Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:27:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ultimate Show thoughts...

Started by Bassman24, January 16, 2007, 12:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman24

I really thought the show stepped up on the tackle side of things.  Everytime I took a stroll by the tackle areas the booths looked busy.  I did have a buddy from work say he wished there were more walleye tackle, but he still enjoyed it. 

It was also great to see so many friends.  It was almost too hard to stay in the area I was working.  Every walk taken I had the opportunity to chat with someone.  I still say the community of folks I get to meet being a crazy addicted bass fisherman is really the best thing about this sport. 

I am really looking forward to the season and I am sure to see you all soon.

George T

George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

McCarter

I loved the show.  It was a lot of fun working with Wonderland Marine West.  I dont know what the total tally was, but i know they moved a good amount of boats. 

Like you said, the best part is catching up with old friends and meeting new people.  its always nice to put faces with the names.

I didnt have a ton of time to browse, but was able to swing by a few booths.  Waynes booth was busy everytime i walked by.  I never actually seen Wayne, but his staff seemed to have everything well under control.  Mike at Mikes Rx was busy busy busy, too.  He always brings the 'hard to find' and 'wow, never seen anything like that before' stuff to the shows.  I wish i had more money to spend there.  Terry and the Red dragon crew were busting it out too.  Ken and the KD Outdoors gang seemed busy as well.  Didnt get a chance to talk to Ken himself, but Mike said things were going very well.

I always like to see those infomercial types there too.  I seen one dude playing with pots and pans for an audience of about 20 people.  And i think i seen the shammy people there as well.  i was disappointed that the Badger Milk people werent there giving out free samples.  I was looking to stock up for the year.  Guess i will have to order online.

All in all, it seemed to be a success.  People were actually spending money this year.  Maybe that is a sign that things are picking up in Michigan.  Gas prices are down, heating costs have been down due to the warm weather, a lot of people i have been talking to are getting busy at work again.  Good times are coming, boats for everybody!

McCarter himself :-\'

SethV

It was a pretty good show.  Wayne got me for 200 tubes, other than that I did not buy much.  Of all the seminars, Kim Stricker's was the best.  He had some great underwater video.  Very cool.

It seemed like the day flew by.  It was good to see everyone.

Seth

gbaade

I thought it was a great time. I took my wife and 2 of my 3 kids and thought I might be in for a short or long day depending on how you look at it. As it turned out there was just enough stuff to keep the kids interested. They both caught a Trout, watched the dogs jump, practiced casting, and moved enough tackle from spot to spot that some of the places will have to hire extra people to organize it again. :D

The tackle booths were great and I ended up spending 200 bucks on "deals". Even saw some things I hadn't seen before. My wife thought the Love Connection lures were the greatest idea in the history of fishing. If she was a fisherwoman Chuck Woolery would be alot richer. ;DO and I did get some LC's on a 2fer deal.

The seminars I saw were decent. KVD's were my favorite because he reassured me that some of the ways I fish a drop shot and tubes were not the way a maniac would fish them. The Musky seminar was kind of a ramble but what do you expect from an 80 year old man. Poor guy almost fell off the boat twice due to the trolling motor. And the sound system sucked.So a little frustration was understandable.  Mike Kajevcz (sp?) was good and I am suprised there wasn't more people there for a Walleye seminar. I didn't see Strickers and that bummed me out, sounded like it was good. I also got former Tiger Milt Wilcox's autograph for my Dad!

Didn't get to meet a ton of people but the one's I did were all great guy's. Mccarter took time from a boat sale to chat and introduced me to the ever elusive and unvested Dan Kimmel. :) as well as Cheetam. Being new to the site and the Bass "community" it was great to meet you all.

GM Baade

outdoorkid

the fishing show was the best. it allways is i was their all day every day. i liked Joe Balog and KVD the best i bought many lures that i couldnt find at the local gander mountain or bass pro like mega bass in mikes rx i also got a custom g loomis rod for $100 at red dragon.

__ Jayson

Skulley

The show is getting better and better.  I went on Friday night and again on Monday afternoon with my son and a young man whose Mom is a good friend of the families.  The boys really had a good time.  I met Jose and Fishon.  I didn't get to meet the infamous McCarter or Cheetam.  Maybe next time fellas.  I did ask for you at Wonderland on Friday McCarter but they said you were not there.  I didn't go to the Wonderland area on Monday.  The boys and I hung around my good, good friends at Angler's Marine (of course with myself being an owner of an old Champion). 

Seminars were good.  I saw Balog, Stricker, and Wayne's.  I always enjoy Wayne's much more than anyone elses because his is educational.  However, Balog's and Sticker's were top notch too.  Those really were the only ones I was really interested in because of the topics. 

