Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fish Onboard

Started by skeeterman190, March 30, 2008, 06:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

Well just let me start by saying FINALLY its fishing season again, wel atleast for us Indiana boys. So i guess Ill just make the rest feel like your there.
  Saturday March 29th- Well headed out to Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver,IN. Wow friday night I felt like a kid waiting for santa to come I couldnt get to sleep. Just knowing id be plugging away in a few hours. Well start the day out with a bang 3rd cast on my Pointer78 yeild a 12incher, kept chuckin away down the bank.well not really chuckin Id guess youd call it finesse jerkbaiting. Kinda slow and thats all. Nothing else for about 3/4 of the way down the bank. Drop the jerkbait and pick up the jig rod first flip "thump" decent 1.5-2lb fish jumps on board im pumped at this point. Well we keep on fishing and within the course of about 4 hours of beating the water we had about 10 fish in the boat and about half were keeper fish. We then elected to go out and fish the main lake and see if we could come up with some smallies. First area we hit is a sandy,gravel and weed mix hook up and land about a 2lb smallie on an erie darter. fish the area for about an hour or so. only other action my partner lost about a 2.5lber at the boat oh well. Hit some similar areas and pluck a few more smallies and the some more largemouth to finish the day. Wow first outing and we got about 8-10 keepers and 10 shorts what a day. Which leads into the next disaster...
Sunday March 30th Same lake different day. Let me stress this DIFFERENT day. Yesterday nothing could go wrong today? Cloudy,windy, drizzle.blah. Had TCook with me today and I felt bad at the end of the day cause it was tough!!!! Run to the first area that I was getting them yesterday. Start fishing all the time think to myself "you know the weathers changed dont even pickup that jerkbait,grab the jig. well started jerkbaiting and nothing then nothing more. So i pickup my jig start fishing hit a little sweet spot that I know always hold fish pitch my jig and work it through the tree top "thump" ok so theres one maybe it wont be that bad today. HUH i was wrong 6hrs later the only think we got to show is frozen appendages a wind burn and oh yeah a 25lb carp. so we make one more pass though the area all the time im thinking and I think I spoke aloud on you'll get another one in that tree. Well we get to it first pitch thump. Rod buckles ok this is what im talkin about 3lb fish, dope spits it as im flippin it in the boat. next cast same spot "thump" reel flip this ones in the boat 2.5. Then well fished that area till it was dead and well after that last fish it was dead. Had fun TCOOK sorry no fish man we'll go back it'll be better.-skeeterman- 
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Waterfoul

So, you back seated TCook all day huh?  LOL!!! 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

1javelin

Dude, I'm so there no later than the weekend after next!!  Get ready, when I get my rods and reels in it'll be on!!!!

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

skeeterman190

Nahh i wouldnt backseat him it was just tough day.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

TCook

Skeet, its all good man I was glad just to finally get out on the water. With those conditions I wasnt expecting much but was glad to test out some new equipment and see a new lake. I give you props though for getting 3 good bites when 9 out of 10 guys would have skunked on a day like that. Looks like I will be joining you and Jav tomorrow on maxi with better weather so maybe we will get on em good then.

Later T
FISH HARD!!!

Eric

Uh Oh. 

T, If what I think was your last outing last fall, really was, and if this was your first outing this year...................Good luck this year Jav!
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

TCook

Eric I think your right Jav shouldnt count on me to put any fish in the boat, but I do make a hell of a net man!! So we got that going for us

Seriously though I have not figured out how to catch bass in water temps between the high 40's to high 30's and have yet been fishing with someone who could get a limit in those temps. I have only fished maybe a half a dozen times in cold water and could never do better than a couple keepers. Hopefully one of these days I can figure it out.
    Me and Jav went back to Maxi wednesday with skeeterman solo in his boat to see if we could find something worth justifying fishing the tournament there this saturday. Well to say the least me and Jav will not be going back saturday. We fished 11.5 hours with 4 small keepers, one dink, and lost a 3 pounder and broke another off. Skeeterman destroyed them and had a monster bag for that lake, he definatley showed us a thing or two. Hopefully he can repeat his weight and start the year off with a win.

T
FISH HARD!!!

skeeterman190

Well as Tcook said i had a good day on the lake despite the loss of several of them there smallies. Oh well i got on something with some largemouth so i hope I can repeat that performance this weekend. As for catchin fish in cold water. Well as you know me personally you know what I do. But theres some other things too especially out with the main lake fish. You will be surprised how shallow they'll go when the weather breaks like it has. I know you guys said you seen fish up short. The real key to finding the ones willing to bite is an inside turn leading up to a flat. If theres some weeds or any type or cover there boom jackpot. Yesterday with the smallies it was the silver buddy but somedays its something else. Its tough sometimes and well the only way to figure it out is just keep plugging away and do what you do best and the fish will show you the way-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

Oh i also have this to add I know im giving away all my secrets here but oh well we all still have to catch them. Look for the green grass!!!! inspect your lure everytime you bring it back in when your fishing weeds,this time of year. The old dead stuff is ok right now its not dying and eating all the oxygen from the area so ITS STILL COVER NOW. but the greener the better. also focus on anything that is a north shore. the sunlight hits it more through out the day then any other shore on the lake. i dont care if its a dock,wall or weed bed. if its in direct contact with the sun it makes a huge difference.-skeeterman-(oh yeah ps THROW A PHILBILLY JIG)  :Dhaha
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Duke

I was out there the same Saturday you were there. My partner & I had a dozen fish, easy limit, but not big by any means. Any of you fishing the MATS tourney?
Duke

skeeterman190

Yeah you were out there what kinda boat you got?? i got a skeeter silver white. yeah we caught about 20 on saturday nothing big 3lbs was the big. the big ones hadnt moved in real well yet. went back on wednesday and had a 15lb bag with a 5 and a 4 so its getting better.yeah im fishing the MATS tourney there. and also theres a tourney there tomorrow. 50 bucks a boat 90% payback should be quite a few boats there.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

heres a picture of me and tcook with my fish.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Duke

I have a black/red sparkle Triton. TR-19 w/ 150 V-Max

Were you out there Sunday? I saw a nice Skeeter and said to the guy: "Skeeterman 190?" And he replied, "No, this is a 200 horsepower." So I just left. How did you do at the tourney Saturday?
Duke

canvsbk

Duke, just in case you forgot - RUFUS is still my hero.  ;D ;D ;D
Look past what they want you to see.

skeeterman190

Hey duke check out the other post I put up on the Maxi tourney. Largemouth were bummers that day water temps changed too fast. There lost!!!! smallies were hot as the top 4 of us had smallies abandoned pattern on bucketheads and went to smallies good choice for the check. look me up at the MATS tourney.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com