Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

TBF Regional

Started by Team houston, September 18, 2007, 03:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team houston

Here is a quick recap of the Regional held at Sandusky last week. I arrived on Sat at noon had lunch and went to check out the ramp. On the way back to the hotel a viscious thunderstorm rolled thru and downed trees and power lines. The hotel was without power when I got back. It was back on a couple hrs later.  Sunday I practice with a guy from Illinois. Tried for some smallies first by Ruggles. No luck there so we went LM fishing. Did pretty good in East harbor, would have had about 13lbs. My roomate Ronnie Shephard showed up late Sunday so I was able to fish with him the next two days. We tried for smallies the first day and LM the next because it was supposed to be rough out. We had little success with each, only a couple short LM. Monay night was a nice banquet to go over the rules and other info. The meal was very good. the captains introduced all the team members. We also got a lot of free stuff, hats, shirts, line etc  including nice Ranger team shirts that had our name and 2007 Michigan team on them. Tues night was the pairing and I drew Steve Quinn from the In-Fisherman tv show who was on the Minnesota team. They confined us to the bay because of the forecast for gale force winds the next day. Everybody knew it would be tough. 3 guys weighed limits out of 72. I believe 23 guys blanked. I was lucky to catch one LM that went 2.5oz. I was happy to have it, it kept me in contention and helped the team, even though we were in 5th after the first day. I caught my one on a sweet beaver on some marina riprap.  I will finish tommorrow

Team houston

2nd day I am paired with Bob Kuhn from Minnesota. We have no idea where we are going to fish. We head toward ruggles but end up down by Vermillion. We see it says dumping grounds on his map and head that way where a couple other boats are and a ton of perch fisherman. We idle around and mark a couple rises with fish showing on them. We start fishing  and I am stunned to get a bite after about 10 min. Thinking it must be a Sheephead I am shocked when a 4lb plus smallie comes to the net. This is one of those special days and at 10 o'clock I put #5 in the boat. They are all clones and I know I have 20lbs in the box. Knowing I cant do much better I back off hoping my partner can get his limit. He ends the day with 2 and even fishing sporadically I cull twice. I weigh in 21lbs 4 oz. I am shocked to have the biggest bag of the day and even more shocked to be leading the whole thing. Day three I am paired with Loren Peters of Illinois. He is not on much but him and his partner each weighed in a nice smallie today. I did not want to go back to vermillion because it was going to be rough water again in the forecast and I felt I accidently fished on some of my teamates water. Even though they encouraged me to go backto it, it just isn't me. So we decided to hit the area where he caught the smallies and then grind it out for LM. I knew it would be a tough day. We only caught sheephead ,catfish and silverbass on the SM spot so we started grinding. Loren managed one nice Lm that went 4lbs plus and I only caught 6 or 8 shorts. I had my chance and it did'nt happen. I missed being one of the Mich reps at the Nationals by 15 oz. Congrats to Wayne Macklin and Thom Kiefer for making it. Wayne was fishing the area in Vermillion that I did not want to intrude on. All in all it was a great time and I look foreward to trying to make the team again next year. Thanks to Dennis Beltz for all his hard work

djkimmel

Nice report Phil. I was excited to see you were leading the 2nd day. Thought you might change the title from Phil Borsa, All-American to Phil Borsa, National Champion. Sounds like you did the right things to make the best of tough conditions. I did not miss being out there while the winds were howling.

The good news is next year's divisional is somewhere in Michigan!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.