Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Pick one!?

Started by Wolfie729, March 07, 2014, 11:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

If you had to pick ONE!!! rod and reel to fish with forever what would it be brand and style?

MSURoss

7'1" St. Criox with 7:1 lews bb1

Manxfishing

For me

It's a Kistler Hel. 6-9" med with a Shimano 50mg
Wacky rig or small jigs

I did buy a 7' Kistler med z-bone and teamed it up with a Shimano core 50MG7 to replace or upgrade
the combo. But I like the old combo better. It just feels right

djkimmel

Can't do it. Won't do it. Be like trying to use only a hammer or a screwdriver to build a whole house. Might be a nice cabin fever question though.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I agree with Dan, like eatting potato chips. Can't have just one.

Wolfie729

Its all about just being a fun topic not litteral

Mine would be a 7'1 MH FT baitcaster

huston

TimH

7' Abu Garcia Vendetta Medium heavy paired with a 6.4:1Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier

djkimmel

I still can't do it.

Fished a lot of cane pole when I was growing up in Flint. Saw a neat sort of cane pole method a kayaker was user with buzzbaits in a video somewhere. Never cast. Just used the pole to run the buzzbait in and out of just about everywhere. Hand over hand to bring the big ole bass in. Has me thinking I might have to try that someday...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

I think I'd choose a 7ft MH Duckett or Kister spinning rod and a nice Shimano reel. I think I could do most everything with that... might not crank well but I'd sacrifice that for a rod that can handle most of the other techniques...
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

ACbassassassin

Quote from: MSURoss on March 07, 2014, 11:55:25 PM
7'1" St. Criox with 7:1 lews bb1

I've heard a lot of good things about Lews.

However, I was in Gander the other day and noticed they had a decent assortment of Lews behind the counter. So naturally, I had to play around with them.

Maybe it was an anomaly, but the BB1 I played around with almost had a slight grinding feel to it. I was slightly disappointed, as I am looking at replacing many of my older reels and the Lews BB1s were a top contender.

Big dreams

The BB1 is the smoothest reel I own.  I think you had a bad one.  Seriously, I can cast 10 yards further than my Quantum Tour Editions.  It is an amazingly smooth reel.  I can say that much.

ACbassassassin

Quote from: Big dreams on March 11, 2014, 08:34:00 PM
The BB1 is the smoothest reel I own.  I think you had a bad one.  Seriously, I can cast 10 yards further than my Quantum Tour Editions.  It is an amazingly smooth reel.  I can say that much.

Awesome. I figured there was something wrong with the one I was messing around with.

6 lb Smallmouth

My first thought was a spinning combo such as a 7' ML St Croix Avid with a Daiwa Ballistic 2500 (Probably go more high end but I don't even know what that is). 

But on second thought- 843 GLX with a Daiwa Zillion.  Either one.  Guess I'll go with the baitcasting combo.  Ask me tomorrow and I might say something different. 

Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Got Fish??

I'm a  blue collar kind of guy, so $ come into play. I like the extreme rods, from basspro.. Now as far as reels go, I like daiwas  spinning reel Lexa. Now if someone is going to buy a rig for me, then I want aSt Croix legend tournament bass rod and a  Shimano Sustain FG spinning reel 4000.

Jmcfarland

7' medium action spinning rod. Can do a lot of different things with that.

djkimmel

Quote from: JerkBate on March 13, 2014, 06:00:59 AM
Ask me tomorrow and I might say something different. 

Just one more reason I can't pick. It would change every few hours, or day or week. Thank goodness we aren't limited but I imagine some of you don't have the same 'personality issues' and could probably go a long way on one combo.

Manxfishing

Really
Out of the 30-40 rods
besides a frog rod and a few crank rods

THey really break down into just 3 rods for me
1.) med casting rod
2.) MH casting rod
3.) med spinning rod

Skulley

Quote from: Manxfishing on March 15, 2014, 05:54:59 PM
Really
Out of the 30-40 rods
besides a frog rod and a few crank rods

THey really break down into just 3 rods for me
1.) med casting rod
2.) MH casting rod
3.) med spinning rod

Yup..........

BD                                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

So you couldn't pick one either...