Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Storing hooks

Started by dhuff, February 11, 2006, 11:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhuff

How do most of you guys store your hooks in the boat.  Do you leave them in the packages or do you take them out of the packages and put them in a plano box?  Just wondering.

yukonjack2

Storage box - but I use Falcon - it has a curved bottom, and better latch design.
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Doug Grimm

Falcon box here also. It keeps them dry and lacthes on all sides so no accidental spillage. they also have the different sizes and weight printed in the plastic. They are great for keeping organized and staying track of what you maybe running low on. The are pricey however about $8-$11 box depending on which one you buy.

Doug Grimm
Midwest Sportsman
Director of Promotion &
Watts Bar Lake Director
Cell # (865)-680-6400
E-Mail: douggrimm@comcast.net
www.midwest-sportsman.com

dhuff

Yeah.  I have that Falcon Box now.  I hate it.  I don't like the little printed things on the bottom and how you can't move the dividers.  I have way to big of an assortment of hooks for that box.  Not to mention to many sizes and styles of sinkers for that box to carry both.  I have always divided them in a box but was just wondering how many guys use one of the hook wraps.  Or put them in the adjustable plano boxes like me.

fiker

I leave mine in the original packages.
There's a place in my tackle box where I store them on edge.  A lot like you'd store files in a file cabinet. 
Then, I just flip through them as I need them.

I have to be more mobile as I fish in my friend's boat about 1/2 the time.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Potter

I use a Plano box.  I can't remember the size (the same size that holds a jar of pork rind baits).  I place each size hook in a prescription bottle with labled top (hook size and item number).  I also add a silica gel packet to each bottle to help with moisture.  One box holds all of my hooks, weights, clackers, glass beads, and tube jigs.  This seems to work well for me as I can read the tops to see what I want before I open the box.

Potter

dhuff

Hey Potter,

Where do you get the silica packets at.  I want to get some of those to cut down on the moisture in my boxes.

Savage

Dang Potter, that's a good idea.  I am trying out something new this year, I'm keeping most of my hooks and jigheads at home in a main stash, and only taking on the water a certain number for the day.  This should cut down on rusty hooks and jigs.  Obviously I'll take more for tournament days, but just fun fishing I rarely use very many hooks.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

i've heard of guys using Tic Tac boxes, they will hold up to  5/0 hook, use a different one for each size you have...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cy

I keep mine a Plano box sorted by size.  I also keep 2 cotton balls in the box soaked in Inhibitor oil in the box to stop rust.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Bassman24

My partner Vic keeps his in there original package and puts them on a large binder ring, so I thought I would give it a try and it is pretty slick.  It is like a roll-a-dex for your hooks.  I can toss it in the tackle storage compartment or clip it on the net inside of the compartment.  They seal back and stay very dry. 

Now jig heads are a different story.  I keep them in a Plano box.  I used to open them constantly to let them air out after a wet tournament day. Then I tried this new trick last year.  Because Plano's can warp a little, some of the tops leave a small gap in the middle where the jigs will slide in between the top and the base. so I started putting a large freezer bag under the lid.  I found out that this did two things for me, it filled that gap and kept the jigs from sliding in between the lid and base, but also on days when it was drizzling or raining, I could open the lid and just slide the freezer bag to the needed jig style and it would keep the rest dry.

It worked for me.  My wife says I wouldn't have this problem if I did not need every style in the catalog.   :)

GT
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

smbassman

I use plano boxes for pretty much everything.  But I always buy the waterproof style with the rubber seal ring.  Never any porblem with rusty hooks and the additional side latches hold better than the standard model.

MBell

I keep mine in the original packages in a plano box, you Case just fit more that way.  I also keep my jigs in a plano box, the new plano boxes are better for this, thicker plastic so the lid doesn't have that gap.   Pretty much any hook you take out of the package will rust, even the nickel plated ones, so I try and keep them in the package.  I'm trying something new this year, in my jig box I've put zinc washers, I'm hoping they will serve as a sacrificial anode and prevent rust, we'll see.
-Matt

Potter

dhuff

I can set you (or anyone else) up with the silica gel packets.  Just send me an e-mail.

Potter

Revtro

Plano box.  But I like that pill bottle idea.  I'm gonna go get some.  Great idea!!!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]