Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:06:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Iaconelli DQ'ed

Started by Bulletproof, February 24, 2006, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huston

You know guys, most all professional sports in the last twenty years have taken a turn for the worst. The culprit behind this is money. It was just a matter of time before the fishing circuit got in to it. These professionals get paid the kind of money it would take a lifetime to earn, working a regular job. Heck, in one season, you couldn't make what they make working 30 years. There are sacrifices they make, but you make them everyday also going to your job. Trying to become a professional fisherman to me is a pretty rough job. Add big money to that and what do you have. Havoc, chaos, wrong doing etc.... To me, if I can't have fun, I don't do it. When money gets involved in having fun, you are asking for problems. I fish when I can and I don't care what it cost, cause I love to fish.........period.

Revtro

I have to agree with dhuff.? None of us knows exactly how we'd react in this same situation, especially after practicing for this tourney for so long and the sponsor pressure to do well.? Do I like his antics sometimes?? Of course not.? However, would he have been DQ'd if didn't have a camera on his boat?? I doubt it.?

When a pro baseball player goes into the dugout and breaks his bat and uses 4 letter words, does he get thrown out of the game?? Usually not!? When a basketball player gets caught on camera on the bench cussing up a storm, does someone show the tape to a referee and have him tossed?? Never.? Even when the ref does catch them, they usually get a technical foul first, not just thrown out.? But because Ike is Ike, he gets treated differently.?

Unlike many who just think he's out for bad publicity, I can't help but think that if you're as passionate about your sport as he is, any one of us might act the same, especially with the high stakes.? That's no excuse for losing it.? But we're all different.? Some of us are more emotional and passionate than others.? Sure, he needs to learn a little control.? And no one wants to see the angry side of Ike with all the swearing and whatnot.? But was it fair that he was DQ'd?? Not in my opinion.? The sportsmanship rules should be enforced, but not just on Ike.? Besides I think the essence of the sportsmanship rules is to encourage integrity in the sport.? Integrity and emotional outbursts are NOT the same thing.? Integrity has to do with cheating.? Did Ike break any rules of his game that day and cheat?? Not according to B.A.S.S.? ?Did he break a state law?? That's questionable and he did call to ask what to do.? So should he have been DQ'd according to the tournament rules?? Nope.

I hate to see anyone cussing and getting that angry in front of a camera, but if you're not going to have the same standard for all the competitors, then it's not fair to pick on Ike.? So in that respect, I guess I do feel sorry for him.? That decision took from him the chance to try to do what KVD did by making the cut the next day.?

By the way, hat's off to KVD.? To come back like he did shows how much he believes in himself.? It was awesome to see.? Most other competitors would have mailed it in, but not KVD.  If the Greatest Angler Debate was held in '06, I think the outcome would be vastly different!  Way to go KVD!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

joshimoto son

Well... I really don't think that I could say anything in regards to the Ike delema, that any of you have already touched on...

What I do want to say is that given such a "spicy" topic, all of your posts have been... well...proffesional... courteous... and well behaved. You guys should be commended for yet again showing why this is one of the best sites out there.

Thanks again for leaving the "bull" in the pasture and coming out with intelligent debate.

Joshimoto son

smbassman

The boat was not his, the light pole was not his.? He destroyed someone else's property on camera, acted like a horse's behind, and let profanities fly like the wind.? He got the publicity he was after, so he can deal with the consequences.? He was never in the race anyways, just like in 2004.? He knows the fisherman weighing in dinks won't end up on camera so he goes about another way to get himself and his sponsors on camera.? Notice the Mountain Dew held right in front of the camera at weigh-in.? The only reason he was shown in the weigh-in was to introduce the maniac's property destruction video.

BOOOOOOOOO!!? ?I am starting to really hate the guy.? That's a shame because he is a very good fisherman.? ?I guess that as long as people are still drawn to watching crap like the WWE, there will be a fan base for Ike.? Maybe the next tournament, Ike will bash KVD over the head with folding chair while he is bringing in the winning bag or jump into Edwin Evers boat and clothesline him right into the water.? That would get some coverage!!!!   ;D ;D

djkimmel

There's people who would actually like that (Jerry... Jerry... Jerry... ;D)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Hooksetter

I have to disagree with dhuff. Right is right and wrong is never right. Period. I'm not saying I wouldn't be angry if I were in that situation but I was raised to respect other people's property, even more than my own. What he did was wrong and he deserved? to be disqualified.

Ike is a great fisherman and I respect his passion for what he does, I just don't like his theatrics. I think he does it all for the camera. Does he scream like that when he is pre-fishing? I doubt it.In that way he reminds of the other pro sports players who showboat because they scored. Isn't that what they get paid to do? Act like you've been there before.

I understand its all about getting paid. He gets paid to get his sponsers air time. So do all the other guys and most of them do it in a more professional way.

In the end , he will probably attract some people to the sport that wouldn't otherwise watch. Since the sport can't grow without attracting fans that don't fish, I suppose you have to take the bad with the good.

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

huston

Fellas, Fellas. We the American people will do anything to be entertained. There are A--holes in all walks of life. In professional sports these days, we pay to see them. That in so many words means you encourage this kind of behavior. Whether it's football baseball, hockey or whatever, rules and reg's govern these as do rules and reg's govern  your reuglar job. Act a A--hole on your job and see what happens. If you don't agree with something in life, you usually don't use it, buy it or talk about it. If you don't like a professionals antics, don't encourage it These people can't command these salaries, unless we the American people help pay it by endorsing, watching, reading and talking about  these antics and the products they endorse.......

