Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Today will not go down as one of my better days...

Started by djkimmel, June 23, 2017, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Okay, this one was not my fault... but what a pain in the rear end!! Sorry the forum was down most of the day (and night too!!)!

Apparently an automatic update of the Linux ksplice process took a dump around 1am this morning (while I was asleep as I should be). If you don't know or care what that is that's okay. I didn't really care much about it either until this happened!! I was up later than I should have been working on updating new ad application codes to GreatLakesBass.com web pages still...

So I wasn't fully awake and alert yet when a client called me this morning before I'd even got on the computer to tell me that her email wasn't connecting. I check and I get no response from this whole server... not good. It was working fine when I shut my eyes last night!

After some quick, normal checks I got on the computer to my network people at the hosting company. The server needed to be rebooted after a 'kernel panic' shutdown (because of the bad ksplice update, remember? Sure you do! ;D )

For now, they shut off the ksplice process so it won't update anymore until they can find a fix to this new problem. It's way better to have ksplice working and on with a Linux server because it allows things like security updates to be applied to the Linux kernel without requiring a server reboot every time! We'll wait on that I guess hoping they find a solution soon that really works...

I thought we were back in business around 10:32am this morning! Things appeared to be working... until I tried this forum. As some of you probably saw, the forum suddenly developed an inability to connect to the MySQL database that runs this show!! The error usually means bad user name and/or password (or one other more technical problem with hashing passwords that I recently learned and fixed!!)... Because many of my other website pages use services from the forum software, they were down too like even the home page!! @$#%@#$!

Only I hadn't changed anything!?! So off I go on a hacker search. After some time of nothing much I found no evidence of changed forum files or intruded upon database. But I found I could not download the database, run a second successful database repair (the first one I ran as the root user actually said it worked?!?), or even make a copy of the database to another new database!! Very not good!!

I tried many things and the problem actually just seemed to get worse. I finally narrowed the issue down to something very wrong with an important table that handles user visit sessions. Without that table apparently nothing will work. I did not get a clear message what was wrong with it either - probably because I made it worse actually by trying so many different things to find a fix.

To make matters worse, since the server went down at 1am I did not get a system backup last night either so if I tried for my first time to restore a database from that huge backup process I would have lost at least a day of forum updates... aaargh! Fun for me, I tried to download the last daily backup - it was even bigger than I thought! Even compressed it was at 8GB when I finally canceled it since many programs can't even handle files that big!

I probably should have got  back online with my network people and hoped for a quick, clear solution but that's spilled milk now... I may have got hold of the right Linux administrator and had a 1 hour fix? Or it may have taken the 6 hours anyway that it took me to finally fix it myself... you never know when contacting support how it will go since you can't just get on the phone to the smartest administrator just like that (unfortunately)!

I finally gave up my continually failing efforts and did a graceful server reboot. It didn't go super graceful but it worked and came back up after a few minutes. Then, I got a clear message from MySQL that the sessions table was marked as crashed! Duh... I figured something like that but how do I fix it!?! Much to my shock, I ran a fix just on that table and this time it didn't time out - IT WORKED!!! I was able to download a backup of the database, optimize it and the forum started working again without any updates or changes to settings or files!!

No apparent loss of already posted data though we all lost the opportunity to visit for 6 or 7 hours today (and I'm waaaaayy behind on chores now!!!). I have no idea what happened to this table but I imagine it got corrupted during the crash or first reboot somehow. I don't know if I had just rebooted again if we would have been back in business right away hours ago?? The error messages were very misleading taking me down some worthless paths, that's for sure...

I have lots of databases but none (other than the adserver, which seems to be okay) are as active as this forum's database.

Sorry if I caused any frustration, issues, hair-pulling or disappointment with any of you while the forum (and half the website) was down! I don't have a great way other than social media that you aren't all on to provide notices. I'll have to think of something in case something like this happens again - say when I actually make the switch to the newer version of PHP in the next few days... still have that to look forward to!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled forum please, and thank you!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

If I can't fix it with CTRL ALT delete I'm screwed... ;D

djkimmel

That's pretty common... I wish that would ALWAYS fix things...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Yep   Turn the power off and then back on.  If that don't fix it.   It's broke.

djkimmel

Sometimes... someone has to go beyond turning the power off and back on... sometimes... that someone is me...

Oh well. Someone has to do it. Might as well be me...