Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Beginner Fishing on Lake Erie

Started by BassinGT, July 15, 2007, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinGT

Hi Everyone,

Having never fished Lake Erie and after watching and hearing about the FLW tourney over the past weekend I've set a goal for myself to get out there and give it a try. I must admit though that I have never fished such a large body of water and am extremely intimidated by it for all the right reasons.

So I'm wondering if some of you seasoned veterans out there could help me out here. I'd like to go sometime in the next month or so (since I'm getting a 6 week sabbatical/vacation) and will have plenty of time go out there. However I don't even know where to start. I've fished the Detroit River a couple times but never ventured out to the bigger water. I'm looking for any tips for a first timer. Here are a few questions that would be very helpful to me. If you have any other pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

1. What is the best launch? Elizabeth Park? Lake Erie Metropark? Other?

2. What are some good signs that I should get off the water or better yet not even go out on a particular day? Should I check weather forecasts and not go if the wind will be greater than some certain miles per hour?

3. Where should I go? I know this is a loaded question. I'm not looking for GPS locations or anything but just a ballpark of a location or what to look for as I'm cruising around. I just want to find some fish.

4. Boat control in rough water... What is the best way to position the boat in waves and still feel somewhat in control of what's going on.

Thanks!!!

Gary T.

Slipkey

Gary,

I don't know if I'd say I'm a seasoned veteran, though there are many on this board who are deserving of that title.  I've only been fishing Erie since I moved to Michigan 5 years ago, but I've fished smallies on the Great Lakes for about 10 now.

Here's my take on your questions:

Quote from: BassinGT on July 15, 2007, 03:54:54 PM
1. What is the best launch? Elizabeth Park? Lake Erie Metropark? Other?
I prefer Elizabeth Park on most days, myself.  Mostly because when winds are rockin' and rollin' from the southeast or east, you can bottom out coming off plane into Metropark.   There's usually fewer floating weeds around the ramps as well to get between your boat and trailer bunks.  :-[   With a strong South wind, though Trenton channel can get nasty.  Metropark does offer a seasonal pass, which can save you some money.

2. What are some good signs that I should get off the water or better yet not even go out on a particular day? Should I check weather forecasts and not go if the wind will be greater than some certain miles per hour?
In short, when you start to feel uncomfortable.  Trust your instincts.  The more time you spend fishing on the Great Lakes, the higher your comfort level for dealing with rough conditions becomes over time.  I always check the Open Waters Forecast from NOAA and the hour-by-hour forecast (I use the Monroe forecast since it shares latitude with the much of the northern West Basin) before I head out in the morning.  I also have a VHF radio on my boat which I can tune to the weather band.  Wind direction is more important, in most cases, than wind speed.

3. Where should I go? I know this is a loaded question. I'm not looking for GPS locations or anything but just a ballpark of a location or what to look for as I'm cruising around. I just want to find some fish.
Most of the reefs and islands in the Western Basin hold populations of fish,  Areas of the North Shore can be very productive and winds from the south in the summer will get things going.  Colchester Reef is always worth a look and is a reasonable run.  Pelee is legendary but is a very long run and can be pretty hairy until you are more comfortable in big waves.  If you want to fish it, you might check the forecast and look at trailering around to Port Clinton or Sandusky Bay if the winds are favorable.

4. Boat control in rough water... What is the best way to position the boat in waves and still feel somewhat in control of what's going on.
Not sure whether you mean while fishing or while running so I'll assume you mean running.  It depends somewhat on your boat and you'll develop a comfort level over time. My preference, if the wind allows it, is always to quarter the waves out to a line that allows me to run the troughs to my destination. You'll get more wet quartering the waves at times, but there's also less chance of you spearing one.

It's generally best to try to stay on plane if at all possible.  Once you drop off plane you lose most of your control in being able to negotiate what's coming at you.  You also lose about 1/3 of the hull surface under the water which means less lift for oncoming waves and less abiltity to move the bow vertically using the throttle. 

There are benefits to running a bass boat in big waves and one of them is that the fairly shallow keel allows the waves to slip underneath the boat without pushing your bow around too much.  I've run a multispecies boat for the last 3 years and the deeper keel can actually be a hindrance at times.  The bass boats I've owned before were much better for "surfing." :)

Hope that helps and, most of all, catch a big one.
Jon

MBell

The best way to do it is to launch on the north shore of erie in canada.  I've only done it a few times but it was worth it. 
-Matt

Skip Johnson

leamington ontario has an excellent ramp easy to find and its $6 or $7 to launch, I havent had a hard time to go through customs yet I just make sure I hand them my birth certificate drivers license and boat and truck registration and insurance.
I would suggest that you take all your extra tackle out of the boat and tow vehicle I heard that one of the pro's got a lengthy check becouse all of the extra gear.
its an easy quick run back to leamington if the weather gets bad.
Go Big or Go Home!