Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hook n' Look Splash #11 - Side-Imaging Docks

Started by DannyStricker, October 22, 2012, 09:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyStricker

Hook n' Look Splash Episode #11 shows you how to effectively use Humminbird Side-Imaging to find irregular features holding bass underneath floating boat docks.

http://www.hooknlook.com/splash-11-side-imaging-docks/

Just so everyone knows we typically use the "default" Side-imaging settings on our Humminbird 1198, as long as you fully understand what you are looking at on the screen.  If you are still confused please watch more of our Humminbird specific Splash's or ask question on here or our site.

djkimmel

I like default settings! I remember some past underwater dock work down south y'all did that was pretty enlightening!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

DannyStricker

hey Dan, I know default settings are the best!  I mentioned it cause we get asked alot about what are settings are to be able to see the fish best on the Humminbird SI.  The truth is that most people don't fully comprehend the image they are looking at on the screen, and when you do understand it you will start to see all the white "fish" dots in all the right places.

djkimmel

I appreciate the info for sure. I was with someone who had an unfamiliar unit and he said he couldn't see anything. We were trying to get a baseline and this 'unfamiliar' unit (read other brand) was more complicated than the previous boats I've been in. I think it was the unit looking a lot different in default. We had to trol by some known objects and even then it was hard to reconcile. I like the default on the Humminbird SI units I've played with a lot better!

Keep up the great work!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Agreed.  The default settings work just fine and I try to explain that to customers when demonstrating the units here in the store.  The "average" fisherman just doesn't know how to interpret what they are seeing on the screen.  Or if you're like me, the screen has a lot of finger prints and water spots on it that you THINK are fish!   Wow, I need to clean my screens more often, here in the store, and in the boat!

Danny, do you guys have a tried and true method of cleaning the screens on the SI units?  I've tried several products and some home remedies and none of them seem to do a really "great" job. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

That's a nice piece of information. It's nice that Dan has managed to attract fishing personalities to show us their ways. I have had side imaging for a couple of years now, and don't fully understand it yet. I'm too stubborn to open the book and sit on the lake to figure it out.

Mike, I don't know if you have noticed on both of my units, but I have screen protectors that I bought off of eBay for both. They are removable, and reusable. I clean my units with windex. All spots and prints disappear instantly. Nothing has ever touched either of my screens since they came out of the box. I believe I paid 10 or 12 bucks a piece for them. Might want to check them out.  I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't cleaned them in a while now. Especially the front one. I'm trying to keep your spots a secret from you when you're on my boat.

Waterfoul

Do not use anything with alcohol on the screens of any fish finder... it will eat the finish.  You're screen protectors probably keep this from showing up right away, but the alcohol in windex will eventually do damage.  Be careful.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

I bought a new TV and it came with a cleaning kit. In the kit was a small spray bottle of the cleaner. NO ALCOHOL. Its meant for HDTV's but works great on my HB's. Small spray bottle fits nice in the glovebox too. Its called Monster Screen Clean. I'm sure they arent a sponsor of GLB, so I might have to delete my own post. LOL

djkimmel

Not unless you quit your job at Home Depot to work for them!?! ;D

Of course, if it really works and you know someone from the company... have them give me a call!! :D

BIGSHOW

The screen protector is a good idea. Didn't even think of that. They pic up prints and water spots easy. As for windex,thats a big no no. unless they have a safe for monitor,tv etc. I use the monster and its ok. Theres gotta be something better though

fiker

I've been using a home made solution of white vinegar and water.  I spray it on, let it set for a short while, and then wipe it off with a micro towel. 

I've been doing that for 3 years now and it seems to be ok. 

This is the same solution I use to clean the boat after each trip.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

DannyStricker

Everyone has there favorite HB screen spot remover, I have a small bottle of camera lens cleaner on me all the time while filming and we tend to use it.  It works pretty well but I think the other guys on here have better suggestions.

djkimmel

That might be a pretty good idea? I have some of that too. Might give it a try next year. Keep up with the suggestions. And the great video too, of course!

red68prostreet

Wave Away Sonar & GPS cleaner. Best cleaner on the market by far. Comes with a soft cloth. Zero alcohol & ammonia. I got mine in Kentucky this past spring at Bassn Gas. I use it every trip and have yet to use a quarter of the 2.8 oz bottle. Told Kim & Danny about the product.