Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

One last time for Lower Crooked Lake 05-30-2016

Started by djkimmel, July 14, 2016, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I returned to Lower Crooked Lake for one final spring visit on May 30th (2016). I started out finding more of those tiny pike that are all over the darn lake this spring.

This tiny pike hammered my lucky bream-colored Kustom Kicker Jigs Deposit Spin Titanium Revolution spinnerbait - one of their favorite lures. The pike are really after me this year!

Fishing was tougher as the lake was chock full of lily pads just about everywhere except the deepest water. Lots of algae too so I switched to an old PT spoon (a weedless spoon with a spinnerbait skirt) and was sashaying it through some isolated pad clumps in the narrows when this small keeper hammered it!

Being a slow day (hot too) and since I just like to catch fish period I took a break now and then to pick off some big bluegills like this one still on beds using a Carlisle slip bobber to adjust the depth so my Power maggot bait would hang just above their heads.

Plus I found some big Pumpkinseeds that were coming on beds later than the bluegills by a week or so. These aggressive little biters are fun to catch!

I switched to a lure that works great in the spring on most lakes - the Strike King KVD 1.5 in a green shad color and was burning it through lily pads and over green milfoil weed beds when this whopper hit! Oh well, the little guy like it anyway...

Persistence finally pays off with a largemouth bass over 4 pounds caught while pitching a Nemesis Baits Bullet Craw Texas-rigged into clumps of lily pads near a point covered with panfish beds. This bass fought hard ripping through the pads. Very fun!

I finished the day fishing more pumpkinseeds on beds because they were available and would bite the Carlisle slip bobber rig well. I found some more bass but they were post-spawn and very finicky. They would come right by the boat like they were checking me out but not bite anything I tried to throw at them. They were on a sandy point with milfoil and more bluegills on beds. They would swim from deeper water up onto the shallow point cruising around the beds and then vanish back into the open water.

I would have rather caught them but finding them is part of the puzzle to catching them. Next time I will figure out how to catch them. If you have any good finicky weedy lake post-spawn bass catching tips why don't you share them on this report? Thanks! I can always use more tips too!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.