Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Quad helmet law

Started by oldjigger, March 17, 2014, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldjigger

was stopped by co and not given a ticket but after thinking about it wondering   going accross the ice on a lake on a quad law says only one passenger and must have a helmet.   we are all over 60 in this instance and only going 10 to 20 mph  yet you can ride a motor cycle in heavy traffic at 70 on the highway and it's legal?

why?

oldjigger

can't believe i didn't get one comment

djkimmel

I guess this post could fit several places - like ice fishing, or Free-for-all but lets just bump it up in here. Give it a couple more days.

I'm a little surprised but not completely that quad laws are different. You're going 'off-road' and I believe there are separate laws for that verses the street.

We should all know all the involved laws regarding our sports regardless, so this is a good reminder of that.

It took a long, long time for the street cycles to get the helmet law removed. I, personally, didn't think it was a good idea but the majority (squeaky wheel) can sometimes rule in America.

Not sure if the 'senior' angle would help, or hurt, your cause. But, I wonder if there could be a possibility of separate laws for ice fishing use verses other off-road use? I would imagine that would be a possible angle. I'd suggest you get something started through a local MUCC club towards a resolution. Not sure what kind of support you'd have but there's only one way to find out - ask.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I'ts your head, being a senior we don't bounce  back like we used to. I think helmets are a good idea know matter what you ride.

stackenem

10 or 12 years ago we were ice fishing about 200 yard off shore on mitchell lake. We used our quads to haul our shanties and equipment out and a co followed us onto the ice and told us if we didn't walk back to the truck and get our helmets we were getting tickets. About 3 hours later he returned and gave one of the guys a ticket for to many lines in the water. He had 2 tipups out. He also had a minnow on a jigging pole with the minnow setting in the water about an inch. That is the one he wrote the ticket for. He was going to write us a ticket one way or another. After he left a couple of locals came over and told us the only people that ever got tickets there were non local people as most of the locals didn't even have a lic. Guess they dont like us people putting money in there pockets up there.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

oldjigger

i HEARD THE OTHER DAY A GUY ON A
QUAD AND A GUY ON A LAWN MOWER WERE GOING ACCROSS THE LAKE SIDE BY SIDE AND THE GUY ON THE QUAD GOT A TICKET AND THE LAWN MOWER WAS OK

Waterfoul

You're splitting hairs with the lawnmower thing Dick.  It's a lawnmower... not an rv.

Off road recreational vehicles still require a helmet.  Simple as that.  Not sure you wouldn't wear one.  You only get one chance to bump your head.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

It's all explained in the DNR website under  orv.   There are 4 laws. 2 for quads , 2 for sleds. and trust me. It just doesn't make sense.   They are the exact oppsites of eachother depending on land, yer own land, and a lake.   Makes my head hurt :D
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on March 20, 2014, 09:44:31 PM
It's all explained in the DNR website under  orv.   There are 4 laws. 2 for quads , 2 for sleds. and trust me. It just doesn't make sense.   They are the exact oppsites of eachother depending on land, yer own land, and a lake.   Makes my head spin  :o

Just wear the darn thing and don't worry about it.   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I believe they are moving a trail bill through the Michigan Senate or House right now that will allow you to do something without a helmet on your own land. But I can't recall the specifics. I don't think it was ice fishing related.

I have never worn a helmet while moving my lawn on the lawn tractor. Glad to hear that is one thing I may not have to worry about. I did run into the old clothes line pole out back pretty hard one time. Cracked the hood but not my 'hood.'

I would suggest what I suggested above. If you want something changed go for it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. One person can sometimes make a difference but you have to put some effort where it will make a difference the most.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I started racing off road over 40 years ago.....I grew up as a third generation racer and ORV trail user....Rule around our house always was if the you start the motor the helmet better be on....and there was hell to pay if you even went for a cruise up the road to test a bike out without a helmet....

I can't tell you the number of pro type racers that I know that were hurt "Just putzing around".........So if guys at that level are getting hurt riding slow then I would think it would be wise for the weekend warriors to wear all the protection that they can possibly wear....Even if you are careful there is always that idiot that slams into you doing 100 mph across the ice....

With all the injuries that I have had racing I would ride in Bubble wrap if I could find a way to keep it duct taped to my body... ;D...

They make some awesome helmets now with flip of fronts......I really don't understand why anyone would want to ride without a helmet...

djkimmel

I like safety equipment. Life is too important. I feel the same way about kill switches and life jackets as you do about helmets. More people I know have been hurt, or even killed, while just messing around in a fast boat because they didn't feel the need for the life jacket or kill switch while they weren't in competition... it's too easy a thing to turn around with some simple choices.

The majority and squeaky wheels generally rule though so if someone feels strongly about something there is a process to do something about it.

oldjigger

not my point we're going 10 mph accross lake to fish we aren't tearing up the place and all so if we pull a trailer we can haul 4 or 5 but if we're riding a quad we can haul one and he needs a helmet. i can rig my lawn tractor with a plank accross the back and go same speed and Am legal no matter how many i pile on 

i am done with this snd this is my last comment    just like final answer

ACbassassassin

Sure can tell it's been a rough winter... ::)

Got Fish??

Seems to me that this issue, is not about whats safe or  lawful. Again it's your head. You and your family have to deal with the circumstances, tickets, loss of life or having your love ones take care of you for the rest of thier life . Because you caved your own skull in. Go for it cowboy!!

djkimmel

Not my point either... my overall point is do something about it. Get with a bass club or local MUCC club and start a resolution to change the law. That's the only way you can go from not liking it to getting it how you want it. The law is the law. But it can often be changed.