Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Winter Storage - Shrink Wrapping

Started by Langer, October 18, 2006, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langer

I am planning on getting my boat shrink wrapped for the winter.  And was wondering about the batteries, I have a 3 bank charger, is it ok to leave them in the boat and every couple weeks or so plug it in to charge them up or is it best to take them out and store inside?  If you store them inside do you charge them up every once in a while?  Also about the tires, do you take the tires off or just cover them up?  What about your tackle, do you leave that in the boat or bring inside?

Thanks
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

MBell

The batteries and trolling motor come inside for sure.  I always bring my tackle in, the down time in the winter is a good time to change hooks and grease reels.  It's always better to do this stuff in the winter when you can't fish open water.  By the way, I don't shrink wrap, for $30 at wal-mart I get a tarp and can pull the boat in and out whenever I want. 
-Matt 

dartag

i bring the batteries, all electronics and all tackle and rods in the house..  also if you tarp or shrink buy some Mildew Gas and leave it in the boat. it is in a little bag i hang from the steering wheel.   ACO sells it.  if the boat is outside it will get moisture under the cover.  mold and mildew are no fun to clean in the spring.

such depressing things to talk about this time of year.  good news it is only 6 months till we get to use it again  :'(

Dan

Who or what is ACO? Thanks for the info.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Revtro

Mine is an automatic charger with maintenance mode.  I leave my batts in all year round and keep the charger plugged in 24/7 so it keeps the batts fresh when it needs to.  I've never had a problem doing this.  Just make sure you have a charger that won't cook your batteries and you're all set. 

A friend of mine leaves his disconnected, but in the boat and just re-charges them in the spring.  Works for him.  Another guy I know takes them in the garage and charges them every so often.  So what I'm gathering is that there are a number of options that'll work.  Everyone has a story to tell, but not all batteries are created equal and it's hard to judge what works since some guys are maintaining old batts and some newer batts. 

Guess none of this really helps.  Aw heck, just keep 'em on the charger if it's a smart charger and you'll be just fine IMO.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

Quote from: Dan on October 18, 2006, 05:01:49 PM
Who or what is ACO? Thanks for the info.

ACE Hareware.   The place with the helpful hardware man.

Dan

aahh thanks I never heard of that mildew gas stuff and would like to try it out.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

I get my pontoon boat wrapped ever year and it works well. Although because it sits outside it is a mouse target. Those darn critters get in the garage or in the shrink wrap so I'm always trying to deter them. Dryer softener sheets seem to work well. I also try to second guess entry points and use glue boards and dcon. This time of year you need to be on the storage offensive. I keep my bass boat in the gargage and have done both with batteries. This year I think I will take them out even though it is a royal pain. I do have a on demand float mode charger but when I have the boat up north at the cabin I always worry about the power going off etc. I have never taken the electronics off but this year I will. Guess a number of guys do. I also plan on winterizing the boat myself this year. Always do the pontoon myself but have always taken the bass boat in. I have been assured that it is not any more complicated  with the 225 than it is with the 35. I have already added stabil before the last tournament and had both tanks full so I know that the stabilized gas has been well distributed. Always store the boat with the tanks as full as possible. Even with that I have had an inline gas filter that I always change every spring. I take my rods out and all my tackle as well. My rods are pretty much junk. Need to get several for next year. Plan on getting my reels together and sending them to the Reel Man from this board this year. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about and have no real reel person around here that I really like. One thing I do do is zip tie all battery cables and label them because you would think that in the spring you would remember but it is much easier to zip and label come spring. I also zip tie my keys to the steering wheel. I have often thought about what water may be in my lines for the bilge and live wells. Do any of you guys put any RV antifreeze in them?????

joshimoto son

Dan,

I use the RV anti-freeze, I have never had a problem. I just make sure I flush everything out well in the spring. I'm sure you already know that.

joshimoto son ;D