I give the whole thing "TWO THUMBS UP".  Can't wait until the weather breaks and we can all go fishing.

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I thought about trying to list all the GreatLakesBass.com members I talked to... but that was DAYS ago already!!!

I'm sure I'd leave someone off.

Funny, I had several reports of my elusiveness at the show. I'm thinking about getting a hat with a red fire engine flasher on top. I'd just walk around with that rotating and flashing on my head... I'd be easier to find then!

gbaade - as far as Muskie Bob, you have to listen to someone who has fished Lake St. Clair for 78 years!!!! What you don't know it that we think the guy running the trolling motor was purposely trying to toss the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame Legendary Guide Bob Brunner into the drink over a lost big smallmouth bass contest last summer! Had to be H2o doing the driving (and sabotaging! ;D)!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cheetam

This year's show was pretty good, although I must say I didn't walk around half as much as I have in the past (it helps with controlling the "gotta have that" urge I tend to get when I'm around tackle ;D).  The best part of going to these shows is definitely seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  To those of you I had a chance to meet and hang with (you know who you are), I had a blast...thanks!
Jeff

bosshawg

dan, we seemed to bump heads a couple times there. i agree w/the choices we had in tackle selection. so much, so little time. w/terry (red dragon)in our club, feel guilty didn't get anything from him. wasn't able to a 'senko' inventory before show, but i'm sure to hook up w/before season beginning. i did find the tubes i was hunting for. wayne was in not to short of anything.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Hooksetter

I thought the show was pretty good. Went Friday night and Saturday morning for the TBF meeting. Took in a few seminars, bought some tubes.

I don't know what model it was but the Champion in the red, white and blue colors really caught my eye. I think it was a 202 or a 206. Whatever it was I was impressed.

Did anybody check out the Outlaw Rods-I was impressed by them also. Very light and sensitive, especially for $100.00 bucks. Same warranty as GLoomis. Does anybody here use them or know someone that does? I wonder if they fish as good as they looked.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

smbassman

I saw the outlaw rods also.  They did look very nice.  I good burned last year on a Grandt rod that seemed nice until the water softened and I got to use it.  So, I decided not to buy any more rods at shows unless I was already familiar with them.  I am interested to hear some reports on them though.

DanM

Hey smbassman if u don't mind me asking, how did you get "burned"?

I thought the show was pretty good and met some intresting people even though I got called a "Jon Bondy" look-a-like..lol...

Bassman24

Hooksetter, it was a 200 Elite.  The red, white and blue looked good with E-tec on the back.  We had tons of compliments on that one and the 183 next to it.  And I believe we sold the 206 that was there too. 

George
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

smbassman

Quote from: DanM on January 18, 2007, 08:14:15 AM

I thought the show was pretty good and met some intresting people even though I got called a "Jon Bondy" look-a-like..lol...

It was no ones fault but my own, but last year I was drawn to the huge Grandt Rod display (not there this year).  I had been looking for a 7'6" one piece spinning rod and they had one that felt decent, and it said it was a med. power, fast action.  When I got a reel on it and on the water, it was anything but fast action (more like a noodle rod) and the extra 6" over the typical 7'er was in the handle and not the blank.  The sensitivity is horrible as well.  Other than the sensitivity, I should have caught all the other issues before I handed over my money.

After close examination(at home without 100's of people bumping into you), the $120 Grandt rods were more comparible to a $50-$60 rod in quality.

djkimmel

Quote from: DanM on January 18, 2007, 08:14:15 AM

C'mon! You're much better looking than Jon Bondy!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Just saw a report that KD Outdoors will be the first Michigan Outlaw rods dealer.

Team houston

I saw at the show they were on special for $100. How much will they sell for at K+D?

motocross269

I bought a 7 ft spinning rod (med) at the show..I really like the feel of it but only time on the water will tell for sure..I took it home and put a shimano reel on it and gave it a few casts in the back yard..feels pretty good..It is way lighter in weight then my GL3 loomis.
Outlaws web site sells the rods for 99.95, but it is 25.00 for shipping..So if KD sells them for around 100.00 it would be a deal...

motocross269

Quote from: motocross269 on January 19, 2007, 08:32:33 PM
I bought a 7 ft spinning rod (med) at the show..I really like the feel of it but only time on the water will tell for sure..I took it home and put a shimano reel on it and gave it a few casts in the back yard..feels pretty good..It is way lighter in weight then my GL3 loomis.
Outlaws web site sells the rods for 99.95, but it is 25.00 for shipping..So if KD sells them for around 100.00 it would be a deal...

OUTLAW ROD....Just thought I should clear that up