email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Father/Kid fishing event  (Read 109 times)

Revtro

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime!
  • View Gallery
    • Refuge Community Church
Father/Kid fishing event
« on: July 05, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »

I have a group of dads on the West side who do not own boats that would like to do a take a kid fishing day on St. Clair.  They have heard tales of the smallies and have asked me if I know enough boaters and could put together an event.  They of course would all pay for gas and get whatever licenses we want them to get so we can fish where the fishins' good. 

My question is: How many boaters here at GLB would be open to doing a Saturday event in August with a picnic/BBQ afterwards provided by the Dads?  This is a good group of guys who would be very grateful for the opportunity, but can't necessarily afford the cost of a guided trip.  I told them I think I might know enough generous guys on GLB who might be up for it.  Maybe I can figure out a way to make it worth your while...maybe a winner take all tourney type of thing so that you get some excitement for yourselves?  Just thinking out loud.  Who is interested?  I won't put it together unless I have at least 5 boaters willing to volunteer.  I figure a lot of you will be coming to St. Clair anyway, so this way you get your gas paid for.  ;)
Tom  <><

Refuge Community Church
www.refugechurchwarren.com

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
Re: Father/Kid fishing event
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »

Great idea! It's very challenging getting boaters together on a Saturday in August though. I would say don't make it a 'tournament' so you don't have to put it on the MFTIS or follow-up with results afterwards. Maybe just have a few drawing prizes for everyone? If you could get some things donated that is?

It will probably take some direct communication to people you can think of to get this kind of thing rolling. When I did the couple legislative outings in the summer initially I really had to network hard including using some influential friends to get the bare minimum of boats. Plus, we did it on a weekday to reduce the odds of tournament conflicts.

It means a long wait but it might actually be easier to try to do this before season opens next spring? Less schedule conflicts.

I do appreciate what you are trying to do. We all need to take some of our time to get and keep kids into fishing. It's very important. For me, kids can include 'big kids' like dads. We have many lapsed anglers (the reactivation part of the big R3 initiative so many are working on).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

Revtro

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean.  Not a single boater has responded, so I'll have to scrap the idea for now.  I just don't know enough boaters to pull this off at the moment.  Maybe the spring when the bite is easier will be better anyway. 
Tom  <><

Refuge Community Church

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com

mikesmiph

• Mike Smith
  • GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

I'm all about helping kids, and most others. I'd be very willing to do this, but I'm working Saturdays right now and would need advance notice of a date so I can take it off. Keep me in mind for the spring.

bigjc

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean.  Not a single boater has responded, so I'll have to scrap the idea for now.  I just don't know enough boaters to pull this off at the moment.  Maybe the spring when the bite is easier will be better anyway. 

Hey Pal,
Sorry, but I have not had time to check this forum lately.  Been swamped at work and home!  I would definitely participate in such an event, if I could.

JC

Revtro

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »

Cool.  So far that makes 3 of us boaters.  So I will definitely keep this going and shoot for a spring event after the MadWags.  The weather around the MadWags seems to SUCK every year, so I'm thinking end of May would be better for newbs who aren't used to the big water.  Thanks guys.  I'll keep you all informed.
Tom  <><

Refuge Community Church

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Help Keep GLBass.com Growing
Visit the GLBass Stores

Buy GLBass.com Apparel

Buy Almost Anything from
the GLB Amazon.com Store

Online Shopping Links Available Here. Some Internet only specials!

GreatLakesBass.com Marine
Weather Portal Page

Check out Dan's Sponsors
Ranger Boats
Yamaha Outboards
Combat Fishing
Xtreme Bass Tackle
D & R Sports Center
Flint Sign & Design
Deka Battery

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | GreatLakesBass.com Apparel | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge