, is that these Officers are human too.

Being a former firefighter and medical first resonder, I've got to know a few law enforment officials and found out that they have one of the greatest sense of humors that you will find.

Most people don't ever see that, that's because most people are involved with them when they're doing their job and not talking to them in a normal situation.

I say all this because I wrote a "tongue and cheek" response to an earlier post regarding our Law Enforcment Officials. All I kept thinking was that if one of them ever read it, that they would be rolling on the ground, because my post was too off the wall to be taken seriously.

They are all very willing to help and inform as many people as possible in an effort that we are not informed the "hard way".

Do yourself a favor, and take the time to talk to a C/O, you won't regret it.

joshimoto son ;D

blakstr1

We've talked with one of the CO's from Gladwin many times on Wixom, always been a good experience....he is a sportsmen just like us.  I've personally been cited for issues with ATV's & Jet Skis as a kid...all very well deserved and completely my fault.  I truly believe with CO's, as with any law enforcement officer, respect them and they will respect you...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

I've never had a problem with a CO.  They've always been nice and more importantly fair.  My problems in the past have been with the part time people working at the launches and local sherrifs who aren't as familiar with the laws as CO's. 
-Matt

djkimmel

Quote from: dartag on April 18, 2006, 09:15:01 AM
plus they don't like Jet Skiers.....

Hey - another reason to like COs!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.