Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Talk to me about jig setups

Started by Hollada, December 17, 2014, 10:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollada

What size jigs do you prefer and why?  Two situations - inland lake docks and weeds and lake st Clair or Erie.

What rod(s) do you use - length, power, action?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

That is like asking what car, beer, boat, women, sports team, and fishing stuff do you like.  Probably get a different answer from everyone you ask.  Best thing is figure out what works for  you.  Probably any 7 foot rod, good casting reel with braid or floro  line.  3/8 or heavier jig with a color that makes you happy will work.  Biggest tip I can give is fish something that gives you Confidence that you can catch fish.  Then spend hours and hours fishing it.  I know some canals on st-clair that you can catch fish on a jig in the spring.  Never fished it in open water but it should work.

Good luck.

ss

dartag

Listened to this doing my workout this morning.   He explains jig fishing pretty good.

The whole series is worth listening to. 

I am surprised you haven't had any of the pro-staffers chiming in how great there jigs are.

Manxfishing

I use a 7' MH for the full size 1/4-1/2 Oz jigs
And a Med for the Bitsy 1/8-1/4 oz

If the water is stained and it's a big jig I'll use 17# Coploymer or 10# on the smaller jigs
crystal clear it's Fluro
Just don't like Braid for jigs

In my opinion
A Dobyns 744 or 745 is overkill for Michigan bass
But it would be a great rod down south

Hollada

Why do you feel the Dobyns are overkill?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

The 745 looks nice but the price is to high for me.  I looked at Halo rods when i was in florida.    There Twilite series looks good,.    I may get a couple when we go back in February.   

Manxfishing

Quote from: Hollada on December 18, 2014, 06:42:44 PM
Why do you feel the Dobyns are overkill?

Like the rod
Just think a heavy rod is over kill for a jig rod in Michigan

Do you punch or flip allot?

Hollada

I have a lead on a used 744 for a pretty good price that's the only reason I am considering it. 

I think the 4 series is closer to a mh rod than a heavy - comparing to a rod like an avid.  So not sure if it's overkill?   It's range is 1/4 to 1 oz.  sweet spot is 1/2 from what I have heard.

The rod I have been using is a champion 735 and its a bit much.  Good frog rod though.

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

Manxfishing

Quote from: Hollada on December 18, 2014, 08:45:45 PM
I have a lead on a used 744 for a pretty good price that's the only reason I am considering it. 

I think the 4 series is closer to a mh rod than a heavy - comparing to a rod like an avid.  So not sure if it's overkill?   It's range is 1/4 to 1 oz.  sweet spot is 1/2 from what I have heard.

The rod I have been using is a champion 735 and its a bit much.  Good frog rod though.

Should work then
Let me know how you like the DX
I'm really interested in how much more feel they have over the Champion Series

Hoekset

DX 744 and 745 are my favorite jig rods.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Hoekset

Quote from: Genie on December 19, 2014, 12:02:22 PM
Hoekset is my favorite.

:-*

Genie throws jigs on some of the oddest rods I've ever seen.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Waterfoul

I don't throw a lot of jigs, but when I do I use mostly 3/8th and 1/2 oz Kustom Kicker jigs (imagine that, see below) on one of two rods.  Shimano Clarus 7' Medium Heavy with 12 lb P-Line florocarbon for open water conditions where I'm not having to haul them out of cover or a St. Crois Legend (the venerable blue rod!) 7' Heavy with 30 lb Power Pro braided line for flipping into cover.

I like the Clarus because it's not so stiff like the same action rod in the Crucial series.  I like the Legend because it will haul any fish out of any cover.  Sometimes I will throw the 3/8ths jigs on a MH Crucial spinning rod with a Power Pro/Floro leader setup.  Especially if it's windy at all.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Got Fish??

I rarely throw a jig. When I do , it's off deep breaks or river channels in open water. I use Kustom Kicker jigs in brown or dark green, I dress them with tubes or creature baits. Kustom Kicker made some costom white and emerald   green jigs for me, that work vary well in Lake Michigan.

DeanV

I tend to use my custom Shikari SHX 703 for jigs (1/4-3/4 rating).  Similar to a med power st. croix or 3 power loomis.

I do have a 704 power one as well that I would use if the jigs were above 1/2 oz or cover was heavier.