Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Matteson Marine Fishing Extravanganza a HUGE Success - THANKS!!

Started by djkimmel, February 03, 2008, 09:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and visited Saturday at Matteson Marine - it was a HUGE success. Way better talking fishing than sitting at home. Sales staff tells me they sold 50 boats from a big selection of quality boats during this special one day sale!!!

The fishing seminars were very well attended by both bass and walleye anglers. The food was great - much of it homemade (and free... my favorite word possibly!!)! Plus, no blizzard. The roads were good. And I didn't get lost.

cfruel was the first one to come up to me and say the magic words, so he wins the Bleeding Shad KaRu VibraSpin courtesy of KaRu Lures. Congratulations.

We started out they day with an interesting seminar by local bass pro Randy Ramsey, who did an admirable job despite spending the prior evening on "half throttle" with Mark Zona ;D

Randy talked about being prepared and learning from his mistakes in a seminar entitled "Bass Fishing for Dummies" covering things we can all learn from such as carrying a spare prop/hub, spare bilge/livewell pumps, spare oil & fuses, avoiding dock talk (he mentioned a rather embarrassing example where he was supposedly tricked in our huge Lake Tank 'tournament' last year by moi... I don't recall), always having a plan B for those days when someone is on 'your' spot, and dealing with other mental challenges in creative way.

If you want to hear Randy, he has seminars coming up in Novi at Outdoorama Friday (Feb 29) at 8 PM and Saturday (Mar 1) at 2 PM; and seminars to be scheduled at the Grand Rapids fishing show in March.

Peter 'T' Thliveros talked about being a bass pro and how it has changed later in the day at this seminar.

He covered a number of areas of interest to anyone interested in being a bass pro or just getting better at tournament fishing including discussing his recent win on his 'home' water - the St. Johns River Florida.

Of course, the big crowd had a lot of questions about his favorite fishing method - the Caroline rig, and Peter T even got into his own special 'Petey' rig. Expect a future article on GLBass.com that covers some of the valuable tips and information on C-rigging and the Petey rig.

Peter T was kept busy answering questions during and after his seminar for a long time, just about up to Mark Martin's walleye seminar. I think it is always valuable to have contact with someone who has as much experience at successful tournament fishing as Peter T does.

For the walleye guys, Matteson had large turnouts for Mark Brumbaugh and Mark Martin. I also had a chance to meet walleye pro David Kolb, who recently finished in the top ten at the FLW walleye championship.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Ranger93

A great day and event.  I really enjoyed it.  Peter "T" is definitely one of the good guys in the sport.
Ranger "Still building legends"

joshimoto son

That ticks me off!!!
I completely forgot about it.
Instead I spent the weekend sitting on the ice contracting a serious case of "bucket butt".
I wished I would have went.

Pkleppert

Thanks for the update Dan.  Thanks to all who turned out and made the day.  I wish we sold 50 boats, I'd be on my way to Mexico if we did.  We did sell a few and thanks to the other vendors who attended, I'm sure folks got a chance to see some new stuff. 

Thanks to:
Dave Vandegrift-Mercury
Steve Weise-Evinrude
Ken Tucker-Yamaha
Byron Lippert-Minn Kota-Humminbird
Pat Clark-Bert's Custom Tackle
Dave Kolb-Lowrance

Matteson had over 25 boats inside and people had the chance to look them over and pick their favorite.  Everything looked great and as I said, a few people left with some great deals.  Events like that are so much fun and I think everyone had a great time. 

Pat K

djkimmel

I may have heard the numbers wrong from the sales persons... (it might have been the 2nd hotdog too???) :)

Regardless, from the possible plans for next year, I hold out for an even bigger show (or shows...) that will beat 'bucket butt' all to heck!!!

It was great to see all of the new technology there too. Dave Kolb is too modest. He did not mention his top 10 in the last FLW walleye championship! Great job!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

vmills

We would like to thank everyone who helped make this event a huge success.  There is so  many I wouldn't know where to start.  I'll single out Dan for his help in promoting it, and Pat Klepert for doing more than be mentioned here.  I would especially like to thank all those who attended, I hope everyone enjoyed it.  We hope to expand it even more next year, so if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Thanks Again and good fishing
The Matteson Marine staff and families
269-672-5292

Dan

I need to know who made the cinnamon rolls!! Is she single?? I guess that doesn't matter because I'm married but .... Great day! Great info and support. Recipe can be sent to my website at teardropbass.com

Thanks,
Dan
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Thanks Vaughn, and thanks to Win, Kevin and the rest of the Matteson Marine family (particularly whomever makes the cinnamon rolls ;D) for giving us something much better to do than sit at home and wait for spring!

Skulley

Great pictures.......wish I could have made it.  How come there were no pictures of DK eating hot dogs or cinnamon rolls???   It was your camera DK???

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Dan

I had my camera there and took some pictures, but when I got home I found someone had messed with my memory card. Looked like it was goobered up with cream cheese frosting. Kimmel said he needed to borrow it while I was in the last seminar. Plus when I was there DK said I couldn't take pictures of the cinnamon rolls because of some recipe copyright law. Seems he is starting a new cinnamon roll website called "Big Dan's Buns." (Picture those babies slathered in frosting and you won't be able to sleep for a week.) He kept saying what's in a name. I tried to convince him that maybe Uncle Otis' Chocolate Chip Cookies works, but a trademark name like "Big Dan's Buns" might need a little tweaking to "crack" the market.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skulley

Quote from: Dan on February 07, 2008, 10:22:26 AM
Plus when I was there DK said I couldn't take pictures of the cinnamon rolls because of some recipe copyright law. Seems he is starting a new cinnamon roll website called "Big Dan's Buns." (Picture those babies slathered in frosting and you won't be able to sleep for a week.) He kept saying what's in a name. I tried to convince him that maybe Uncle Otis' Chocolate Chip Cookies works, but a trademark name like "Big Dan's Buns" might need a little tweaking to "crack" the market.

Oh geez...........I just got a visual...........I feel sick........ :P  I'll never be the same again.  Call an ambulance......help..........

BD             ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I'll remember that when I'm building the first 'Team Big Dan's Buns'...

Durand Dan

It sure would be nice if there was a store closer to Mid-Michigan that put on the type of seminars and shows that Matteson and D&R have. That's quite a drive to the West side especially for one of D&R's weeknight shows.
Is there some that I may have overlooked?

djkimmel

What else do you have to do during the winter??? How many times can you sharpen the hooks...???

Might as well go on a road trip!! ;D

Actually, Wonderland Marine West will have their FREE weekend show, I imagine with seminars, the last weekend in March. That's a lot closer!!

lindysgal

Funny you should mention fishing seminars in Mid Michigan.  Lindy's recently took on Ranger and Stratos.  We are 10 miles East of Bay City in Quanicassee.  Hosting our Ultimate Fishing Show and Sale on Saturday, March 1st at the dealership, with free bass and walleye seminars by local pro staff.  Complete details on our website at www.lindyssales.com   Hope to see you there!