email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

When it's one the line and the bite has been tough all day, what is your go-to bait to top off the limit?

Senko
- 11 (39.3%)
Grub
- 4 (14.3%)
Tube
- 5 (17.9%)
jig & worm
- 2 (7.1%)
Dropshot
- 1 (3.6%)
Other
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go to bait for a tough bite  (Read 12828 times)

stackenem

Re: Go to bait for a tough bite
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »

Last year on chemung The bite was tough in the tourney that I won. I used a black and blue 7inch senco just laying it on the bottom. I had five bites all day but I landed them all.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »

Man! That kind of patience is hard for me. I have one particular regular fishing partner - that is his job in team events.

I remember an ancient club tournament on Center Chain where the only guy catching any bass was sitting in one hole in the weeds tossing Sluggos and letting them lay there like 5 or even 10 minutes. That might put me in a comatose state, but it sure worked for him. (Maybe if I cut back on the coffee??)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • Champions are made in the off season
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »

We have a guy in our club that should try that deadsticking technique, because he always ends up taking a 1/2 hour nap out there on the water!  Now that's the ultimate in deadsticking, might have to coin a new term for that, like "camping" or "planting" your bait. ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Potter

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »

Split-shot rig with with a green pumpkin french fry fished SLOW = 1 squeaker!!

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 02:41:08 PM »

We have a guy in our club that should try that deadsticking technique, because he always ends up taking a 1/2 hour nap out there on the water! Now that's the ultimate in deadsticking, might have to coin a new term for that, like "camping" or "planting" your bait. ;D

We have an independent bass club in Lansing were the back-seater dragging while napping technique is (in)famous! They call is the 'CABA back-seater pattern.' This has been going on for at least 15 years. I think we do need a new coined phrase for general international use. You have a couple good suggestions there for a start...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

dhuff

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »

A guy I fish with does the same.  He will usually be sitting in the back of the boat just draging some bait and every now and then you hear something from him.  Turn around and he usually has a nice bass on the line. 

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »

Funny thing is, our guy is a BOATER!  If he was in back, it might be different,  I guess if a guy was doing that in back, he could be called the "Tailgunner"?  How about the "drift sock" technique? ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 04:57:11 AM »

Lots of guys listed finesse worms here, and I noticed at the last FLW event, almost every other guy across the weigh-in was using them, too.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

fiker

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • PB small mouth
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »

yum dinger in smoke pearl (4") w/ a 3/0 hook.  Not weight. 

Sometimes let it fall, sometimes fish it like a fluke.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Rick Fike
Vice president & Program Director Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Bronzeback5LBER

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 06:31:04 PM »

Kalins grub in green pumpkin round head jig,or arkie grub in green pumpkin with red flakes on a flathead jig.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »

Fiker-  ever try the smaller verions (3") of the Yum Dinger (or senko, or magic stick, for that matter) wacky rigged on a drop-shot setup?  The baby bass color scored really well in weedbeds for me last year.  I was just starting to learn about it, and plan to work it in some more for spot duty during tournamnets.  I did get one like this in a tournament last season out on the Bay.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

kgr624

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 12:40:09 PM »

Savage,
            Wacky style is my favorite go to style with a 5x 5" strike king worm watermelon red flake. I usually use it weightless or as a drop shot style. Another way to get some wieght on this is using a split shot with a 2-3 foot leader. It helps get the worm fibrating on the way down and drives bass crazy. Another little extra to use with this set up is a #2 red hook. For some reason it works. Can't tell you why but you gotta trust me.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Jmcfarland

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »

For me its gotta be a jerkbait. Either soft or hardbaits will always produce a strike.Accept for one time but that was a bad day >:(

Savage

• Recovering Fish-aholic
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 08:08:23 AM »

What make model and color on the jerk?  I like a white X-rap in clear water low light or cloudy, then the more natural green or black minnow X-rap when the sun hits the wah-tah.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

MaizeNBlue

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 11:40:28 AM »

good old fashion white spinnerbait, double willow.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge