Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:43:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Novi Show - What did you like/dislike?

Started by Revtro, January 16, 2006, 10:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I enjoyed this year's show.  I saw some things this year I've never seen (or noticed) that I thought were cool.  I saw the custom rods at the booth where Wagonsomer was working.  (You were busy, sorry I didn't say hi)  They were like works of art.  They reminded me of high end pool cues.  Very artistic.  I don't think I'd buy one to fish with, but they would make pretty cool additions to my outdoor room at home.

I got a chance to stop by The Fishers of Men booth and talk to John.  He's a heck of a guy and I'm looking forward to fishing that trail this year.  I worked a booth for the first time and even though I ended mostly packaging for Gobi Wayne Kenobi, I had a great time and met a couple of cool guys.  The new color of grubs and tubes he has for this year looks dynamite!

The Skeeter display with the Sega games were kind of cool.  I have that game at home and play it all the time.  I guess I'm still a kid that way.  Got to see Joe Thomas on Lake Ultimate.  I really like Joe, love his show.  He's a great guy who takes a lot of time to talk to people.  I met him several years ago and have some great pics.  His seminar was kind of basic, but I did enjoy seeing how he works a topwater.  He's a cool dude!  I'd pay just about anything to spend a day on the water with him. 

Saw the new Yamaha Wave Runner.  Gotta have one.  "Tom!...wake up, you're dreaming again!"  Huh?  er... what?  Sorry 'bout that.  Fell asleep I guess.

I was kind of bummed at the size of a couple of the seminar rooms.  I wanted to listen to Gerry Gostenik this year, but couldn't get into to see him because he was in a small room and it was jam packed.  Grr.  They need to give these guys more space.

I didn't get a chance to get the Stricker DVD because I didn't notice it for sale at a booth anywhere.  I heard you could only get it after his seminars.  I guess I'll have to order it.

And I didn't like having to pay for parking every day...especially as as an exhibitor.  People working the show should park for free since they're there multiple days.

All in all, I had a great time and liked this year's show. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Savage

Liked seeing some new tackle and meeting some new people.  Plenty off tempting new baits on the market, almost too many choices.  the seminars I managed to catch were good.  I was happy to stock up on Fat Free Shads in my favorite colors!

Disliked all the non-bass fishing stuff, but I worked around it. ;)  Can't believe anyone would have the gall to sell Jetskis at a fishing show!
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

i liked the show...wish i could've seen at least one seminar on Lake Ultimate...got to see the dogs jumping though :P  Kim's DVD was for sale at the Schubert's booth...he sold quite a few of them this past weekend..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Revtro

I wish I'd have seen those videos for sale at that booth.  :( 

I know what you mean about the jetskis, but I sure I could buy one.  Too much fun!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

DennisB.

I thought this show was a huge improvement over years past, they did good. Wilson brought to many tuna boats as usual but thats them. I thought the two best looking boats there #1 that ChampioN 206 #2 the Nitro 591 ( that boats is impressive coming from nitro) the Skeeter I class really didn't do anything for me, even though I own a skeeter. I thought Joe thomas did great, He hooked a trout on a pointer and the guy next to me almost fainted watching him remove the hooks ;D  This was the first show that my wife didn't try to rush me through just to get out of there. Had a good afternoon..

DennisB.

blakstr1

i'm assuming the Champ you were referring too was the red one with the stainless steel wheel wells on the trailer...man that was a beautiful boat, i thought the guages were really cool too..  i am too anal about cleaning and polishing to have one of the Ranger Z boats..with all of that chrome (or polished ss??) i would always be wiping finger prints off!  I bought a Champ as my first boat mostly because it was a good deal and i talked to lots of Champion owners and didn't run into any that disliked the boats.  Of course I love my boat now and can really see (and feal) the differences between it and other brands of boats.  Some are comparible but in my biased opinion none seem better...again my biased opinion but that Red 206 in Novi stole the show!
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

I couldn't hear any of the semiars good.  I was in every seminar room and there was too much noise from the outside.  Tom, buy a jetski from the 90's, with the new pollution/saftey laws the new ones aren't as fun as the old one. 
-Matt

Revtro

I'm just dreaming.  There's no way I could even afford a used jetski at this point.  The boat pretty much sucks up all my extra cash.  It's a great thought though.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dhuff

I'm with Matt on the sound issue.  We went to most of the seminars and could hardly hear a thing.  Most of the time I sat there and was like huh what did he say, so they need to do something about that.  I was also disapointed with the stuff for sale there. They make it out to sound like the big ultimate fishing show.  I would rather go spend money at Bass Pro Shops, there really is only a few good booths there.  And most of the booths just seel the same thing.  However, it was a good exscuse to get out of the house and check out fishing stuff which is never bad.  I must agree that new Nitro is very nice.  I would say I had a good time the $10 Lucky Crafts were nice to bad they didn't have any of the colors I really wanted left but hey I got some good ones.  The Midwest-sportsman tournament trail booth was nice that is going to be a fun trail to fish.  With 22 boats he said it is 1000 tot he winner.  He told us 90% payback in cash and the other 10% goes into prizes.  Can't beat that.  They have some good lakes on their schedules too.

