Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

SAVE PHACE PROTECTIVE MASK...WHO HAS ONE?

Started by squid, June 21, 2007, 11:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squid

I was wondering how many of you on here have a Save Phace Sport Utility Mask(SUM) to protect your face from the elements?

1. Do you wear it for every event?  If not why?

2. Tell me what you like and/or dis-like about the mask?

3. What you do feel would be a reasonable price to pay for the plain colored masks?   How much for the designed masks?

4. Why did you buy one?  Be specific.

5. What would you like to see added to the product?

6. What would you like to see discontinued with the product?

7.  Yes or No:  Would you like to see some new designs on the masks?  If yes, give some examples.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appretiated.
Thanks,
Squid

joshimoto son

No, I don't. It messes up my hair ;D
I do still use it quite a bit.

I like the mask as a co-angler because it is easier to stow due to it's size.
It does what it's susposed to, protect you from wind, rain etc.
I like the looks of my "Black Mamba"

My dislikes:
I still preferre a helmet although they're more expensive.
There is an air leak between the lense and the mask (yes it's installed right)
and if it's raining I get a little water inside that bubbles up due to the wind and water passing through.
More specific to just me, I have a hard time getting anything to fit my face right.

3. What you do feel would be a reasonable price to pay for the plain colored masks?   How much for the designed masks?
I can't remember what current pricing is.

$49.95 for a standard mask I think would sell a ton of them.
$80-$90 for one with a really cool design.
up to a $120 for a custom one of a kind

McCarter recomemded one to me, so I bought it.

That it come standard with a protective carry bag.
Before I ever got to use it. I asked my boater if he had room for me to put it somewhere. He was happy to oblige as he grabbed it and smashed it in a compartment and threw the lid down scrathing my lense right in my field of vision.
That just sucked. It's not the maufactures fault that I handed it to an idiot, but I think you know what I mean.

None that I can think of.
7.  Yes or No:  Would you like to see some new designs on the masks?  If yes, give some examples.
Yes,
But all would require permission from people who have copyrights on them.

Over all, these are a really good product, and just like anything, there's alway room for improvement. The question that must be asked then is... How much are you really willing to pay for it?

There's a balance between functionallity and price point.

joshimoto son ;D

McCarter

No, i do not use it unless the weather calls for it or if i am fishng as a non boater in a boat with no 2nd console.

2. Tell me what you like and/or dis-like about the mask?It really does keep the wind, rain, bugs, spray, etc from beating up my handsome mug.  I also think the lenses need to be fitted tighter or sealed properly, which i am sure i could do myself with some plumbers putty, a gum wrapper, and 3 welding rods.

3. What you do feel would be a reasonable price to pay for the plain colored masks?   How much for the designed masks? I think the price is the biggest issue when people see them.  It is a great product, but to someone who doesnt feel they absolutly need it, $60 buys a lot of new lures.  We all need new lures.  I think selling the plain jane masks for $30 - $40 would increase sales a ton.  Save the $60 price tag for the fancy ones with the cool graphics.

4. Why did you buy one?   Be specific. I thought it was a very innovative product for our sport and knew it would come in handy.  Plus, i have very sensitive skin.  Windburn tears me up everytime i go out.  I knew this would help.

5. What would you like to see added to the product?  the only thing i can think of would be a good polarized lense.  The lenses now are great but they dont seem to block much glare.

6. What would you like to see discontinued with the product? The price.  Thats the hardest thing when seeing retailers.  They know that the customers frequenting there shops arent going to dish out $60 for a mask. 

7.  Yes or No:  Would you like to see some new designs on the masks?  If yes, give some examples.   Yes, tho they wouldnt have much retail value to anyone but me, with my sick sense of humor.  I would like to see one painted like Chewbacas face so it could double as a halloween mask.  Maybe one painted like an old goalie mask.  They look enough like them already, but put some little painted on airholes on them and it would look sweet.  Also, if there is anyway to put Pam Andersons face on one, that would be nice too.  You know, for s & g's.

McCarter  himself :-\'

thedude

i think a Boba Fett design would be more appropriate. :)

i use a snowmobile helmet on the nasty days (added benefit... it floats which i found out on sandusky bay... ). I've also used paintball masks... they are cheaper. ;)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

fishon1219

1. Do you wear it for every event?  If not why? I wear it 99% of the time when I am on the big lakes. When fishing smaller lakes the runs are much shorter and it is not needed

2. Tell me what you like and/or dis-like about the mask? I like the protection that fish hedz offers. It keeps the bugs out of my face and also hides my ugly mug from everybody. The one dislike I have is I have to lift it to expel a mouth full of Kodiak when running down the lake.

3. What you do feel would be a reasonable price to pay for the plain colored masks?   How much for the designed masks?Plain mask should be in the $40 range and the designed ones upwards of $80
4. Why did you buy one?  Be specific. I bought one because McCarter said they were the greatest thing since that old aerobics tv show that used to be on tv in the 80's. I really miss that show. Honestly, I bought it because McCarter liked it and he spends his money wisly and if he ponyed up some money for one it had to be good.

5. What would you like to see added to the product? I would like to see a larger seal around the eye portion of the mask. By larger I mean wider. I can't seem to get it to fit really tight around my fat face.

6. What would you like to see discontinued with the product? Noting that I can think off

7.  Yes or No:  Would you like to see some new designs on the masks?  If yes, give some examples. New designs are always cool. I think a spiderman mask would be neat. I would also like to see one that looks like Dan Kimmel.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Langer

Quote from: fishon1219 on June 21, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
The one dislike I have is I have to lift it to expel a mouth full of Kodiak when running down the lake.