Savage

Maybe Ike should get Dairy Queen as a sponsor so he can get a big 'ol "DQ" on his jersey and really make fun of B.A.S.S........
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

ronhuntfish

QuoteMaybe Ike should get Dairy Queen as a sponsor so he can get a big 'ol "DQ" on his jersey and really make fun of B.A.S.S........

Now there is a sponsor I can work with!!!
That is a great idea. By the look of my big gut, it's obvious that I frequent their establishments.

Blizzard with chocolate chip cookie doe. :P :P :P

djkimmel

Interesting 'article' 'to' Ike (Mike) from Mike Jones on Bassfan: http://www.bassfan.com/Opinion_article.asp?ID=57

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

Ahhh the saga of Ike.  Well I'll tell you being there and talking to the other anglers about it everyone is wondering and suspecting it was all an act staged by ESPN, now I was in the boats as a spectator throughout this past weekend at the Classic (awesome gig) and we as spectators send fish catch information to ESPN via BassTrak on Nextel phones (pretty nice system) they know whos on fish and who isn't. Ike had a rough practice and was having a rough first day..many think this was a back up plan to keep Mike in the spotlight and keep the publicity flowing.  GQ named him in the top most hated when he really hasn't done anything, so now he is trying too..did anybody notice the theatrical look on his face while he was breaking the lightpole...

i talked to him just before he weighed in Friday (he actually talked to my wife on my phone too..he was an awesome guy and really took time to see what i was doing and who i was...)  there is more going on here than we all think...i hope they get a handle on it before too many adverse affects.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

frogman

A conspiracy sponsored and directed by ESPN, and I suppose Oliver Stone was on the grassy knoll, capturing on film for his new movie.? Give me a break, you're on the scene reporting appears a bit flawed on this one.? His actions are consistant, from tourney to tourney and I believe he is simply an intense competitor with the language skills of a detroit rapper.? "Conspiracy" no.

blakstr1

All of the pro anglers are fierce competitors, not an excuse, and when you talk to Iaconelli, you see what he's like, not the crazy man you see on television but a tactical guru, with nothing but love for fishing.? I haven't been an Iaconelli fan but being closley involved with him and the Classic this year, my feelings have changed.? I respect your opinions Frogman but see it from my eyes before you reject my observation.? I understand the coverage on ESPN wasn't the greatest so I have probably seen things that many others haven't...but bottom line what did the whole scenario do?? Well all of these posts prove it...it created publicity for a usual fan favorite that was looking a subpar tournament straight in the face...mission accomplished!

UPDATE -  Just for the record I am not trying to make anybody come over to my way of thinking, I appreciate all of your comments and as suspicious as things seem I hope they are not true.  I should also say that just before Iaconelli weighed in he was surrounded by ESPN and BASS officials and the mood was light, they were laughing together and shaking hands...can't explain that one...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Roy Randolph

Not sure if any one has mention this yet but rumor has it he has lost Ranger/yamaha and triton's E.B. says he wont be in a triton
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

blakstr1

I had heard he was losing sponsorship of some sort, very interesting...you all notice Iaconelli had a Mountain Dew in his hands but Coca-Cola was a major sponsor of the Classic...on Sunday Aaron Martens had one of the new Vault drinks by Coke.? It truly is a money game.?

I was talking to Guido Hibdon Saturday night and he said Iaconelli did something during Satruday's tournament too, but it wasn't aired and I guess they hushed it up quite a bit.?

As long as we are throwing out rumors, I was talking with Chad Brauer and Mark Tucker on Friday night, according to Fish Fishburne, Citgo may be out as the Bassmaster sponsor.? They didn't even have a booth at the Classic Show, almost non-existant at the Classic.

For the record though, I don't typically like to post "rumors" but it all made for an interesting Classic and we probably won't know how everything is going to pan out until after it happens..typical...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

frogman

Hey, I love the interchange and opinions -- talkin fishin on a cold February day beats the heck out of work!

ronhuntfish

I don't know about a conspiracy, but it sound interesting.
It would be even more interesting if Triton picked him up.  Although, from his mumbling about the airator when his discovered his dead fish, it doesn't sound like he is fond of their livewell systems.

yukonjack2

check out the ad on the back cover of thebass-times for the elite series - it says:  Gentlemen, start your aerators!  kind of ironic in light of the Iconelli situation.  He'll get a ride for sure and always comes out on top - follow the money!

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

carolina chip

from the horses mouth:

http://www.mikeiaconelli.com/news.php?id=32

as well as from bassfan:

Recent Dock Talk
Archives 

Ike apologizes 2/28/2006
Ranger Boats announced today that it had dropped its sponsorship of Mike Iaconelli due his actions on day 1 of the Bassmaster Classic (see the statement from Ranger president Randy Hopper below). BASS later issued the following statement from Iaconelli:

"I want to publicly apologize to anyone I have offended by my recent actions during the 2006 Bassmaster Classic. As you know, I am a very passionate person. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and that is exactly what happened. After finding several of my fish dying, I handled this crisis in the wrong way. I wish I could take back my actions, but I am human and I made a mistake.

"I want to assure everyone that my frustrations and anger were in no way purposely directed toward damaging safety equipment or degrading the American flag. I love this country and I love everything that the flag stands for. I am very patriotic and totally support our troops. No group more than professional anglers should feel as fortunate to live in a country that provides opportunity for so many to chase their dream.

"By quoting the famous American President John F. Kennedy, 'When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters ? one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.' In the spirit of this statement, I ask for the forgiveness from my fans, peers, sponsors and all others who may have been offended by my actions.

"This has been an unfortunate incident and I regret what I did. When things like this happen, you have to learn from your mistakes, keep fishing and move forward. This is what I intend to do and hope you will move forward with me."

dcain

It is BS having fish from a Triton. However Ike is good fisherman but really plays it up to the camera. He is definetly selling himself.