smbassman

The show was a good excuse to get out, but the tackle and stuff was disappointing.  Most of the tackle booths seemed like they were all salmon/big water trolling stuff or the low end walmart bargain bin crap.  I did get stocked up on some heavyweight tube heads for a good price at the shuberts booth though.  The Extreme booth was packed and didn't get in there.  I got "talked into" a Grant rod by MadWags.  I hope it turns out to be a decent rod for the price - but I really bought it because I just couldn't walk out of there without buying something.

As for the boats, none of the brands there do much for me.  They were all(Champion, Ranger, Skeeter) nice looking boats but they are not a BassCat.  After my switch from the "best bassboat made" (Ranger) to the BassCat and riding in many other boats, I will have a hard time even considering any other brand.  I have heard that the show in Grand Rapids will have some Cats, so I will be taking a road trip in early March to check out the new Puma in person. 

Bulletproof

As some of you may know from previous posts I'm in the market as a prospective buyer for a new boat.  a modest boat, as our budget will not let me purchase the one i'd really like.  However once i finish up school and find a job, lol, i will be looking for that dream boat.  I also am very seriously considering a Bass Cat.  There was no Bass Cats to be found at the novi show and the dealers whom i inquired about them kind of were stand offish to this request.  why do you want a bass cat, oh there rear ends are ugly type stuff.  From what ive read, heard, and seen bass cats are a great boat.  I was checking out bassboatcentral.com and seen some real beauties.  at some realistic value as well.  i dont want to spend much more then 25k once i can afford a 'great boat'.  now i know there are many great boats out there for that price range, but it appears to me(IMO) that you can get alot more boat and generally speaking a newer model for this price range compared to ranger, skeeter, and triton.

So to all you bass cat owners out there what do you like about your boat compared to others on the  market.  Are their 20ft+ models good boats for big water?  or does anyone have any good insight on these boats in general?

I'm all ears......
I am haunted by waters.

MBell

In this market I wouldn't buy a new boat until you check out some used boats, there are some real steals out there.  I've heard they are good boats, to me the design/style is outdated. 
-Matt

cwinsiii

Bulletproof

PM Revtro he has a Pantera III, I think Basscats are nice boats. I think they could design the console better its square shaped. They could design it to look a lot nicer, more modern.

If you want a Triton, I'm going to be looking into selling mine its 20ft with a 200hp.

Thanks
Clare

McCarter

Are BassCats still in MI?  I know Wonderland Marine used to carry them.  I dont know if any MI dealers are carrying them anymore.

If you want a good boat for around 25k, i would suggest looking into Stratos.  They are a good boat and they handle well on the big water.  They are not trimmed out as nice as a Triton, Ranger, or Skeeter but then they dont come with a 45k price tag either.

If you want to get into a nice 20+ foot boat for around 25k, definatly look into a used boat.  If you want to get into a newer used boat for around 25k i know a very well taken care of Strat that is up for sale right now.  The boat is immaculate and very, very fast.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

smbassman

Bulletproof -

The new BassCats are not much like the older Pantera III mentioned above - though that model is an awesome big water boat for a 19ft'er.? The new models have bigger, aerodynamic consoles and look much better than the pre-2003 boats.? Some have commented that the consoles are too big, but that is personal choice I guess.? When running the great lakes, I like the big consoles.? I have the Cougar FTD that has more storage than anybody would ever need and has the best ride of any boat I have been in.

What really sets BassCat apart is the strength of the hulls/materials used, overall ride & their customer service.? If you look at www.basscat.com and look at their owners page.? They have a forum for owners(or potential owners) to ask questions or make comments and receive replies from either BassCat staff or the owner, Rick Pierce or you can call and talk directly to him.?

The hull materials(resins) are top grade and many grades above the typical in the bassboat market.? The strength can really be seen on rough days that really pound a boat - like St. Clair on a hot Saturday afternoon.? My previous boat, a Ranger 492VS(21.5'), would take a serious pounding with T/M mounts coming loose, lid hinges coming loose, consoles shaking violently on every pounding wave and stress cracking all to h#!!.? Windshields blowing apart, and several times it felt like the boat was being broken in two.? This all has a lot to do with my "aggressive" driving, but none of this exists with the BassCat.? Everything in this boat is solid, there is no shaking in the console, no pounding waves just smooth landings and the agility to run the mogul course around metro beach.? I have not had a single day on the water yet that was uncomfortable to drive the boat in, and I have been in some rough stuff.

