Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Stubborn Largemouth

Started by Bulletproof, February 21, 2006, 02:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulletproof

Looking for some insight here.....

There is a nearby lake I fish that has a certain pronounced point.

This point is mainly sand with a light scattering of weeds here and there.  It has a fairly good dropoff.

I have on numerous occassions witnessed monster largemouths(4-8#'s) holding on this point and drifting off and on it into the depths.  They obviously are holding on this point for some reason.

I have tried to catch these fish with every technique imaginable.  The only success ive had was a stealthy approach with a fat weightless tube.  This yeilded me a 5 pounder.  Thats the only fish ive taken from this spot.  Everytime I fish it I see swines.  I fish it far enough away that i know they cant see me but to no avail.  does anyone have any expereince with this situation and have you figured out something that i havent.? ??? >:(
I am haunted by waters.

fishon1219

I have had this same thing happen to me on a couple of occassions and I found that if I go up onto the point as close to shore as I can and use cranks that will just tick the bottom on the upslope and cast to the deeper water and bring it shallow it will trigger strikes. The fish are probably moving up on the point to feed. Also they are probably used to seeing bait moving from shallow to deep so by changing your presentation the opposite way it may just be the ticket.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

Almost sounds like the big sand point on Kent lake.  The one across from the East Boat Launch.

I used to beat the crap out of this point.  It just looks so promising.  Never had any luck there.  I did catch a 2 lb smallmouth off it once........................................Once.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

MadWags

Throw your bait up there and leave it. Deadsticking your bait could work in this situation. Only move your bit slightly every 5 minutes or so. this technique has worked for me in the past on big Florida bucketmouths acting the same way.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Hooksetter

Poorboy,

If thats the same point I'm thinking of it does look like it should hold fish. I dropped my camera down there last year where it drops into the old river channel and what I saw only reinforces that belief. However, I fish that point every time I'm on Kent Lake and I've only caught 1 fish, a dink smallie about 11".

As far as the stubborn largemouths, I've ran into that problem myself from time to time and I still haven't figured out how to get them to bite, at least not consistently. I did manage to catch a couple one time by burning a spinnerbait just under the surface, letting it die to the bottom and then ripping it off the bottom and burning it again.

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

McCarter

Ive seen walleye hanging out on the point with my Aqua Vu.  No, they werent hanging out with my Aqua Vu, i saw them while i was using my Aqua Vu.

Makes ya wonder why them basses dont like it very much.  Maybe too much traffic going across it.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Bronzeback5LBER

If it's the same point that I have fished on kent I caught a couple decent bass(between 2-3 lbs.) off it on a white tornado spinnerbait just casted past the point and reeled over it in about 3-ft. of water.That was the first time on kent and the first fish I caught.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

Savage

For something different, try a goby style bait like Poorboy's or the Case Madtom on a slipshot rig, cast it well past the point and glide it through the strike zone a few times.  That's deadly, and they don't see it swimming off bottom very often, if at all.

The regular Madtoms float a little better....
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Savage

The Salty Madtoms and the Poorboys Gobies sink a bit faster, so you would need to pull them along faster, less glide.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

MBell

Savage, are you on their pro staff or something?
-Matt

Bulletproof

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I like the idea of getting on the other side and taking a crank up instead of down, probably gonna be hard to do to get in there but worth the try nonetheless.  I also believe the deadsticking technique might be money as well.  I just need the patience to keep the bait there for 5 minutes.  probably end up throwing rocks or something to kill the time. ;)

those are some good looking gobies, i'll have to steal a few from you on an intrepid early spring adventure savage.

Oh by the way David Walker or Scroggins will win the classic.  is there betting on this in vegas with pound spreads?
I am haunted by waters.

Savage

Matt-

I'd like to be!  They don't offer a pro staff potition, at least that I know of.  They gave my club a bunch of soft plastics to give away at our Charity Open a few years back, and since then I have had a good relationship with the guy who distributes them in Michigan.  The baits are all great as far as I'm concerned, and cheap enough to keep me coming back.  I guess I do kinda mention them alot, but it's what I know about, you know?  I'd like to be able to say "yeah, I threw a Lake Police Soft Jerkbait, and then a Yamamoto senko", but those are PRICEY, so I use them less.

As far as the pics are concerned, it's the only ones I could find!  I love talking about baits, and seeing what everybody uses and why.  Finding new ones online (especially creatures) is one of my side hobbies.  It's fun as heck to whip out a bait nobody else is using and whoop butt with it.  Case has a color called RR 45 Blue that I was catching serious fish with last year at Elk Lake.  I ended up lending out some to my day one partner and Blake, so I ran out before the weekend was over.  I still took 2nd and 4th, and lost one fish on that tube that would have won it all for me.  By the way, you can't buy that color online!!!!   ;D  You have to be "connected" I guess.  I'm not even gonna show that color with a pic!

Guess I'm just addicted to baits in general! :)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

huston

The question still remains!!!! Is that Kent Lake or not. By the way fellas, that was some interesting dialog and this is why I visit this forum everday to learn. I live in Oakland County and I'm gonna try Kent a little more after work if we ever, ever, ever get to spring. )