Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Muscamoot and Little Muscamoot Bay smallmouth bass 5-9

Started by djkimmel, June 01, 2016, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

After having a tough MadWags Memorial fishing day I was fortunate to head back to Lake St. Clair for a rematch on Monday, May 9th with my friend Derek and my Godson Aaron - Derek's oldest child. We decided to run right to Muscamoot Bay off the bat, and glad we did overall.

We found bass on beds in reeds pretty quick. They had probably been fished by a bunch of people considering how they were acting but we were able to catch a few of them anyway using various methods and some persistence.

My first smallmouth I caught off a bed came on a Texas-rigged Case Plastics Cash Craw in green-pumpkin red. It was a decent sized bass!

Derek helps Aaron land a really nice smallmouth bass off another bed from Muscamoot Bay.

Aaron shows of a nice smallmouth bass he caught off a bed nearby my fish!

Derek lands a Lake St. Clair smallmouth bass a few minutes later off another bed.

A short time later I caught another nicer one from another bed nearby on an Avocado stingray grub on ultralight!

After fishing the obvious beds for awhile we decided to move back into Little Muscamoot Bay to see what we could see. There were boats fishing mostly in the section closest to the South Channel, we figured probably on more beds. We went on our own to the very center of Little Muscamoot Bay approximately about the same depth everyone else was fishing.

There was a bolus of muddy water blowing across the flat back there so I steered to boat around that and started throwing a 3/8 ounce chartreuse and white willow leaf spinnerbait and right away smaller smallies started slamming the spinnerbait hard! Derek and Aaron put on spinnerbaits and we all caught a few pretty easy doing this just drifting across the flat towards the back shoreline. At one point I caught 4 or 5 in about as many casts. It was fun but we were catching any big ones.

Aaron started dragging a tube behind the boat and caught a nicer bass. So I started to cast a sand colored tube ahead of the drift and do short snaps along the bottom like a goby or minnow hopping along the bottom. It worked!

I took a quick picture of my biggest smallie of the day caught snap-jigging a sand colored Xtreme Bass Tackle tube (out of production) along the bottom of Little Muscamoot Bay!

We caught a few nice ones on tubes swimming and snapping them along the bottom of Little Muscamoot before calling it a day to check a few more spots on the way in to the ramp. It was still a little early so we didn't find much in the way of other bass. Overall it was a good day landing maybe 30 bass. Better than I did on Saturday, and it was nice to see Derek and Aaron catch a few having fun on the big lake!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.