Toughen up and just swallow it!
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

JCOOPER

I dont currently have one but would buy one for sure if they came available in Chewbaca or the DJK model.    Maybe even one with hair( painted or synthetic)
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

Genie

Anyone here an artist?   I'm smelling a new business opportunity painting fish hedz ...
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

TCook

I bought a new fish hedz in the carbon fiber color on ebay for $42 to the door, and thats one of the more expensive ones. I only use it on big water and I love it. It makes those long wet runs much easier on me. I personally wouldnt pay more than $50 for a mask. My mask has not leaked as of yet, and I had it on in a downpour running, so no complaints here.

T
FISH HARD!!!

squid

Quote from: Langer on June 21, 2007, 02:39:02 PM
Quote from: fishon1219 on June 21, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
The one dislike I have is I have to lift it to expel a mouth full of Kodiak when running down the lake.

Toughen up and just swallow it!

I wonder if they can install a spitune(sp?)...lol....hang the end of the hose off the back of the boat and spit to your hearts desire..lol

The painted hair sound good too....lol

joshimoto son

Maaannnnnn!

I left out the Star Wars refrence for fear of being an outsider.

Okay, A Darth Vader one and actually... my choice a true to form Storm Trooper one. They had one called "Storm Troopa" but it just wasn't the same.

Maybe a Homer Sipmson one too!

joshimoto son ;D

TCook

Ill take nick nolte's mug shot or Borat on my mask
FISH HARD!!!

blakstr1

Quote from: joshimoto son on June 21, 2007, 04:26:45 PM
Okay, A Darth Vader one and actually... my choice a true to form Storm Trooper one. They had one called "Storm Troopa" but it just wasn't the same.
joshimoto son ;D

Savage is doing a Storm Troopa mask up for his boy, took the white one and is cleverly adding the black to it..should be cool.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

joshimoto son

Another good idea...

All them fella's that custom paint crankbaits can do masks in an angler's favorite pattern.

Blueguill, babybass, firetiger... ship gumbo, shrimp kabob...

joshimoto son ;D

McCarter

Shrimp and potaters, too???

McCarter himself :-\'

Bassman24

No- mainly when it is cold or light rain. I should wear it all the time, but on nice days you get lazy or it is too hot and you just don't put it on.

Light and easy to maintain. / Like the ability to change out lenses.

My dislikes:
Fogging and using it in heavy rains.  My experience is it tends to fog up on the inside of the shield ecspecially in heavy rains.  I think the addition of air slits in the contours mouth area would help.

Can't speak to one another with them on.

$40-$45 for the plain masks
$65- for painted
$100 or better for special designs

NBAA had them out during their first year of existence and I liked the products function.

Air slits for the purposes listed in #2.

None that I can think of.

I think you have plenty general designs.  Many from this point would be custom per customer.

It is a great product that definitely has its place in the boating world.

George
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

Revtro

Every event where I expect to run at high speeds, it's on.  I wear mine every Tuesday night even in the summer months.

I like that I don't take bugs in the face anymore and don't swallow any more gnats either.  It allows me to run in the rain with much better visibility, thus feeling much safer.

$40 for the plain, $60 for the designs.

2 reasons.  Rain and Cold.  I got caught in the rain without one and couldn't see to drive due to the torrential downpour.  Also, I was a co-angler in the St. Clair River running 60mph in October in a single console.  Need I say more?

Standard carry bag.  That just makes sense.  2 lenses.  One clear and one smoke.

Uh, when I checked, the lens and the mask were the only thing in the box.  I guess we could discontinue the price tag and make it free.  :D

Sure.  A lot more black options would be cool.  Maybe something marbleized or crackled.  I always thought an all clear mask would be kind of cool too.

BTW - To those who have problems fogging up: I used to have fogging problems before I got one of the newer lenses.  You shouldn't get any fog.  You might want to contact them and get a new lense.  The older ones did fog up a bit.

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

I have one that I wear mostly on big water tournaments. I like it, it has helped my head and neck on those long runs and it keeps my glasses from getting all bugged up and wet. I have the all black one. The only thing I would change is the price. If you are a co-angler and have ever had to make the run from Detroit River to Pelee in a single console boat, it's a must have in my opinion.

BigSmallie

I have one that I've only used once on Saginaw Bay..........but it made the rough ride and rain very tollerable.  Excellent vision with this mask........however........after huffing & puffing over large waves......it started to fog up  >:(      I had to remove the mask so I could see where I was going half way on my long run.

It must need better venting for humid days and big guys huffing & puffing in rough water  ;D.

Other than the fogging........very nice.    But I would only use it when on big water & long runs.........otherwise I just wear my shades!  ;D

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

smbassman

I just recently got one of these masks and first used it running across erie on a nice day.  I did not find it useful and didn't really like it because I couldn't here anything but wind and the engine sounds from behind me.  I am sure it would be more useful on a boat with smaller consoles and less protective windshields.  But the BassCat windshield does a good job without needing the mask.

Then I was recently fishing Wixom Lk and was several miles from the launch when I saw the first bolt of lightning and a good storm rolling in.  I put on the Tech2O parka and grabbed the fish hedz and was running 50+mph back through a downpour and small hail and was not uncomfortable in the least.  I'll keep the mask for those rainy days and probably cold weather, but that is about it.

The bubbles blowing in the corner is rather annoying also.

For price - I'd say $30-35 ($50 if it didn't blow bubbles in the corner of your eyes) and it is a tool so I don't care what color or design it has on it.