Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Flares on LSC

Started by Rangerman, May 03, 2013, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerman

;D I have read and understand that flares are required on LSC due to three reasons ;D More than two miles accross, contected to the sea and also international waters. Some to the locals I have talked with say they are not needed. Yes you are a fool to go with out em, but need alittle input from you Lake St. Clair fishermen. Yes I got em, but a few of the guys coming up from NC are in question. Thanks

thedude

Flares are required for boating on the great lakes. St. Clair is considered part of the great lakes. Bring some flares.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Skulley

They are required on LSC. Periodically the Sheriffs as well as th MDNR will randomly do a boat inspection and will ask to see them. Be a good "boy scout" and always be prepared.

BD.                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Rangerman

Thanks guys, what about if we cross into Canada?? I know the call in 800# deal. Again thanks

Cy

From what I understand, If you cross into Canada make sure you DO NOT have a flare gun.  I think that is a no no in Canada.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

motocross269

Quote from: Cy on May 03, 2013, 10:40:39 AM
From what I understand, If you cross into Canada make sure you DO NOT have a flare gun.  I think that is a no no in Canada.

You can take a Flare gun into Canada without declaring....It just has to be for "Flare" use only...it can't be an HK or something along those lines that can shoot Flare ammo and shotgun shells......
Handheld flares are practically useless in daytime and I reccommend carrying a launcher...

Remember you have to have 6 flare devices in Canada.....

Rangerman

That makes sense, a 12 gauge flare pistol will not chamber a 12 ga. shot gun or slug shell ;D and yes I understand Canada is just a wee bit funny on gun laws :D :D :D If I decide to run into Canada I'll have to run the old Glock back to the truck anyway ;D to guard the non 10 cent tax paid cold beer ;D Just looking forward to the trip to the land of soft concert boat ramps and hope the fish biting.

motocross269

It's been a few years but I have hunted in Canada....There was a Form you had to fill out and declare at the border to bring a firearm across. I am not really sure what you would have to do on the water...I am sure it could be done but who wants to raise any flags...

djkimmel

Yes - remember there are state requirements and federal requirements, and Ontario/Canada requirements possible on St. Clair. I did ask Canadian law last year about plastic flare guns and was told they are not illegal.

Make sure the flares are not expired. I have handheld launchers. I also have orange smoke flares for bright daytime use though the red burning flares are legal for daytime use. I carry the launchers, and hand held regular red and orange smoke flares. The US Coast Guard may ask you if you have a manual signal of some type. I found a large orange foldout signal flag for $5 on sale somewhere. I carry that too as cheap backup insurance.

As long as you have at least 3 non-expired legal daytime flares for US and 6 for Canadian waters you don't need the flag or similar device.

Have a horn or loud whistle designed for emergency signaling. It's good to be legal, but even better to be safe so you and your fishing partners can enjoy your bigwater fishing!

A VHF radio is a good idea too - recommended for us, but not required. Many people buy hand held radios but remember they have limited range and VHF is line of sight. It is possible to be out of range, same as with cell phones. It's much better nowadays than the 'old' days.

I also recommend a compass as a backup for failed GPS. We should never rely on just one tool to cover each general safety need.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

My flares expired last year...What the heck am I suppose to do with those?? Save them for the Fourth of July.. ;D.........

As for all safety equipment make sure you know how to operate the flares.....When the crap is hitting the fan isn't the time to read the instructions... ;D......I learned that hard lesson in a far away place.... ;)

djkimmel

Quote from: motocross269 on May 03, 2013, 08:05:47 PM
My flares expired last year...What the heck am I suppose to do with those?? Save them for the Fourth of July.. ;D.........

As for all safety equipment make sure you know how to operate the flares.....When the crap is hitting the fan isn't the time to read the instructions... ;D......I learned that hard lesson in a far away place.... ;)

I burn mine off in the back yard just before dark whatever day I want. I call it practice. You can keep a few emergency extra recently expired in the boat for a real bad emergency too. As long as you have enough good ones.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Slipkey

Quote from: Rangerman on May 03, 2013, 03:05:19 PM
Canada is just a wee bit funny on gun laws :D :D :D If I decide to run into Canada I'll have to run the old Glock back to the truck anyway

Good call. Unauthorized posession of a handgun in Canada is up to a 5 year prison term (with "trafficking" up to 10 years) and the right of seizure applies to all equipment used in the commission of that crime - as in your boat or truck. My dad fishes Manitoba and Ontario waters on Lake of the Woods regularly and, a few years ago, there was a group fishing on the ice nearby that lost their ride home and the driver of that ride when he forgot to leave his handgun in the U.S.

thedude

i've hunted canada quite a bit. there is a form you have to have filled out in triplicate and signed/stamped/notarized by the canada customs agent at the border. don't know if you can do it ahead of time or not, but they can ask to see/inspect the gun if need be. I think it's only for long guns and i've never had a lick of trouble getting several guns across the border.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Rangerman

Thanks guys it all makes common sense that flare guns are legal due to the safe boating deal, I just do not want to violate a law unwillingly ;D I understand Canada is just a little funny about Glocks and intend to avoid ;D

bob o

so after reading this post i figure i should go and see there are any flares in the glovebox of the boat. yep a brand new never opened package of hand held flares that expired in sept of 06.  ::) another trip to gander mtn

VinceR

Handguns are definitely a "no-no" in Canadian waters. Even US "LEOS" have to leave their's stateside.

djkimmel

I read too once you make the Canucks angry certain ways... they won't let you come over anymore either! :o

Keep those flare up-to-date bob o. The best way to never need them is to keep them up-to-date!

bob o

Quote from: djkimmel on May 07, 2013, 12:39:55 AM
I read too once you make the Canucks angry certain ways... they won't let you come over anymore either! :o

Keep those flare up-to-date bob o. The best way to never need them is to keep them up-to-date!

i'll have up to date flares on thursday, but how do i disgare the old ones? i don't think just tossing them in with the regular trash would be such a great idea.

bob o

Quote from: bob o on May 07, 2013, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: djkimmel on May 07, 2013, 12:39:55 AM

i'll have up to date flares on thursday, but how do i disgare the old ones? i don't think just tossing them in with the regular trash would be such a great idea.

http://www.orionsignals.com/faqs/marine-safety-faqs/57.html

ha i quoted myself :o