Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

FLW Coverage Fiasco

Started by Revtro, September 25, 2007, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Hmm.  So I'm watching the FLW coverage of the championship this past Saturday which was great by the way, but they only showed the first half of the tournament and then said "We'll see ya next week for the conclusion".  Ok, so I can't wait to see next week's coverage.  But wait, there's something in my mailbox today.  It's the FLW Outdoors Magazine featuring "The Million Dollar Man" on the cover. 

FLW coverage on Fox is awesome, but what the heck were they thinking?  I'm one of those who doesn't check online to see results because I want to enjoy the TV coverage.  Then they totally wreck it for me by sending me that issue.  Here's my question for them:  Being involved in Video Editing myself, I know it doesn't take a month to get a program together.  Just see the NFL's live coverage for an example of how easy it really is.  So why make us wait for the coverage on TV, then get the timing all screwed up by putting this issue out before you even air it?  It just doesn't make sense. 

IMO they need to start getting the programs to air MUCH more quickly so that this doesn't happen.  They're too sharp of an organization for this kind of fiasco.  I don't know, maybe it's Fox Sports that's the hold up, but whatever it is, this really wrecked the anticipation of next week's show for me.  Now I don't even care if I watch it since I know who won. 

Just venting.  I still love FLW's coverage.  I think it's the best and I really like the way they feature anglers and such.  I just wish they'd get the scheduling thing together.  I'd also like to see them air the show more than once so that if we miss it, we can catch it another time.  Just some thoughts for FLW to think about. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

I know what you mean. I had t wait a month to see Clappers win. Bassmasters tournaments are shown the week following the tournament, then replayed at least once. I also like the FLW coverage much better, but they need to work on the T.V. scheduling.

dartag

they have done that with all FLW productions.   they only show the last 2 days when everyone is in the proper boat and clothing..  never see a Nitro or Triton on FLW.  there show guess they can do what they want to.

i like Bassmasters where you have a Ranger Yamaha guy in fishing in a Triton Mercury boat. 

I like to watch the tapes in the winter when guys are ice fishing. 

MBell

I hope they replay them over the winter, I missed the erie show.  How was it, alot of weigh-in or did they actually show some fishing?  I hardly follow the pro tours anymore, it just not organized well.   
-Matt     

dashaver63

I hope they do too. They did show alot of fishing, it was incredible to see what those guy's were trying to fish in. Waves coming over the side of the boat, one pro almost went in when the water dissapeared out from under the front of his boat and it came crashing down. I missed the second part though so I want to see it to see Steve get that check.

Revtro

The coverage was ok.  They could have shown more fishing, and definitely more of Clapper.  I didn't think they focused enough on him because he doesn't yet have the star status of some of the other guys.  So that was a little unfair.  But all in all, it was decent coverage.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

I noticed that during the first part of the show that I saw. I think they showed more of him fishing during the live weigh-in on line.

cameraguy

" Being involved in Video Editing myself, I know it doesn't take a month to get a program together.  Just see the NFL's live coverage for an example of how easy it really is."

NFL...Easy?  It's not easy.  It takes hundreds of people to put it all together with a sizable budget.  I guess it would be interesting though to see guys run cable 40+ miles out into a lake or river to be able to live-switch a fishing tournament.   :P

It's not that easy to go through hundreds of tapes to pick the small moments that tell a compelling story.  Maybe they could produce these shows faster and there are other reasons they wait a month.  It almost always comes down to money.  Knowing the logistics involved, it doesn't bother me.  It's been that way for a long time.  I still enjoy watching the footage (even though I'm not thrilled with the commentary of FLW).  

Revtro: "...I just wish they'd get the scheduling thing together.  I'd also like to see them air the show more than once so that if we miss it, we can catch it another time... "

I'm quite sure that FLW Outdoors is buying time ($$$$$$!!) from FSN to air the show.  Might not be cost effective to run it more than once.  

As far as missing it, I have one word...TIVO!    

motocross269

The reason they split up the programming is because it gives their sponsors twice as much exposure.  I really don't think it has anything to do with putting the film together.  I am sure that the show is all linked together within days of the event. 
FLW pushes their sponsors hard, but that is why they have million dollar payouts.  I will give FLW credit...They have an american car company and castrol oil as a major sponsor...Unlike BASS that has Toyota and Citgo (links to terrorist organazations thru venezuala)as major sponsors...

djkimmel

Is TIVO a word?

Is he the Serbian Elvis?!?

;D  ::) :-*

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

Whatever the reason for the delays to air, a simple solution would simply have been to put "The Million Dollar Man" issue out next month instead.  That's the point I was trying to make.  If they're gonna be slow to get shows to air, then they should get their scheduling act together and coordinate things better with the release of the magazine.  By the way, I wasn't slamming FLW.  I really like their coverage as previously indicated. 

PS, not everyone has or can afford TIVO... whoever he is..  :P
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

Has anyone been watching the Bassmaster archives show??? I really like the way those are done......It is probably just nostalgia for me.
They make me feel old because I remember some of those events.
I have TIVOs cousin the Dish DVR.....We got it when I deployed so my wife could tape shows for me....We were going to have it shut off when I got home, but I fell in love with it and haven't had the heart to shut it off.  It streamlines my TV watching.  NO COMMERCIALS..

BryanP

Guys--You can buy copies of the FLW shows on DVD from FLW Outdoors.

And no offense Revtro, but you're probably one of the few (if not the only one) that waits till the show airs to see who won!   It was almost 2 months ago, and all over the web.

As for Clapper/Detroit River event, I think a lot of the lack of fishing footage can be attributed to the extreme rough conditions and the long distances the guys traveled to fish.  That can make it hard to get quality footage, even though there may be a camera guy on board with each angler.  On a "normal" lake, all of the competitors are in somewhat the same body of water, whereas here they were many miles away from each other.

Revtro

No offense taken.  I just like waiting and seeing it.  I'm the same way with the World Series of Poker, so don't anyone tell me who won the main event!   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

cameraguy

Moto: "... I really don't think it has anything to do with putting the film together.  I am sure that the show is all linked together within days of the event. "

They don't use film.  Plus, it probably takes a couple of days just to dump the footage into an NLE, another few days to log the footage, and another couple to compile a rough edit.  Maybe they just think they can do a better job if they take their time to put the show together. 

As far as their sponsors, I'm sure that they are signed to a season long contract (or more).  Splitting up the shows might only provide FLW with more bass tournament (most popular) coverage and they don't fish as many top level tourneys as BASS.

TIVO rules!  Will never be without it.  I'm addicted.     

cameraguy

Oh, I just saw that our taxes are now higher.  I'll have to say bye to my TIVO.  :'(

Just kidding.  But I don't like the idea of paying more taxes.   >:(

Team houston

Does this mean that Tivo has left the building?

Dan

Ok you got me wondering. Do you get TIVO through your cable provider or do you go out and buy a machine like a DVD player?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

cameraguy

You get a TIVO digital video recorder (DVR) at most electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.).  Then you subscribe to the TIVO service, which keeps your programming menu up-to-date, and more. 

You record programming in a number of different ways.  You can go through the program listings and press record on the remote, you can spell out the name of the program to find it (as you key in the letters or numbers it shows a list-usually you don't have to spell the whole title) and then select record.  You can also get a "Season Pass" to record all shows in the series, i.e. FLW Outdoors.

A few of other cool things...

While you are watching a show, either live or recorded, you can pause the show so you can go to the fridge, go to the bathroom, run outside and start the grill, etc.  Then come back and press play.  You don't miss a thing.

Or...while watching a live show (or recorded) you can rewind it to catch that highlight that you might have just missed cuz your dog was chewing your shoe. 

You can network your TIVO to your computer, transfer your favorite show, and burn a dvd (with the right software-which also contains a simple editing & labeling program).  You can record shows, edit out the stuff you don't want, and burn a dvd.  My daughter enjoys her Little Einsteins and Dora shows without all the promos, etc.

Does that summarize it enough?

If not, you can go to tivo.com for more info.