Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Eagle Fishmark 480

Started by Fishmael, October 17, 2008, 08:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

I have a problem with my Fishmark 480 that is up front.  As I am going along, it will be showing the depth, then all the sudden, the depth will start going crazy.  It shows that it is getting deeper, usually to about 180-200 feet and then starts flashing for a bit before it gets a new reading and then will show the proper depth of 8 ft again.  The problem is that it doesn't just happen every once in a while.  It actually happens so much that I cannot rely on the graph to work when I need it to.  Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be causing this problem?  ???

Revtro

3 possibilities that I can think of.  You could be getting interference from your console unit if you have one.  I had a similar problem.  I changed one of the units to a different frequency and the problem went away.

I also had a problem with my trolling motor causing interference.  I went to digital Motorguide and that problem went away also.

The only other thing I can think of is to turn the sensitivity down. 

If none of those fixes it, you might need a new head unit.  They do go bad, but Lowrance is pretty good about helping you out with replacements.  (Lowrance and Eagle are the same company)

Pose this question to Slipkey in the electronics board.  He's really good at this stuff. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Slipkey

Fishmael,
Bigger than the depth reading itself, how clear is the image on your screen?   I had a bad transducer I fought for several years that, once switched out, gave me perfect readings and reception.

Also, is there a graph on the boat console and does the problem go away when the unit on the console is switched off?

Fishmael

You know, I've never had the front one on when the console graph wasn't on as well.  The image is pretty clear, but it never stays set long enough to really guage what I am looking at.  There is some clutter I guess though.  I wish I could take it out and try it to see, but I just had it winterized!!  >:(  Is there a way of checking now?  Or am I kinda out of luck until spring?  Should I try a new transducer?  I believe the graph is only 2-3 years old.  However, I bought the boat last spring and cannot say for sure. 

Slipkey

It's usually next to impossible to test it on a trailer, especially on a shallow bass boat hull - not to mention inteference from the trailer crossbars and frame.   

You could launch the boat and just use the trolling motor to test it out.   If you have two identical or similar models, it's common to get interference between the two.   You can sometimes adjust the ping speed in the unit sonar settings to solve this problem or simply stop the chart on the console unit when you go up to the bow. 

A new transducer is expensive so a new one should be a last resort.   Most transducers degrade over time starting with loss of signal at deeper depths.   There are many factors that can speed this up so it could very well be that you need a new one.   If you can find a friend that has the same transducer and is willing to let your un-rig/rerig theirs, you could "try before you buy."   

The model transducer the 480 takes, however, is the PD-WSU or PDT-WSU (the latter has the built-in temp sensor) and they are discontinued from most suppliers (including my own) so you might be able to pick one up on clearance or a closeout on eBay.