As for the local dealers, there are none.? Ohio and Indiana are it right now, but that will hopefully change soon when they find a dealer with attention to customers and service that is up to their standards.? ?I drove to Indiana for mine and could not be more pleased.? I feel I get more personal attention from that dealer(online and phone) than what I have experienced here and the price could not be touched.?

I noticed you are in the Freeland area, so I am sure we could get together this spring/summer for a test drive to see what I am talking about - if your interested.? I live in Vassar, but will be on the Bay a lot this spring.? In the mean time, plan a day trip to Grand Rapids in early march and the dealer I bought from will be there with 4-5 new models.

Get a hold of me this spring if your interested in that ride.  And how could anyone say a Cat was ugly - I think jealousy is playing a little part in their response.

Eric

I forgot to go back and buy the DVD.  I planned t go back to the booth and get it before I left.  Oh well, I guess I'll get it next time. 

I also know of a nice used Stratos for around 25,000.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Revtro

Bulletproof,
I own a Pantera III and I absolutely would buy another BassCat after my experiences with it.? I have recently been on a 21 foot Comanche.? Yes, it's a little bit smoother of ride to be sure, but it's also a bigger and wider boat.? For a 19 and half foot boat, I could not be happier with the ride, especially on St. Clair in the rough stuff.? And for this quality of boat, you can't beat the price.?

Prior to owning this boat, I had a 20 foot deep hull walleye style big aluminum boat that I bought so that I could have a better ride on big water.? What a mistake.? The BassCat ended up being a much better ride.? Go figure.? And I've also been out in some very rough stuff.? I've always felt safe and reasonably comfortable.? But let's face it, no bass boat is gonna be completely dry and comfy in 4 footers and above.? It depends more at that point on how you drive it.

And I agree completely with smbassman.? With my BassCat, I don't get screws coming loose or hinges breaking etc.? I have friends with many different (high end) boats and they're all great, but most of them don't take the pounding as well.? As for styling, BassCat has stuck with a certain style and to me it's all personal preference.? I think it's a beautiful boat.? On cold days I like the slightly larger consoles and there's tons of storage.? If I could change one thing about the BassCat's styling, I might add footrests for the passenger like the Skeeter does.?

If I were to consider a different brand at this point, I'd have to go with Ranger as my second choice.? A friend of mine has a Comanche and it is a very smooth ride.? The boat rocks.? It's an extremely stable ride with lots of storage, etc.? But it does come with a little higher price tag, so that's always a consideration.?

Unfortunately though, Wonderland no longer sells BassCats.  I bought one of the last 2 they ever sold.  But they're worth the drive to go buy.  I spoke with a BassCat rep recently who told me that they would work with local repair shops if I ever need warranty work.  I haven't needed any, but it's good to know that this is the kind of customer service you can expect with the company.  Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  :)

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cheetam

Dislikes:
Parking $5 each day
Admission $9 each day
Too many Pontoons, PWC, not enough fishing (bass) rigs
Poor audio quality at the seminars
Not a huge variation in tackle from booth to booth
Only spent $25 bucks on tackle (don't know if this is an indication of a poor selection, or the fact that I own 2 or three of every piece of tackle under the sun...I'm guessing the latter)
Getting stood up the first day by a certain board member... :D

$4 beers
Meeting up with and talking to a lot of guys from here, LSCN and various clubs and circuits
Jeff

smbassman

Hey REVTRO-

You bought the boat I was looking at when I decided to go down to Indiana.  Nice looking boat!  When I was looking at it, they could not tell me for sure whether that EFI was the new 3.0Liter or the 2.5Liter(except when I said I would not consider the 2.5 they said yep its a 3liter!  Salesman - gotta love 'um).  Do you know for sure what it was?  I am assuming that boat is a screamer if it does have the 3liter.  Probalby 72-74mph and lots of low end power for rough water. 

Again - Nice looking boat.  I am sure you will be happy with it for along time.

Revtro

That's funny about the salespeople.  Yep, it's a 3 litre.  I keep a pretty heavy load in the boat, so I'm used to around 70 as my top speed.  But if I carried a conservative load, lost a few pounds from my fat butt, and didn't have water in the livewells, 74 shouldn't be a problem.  I haven't really tried to push it yet.  I do like the low end power, but they had the wrong vent plugs in the prop, so I had some issues with getting on plane.  Once I swapped them out for smaller ones, it jumped right up and handles rough water at lower speeds better now. 

I agree with Jeff on the dislikes about the show too.  In fact, I didn't spend a dime on tackle.  Although, I was meaning to buy some stuff from Wayne, now I have to order it I guess.  Grr.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]