Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Day of the Dink

Started by djkimmel, June 01, 2016, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

On May 24 Derek and I returned to give Lower Pettibone Lake one more crack. I won't say who voted against the return but it was no unanimous. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. We back we went. A little late start too but I doubt it would have mattered much.

I started the day where I would finish, minus one outlier, with a dink! I caught this bass on a jerkbait, the small Husky Jerk I believe, after seeing a few nicer bass cruising the steep dropoff that makes up most of Lower Pettibone Lake. This was pretty much my big bass of the day though I caught a fair number of them.

To make a boring story shorter, I will skip to the 'highlights' immediately after saying Derek caught a few keepers deep mostly on Bullet Craws on a jighead. I guess I didn't have enough patience, plus I kept trying the edge because tons of bass were feeding on it and we saw a few good ones cruising 2 or 3 times. But my day was spent catching other fish and dinks. Derek did a little better though these two were dinks it was his first double of his life he believes, on a Pop'R. Probably the highlight of this day...

Later in the day, since I wasn't catching much of size I decided I would through a popper too since I hadn't thrown one much yet this year and we were seeing some topwater action. I figured if I wasn't going to catch much at least I wouldn't catch much on topwater. I got this rock bass to eat the popper! Oh boy...

I should have known if I throw a popper over the top of spawning bluegills they're apt to pop it, and one medium bull bluegill go it! Oh well, it was a fish... right?

And... drum roll please... my 1st popper bass of 2016! A whopper! I ended up catching 3 dinks on the popper (a Sugoi Splash that I only have 1 or 2 left of).

It's always fun to catch topwater bass and one of the dinks did its best to smash the popper. Late in the fishing day as we were just getting ready to head to the dock, after seeing no bass beds except one shallow swamp bass all day I was casting the popper over the edge of one of the many sunken islands when I finally got smashed by a keeper! Yes!

Except I lost it on the first jump... @#$@#$@! Just the way it should end on a day like this. I saw a few more keepers in a small school but it was time to go and that was that. We are probably going to unanimously vote to not go back again... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.