Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Honesty.

Started by Mojo, August 04, 2013, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Do waves spin reels really eliminate line twist ? 8 lb floro twist from tubes with no swivel?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Kal-Kevin

When you say wave what do you mean?  ???

Manxfishing

Dan

I bought and used one until it broke. Was replace with an inferior reel not nearly the quality of the original I purchased, but I guess the first one wasn't that good because it fell apart. Can't say they impressed me much.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

WaveSpin Reels are not marketed as eliminating line twist. They are marketed as (from their website):

EXCLUSIVE WAVESPIN™ GUARANTEE
MORE FISH CAUGHT With WaveSpin™ you are guaranteed more lure time in the water and more fish, PERIOD!

FREEDOM FROM TANGLES Time Wasted in clearing tangles and loops and tangles can cost you 100's of casts a day, more casts a day means more fish a day! How many more can you catch?

You can ask if they eliminate line twist but that is not what WaveSpin claims their reels do. The video below does a very good job at explaining the concept and why they are designed the way they are designed.

Eliminating line twist (actually most realistic statement is to talk about reducing line twist) on spinning reels has a lot more to do with how each angler puts line on their reels, how they handle their reels while fishing with them, including what techniques they use. What WaveSpin claims to do is to reduce wasted fishing time by helping you minimize and manage loops and tangles much better than a conventional round, smooth-edged spool.

I have several WaveSpin Reels (DH 3000 and DH 3000z). I have had one for 5 seasons. None of them have broken. I use mono, braid and fluorocarbon on them. I don't fish 130-140 days a year like I used to but I still go fishing and use them. I actually went fishing today and used a WaveSpin DH 3000z (my personal favorite) quite a bit today casting a wacky-rigged Xtreme Bass Tackle X-Worm on braid in river current through all kinds of cover. No wasted time with a single snarl or birds nest today. As advertised.

I cannot recall having a bad, stop me from fishing, pull of half your line and throw it away snarl, once on a WaveSpin. I have had loops sometimes, sure, but the loops don't tend to form into those exploding snarled birds-nests we spinning anglers universally dislike when using a WaveSpin.

Most of the time when I get loops, it's because I got lazy and wasn't managing my line on my spinning reel correctly. The benefit of the WaveSpin is it helps me 'get away' with it and keep fishing!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Thanx Dan,

There a interesting reel for sure, But i've yet to buy one
For me
The only line that bird nests on a spinning reel in the Floru
And I think it's more the line then the reel

PineLk 49

Quote from: Mojo on August 04, 2013, 02:54:49 PM
Do waves spin reels really eliminate line twist ? 8 lb floro twist from tubes with no swivel?
So glad to see things are going better for you!!

I do not know of a spin reel that will eliminate line twist. I do have a Wavespin reel and it does help to some degree.

One thing that will help is buying a reel with a bigger spool diameter. The smaller the spool the more the twist.

When I get line twist, I will do one of 3 things:
1st.. put my motor in gear and let line out with no bait on it. This will take the most twist out.
2nd.. If I am at home in the yard(yes you need a big yard), I will walk with bail open until I feel I am past my longest cast. Then just start walking. Always get neighbors interested in this technique.
3rd.. Just replace the line

If you want to get rid of it completely, use a bait caster reel.

Dave

djkimmel

I really like wide spools on spinning reels too. Unfortunately, most of the companies who have made them have either canceled their line of wide spool reels, or gone out of business, due to lack of sales. Another significant risk of being different...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

Quote from: PineLk 49 on August 05, 2013, 07:12:04 PM
Quote from: Mojo on August 04, 2013, 02:54:49 PM
So glad to see things are going better for you!!

I do not know of a spin reel that will eliminate line twist. I do have a Wavespin reel and it does help to some degree.
When I get line twist, I will do one of 3 things:
1st.. put my motor in gear and let line out with no bait on it. This will take the most twist out
2nd.. If I am at home in the yard(yes you need a big yard), I will walk with bail open until I
feel I am past my longest cast. Then just start walking. Always get neighbors interested in this technique.
3rd.. Just replace the line

If you want to get rid of it completely, use a bait caster reel.

Dave

Yuppers... I do all 3 as well ! I also keep an extra spool of 8 lb and 10 lb floro in my bag to swap out in tournaments. I heard what you wrote - it does help reduce twist.  Thanks...
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Dan

I too like a reel with a larger arbor for fluorocarbon line. Several years ago, after doing some research on using the larger arbor for fluoro, I found that Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris series made a real that was significantly larger. I have been using one for a couple years now and it does make a difference. Since, I have seen a US Reel and a Pfleuger that have the large arbor. In fact, I just bought a Pfleuger arbor to add a second reel devoted to full spool fluoro. I find the arbor in the 35 size to be the best choice.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

PineLk 49

Some times we conditioned every cast to throw that 150 to 175ft in open water.

If I am chucking a tube for 8 hours, I will remove 20 feet of line half way through the day and whip another 20 ft of line. This will help get you through the day too. It only takes a minute.

Not to get into this reel or that reel, but have you changed reels when you practice to see if it makes a difference?

You know all all this stuff... but if you are having this much trouble, the math is not adding up.Something needs to be tweaked.

Or... you are catching those 4 and 5 pounders. The drag can cause twisting too ;D

Dave

Team houston

For what its worth, I use a Pfleuger Arbor model also.

Got Fish??

I don't beleave floro is a good idea on a spincast reel. The nature of the beat is Spincast! It's a nice thought but, there is a lot of changing line over time. Not to  say that it can't be done.

Kal-Kevin

Sorry for asking what you meant by wave, you through me a curve when you talked of line twist. I own seven WaveSpin Reels and use nothing but WaveSpin since Russ got me to try them five years ago. Personally I would never buy any other reel as long as WaveSpins are made, I have tried to kill the one Russ gave me years ago. It will not die! It has been on the bottom of one lake left in more rain storms then I would like to think of and took every thing I could do to it short of packing it with sand. I know they where made to be use in salt water so water getting in them is not a problem if it does.
     Line twist is not a real problem to me since I re-spool before most tournaments and use line treatment when I fill them. Now what I do find is when you get a loop of line on the reel you do not have it mess up the reel and pull out line out of turn. With other reels I have to take time to un-spool line to clean up over spooling as I call it.
     What I find is more time for fishing, less time working my line off my reel, and more fish caught!

djkimmel

And that's what WaveSpin promises they will do.