email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you take the challenge?  (Read 6402 times)

Big dreams

Would you take the challenge?
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

A buddy at work wants to have a "friendly" competition coming up on the 28th at an undecided lake.  Obviously we would release after a picture however, there is a slight disadvantage.  He has been fishing every Saturday and Sunday for the past 3 weeks now so his reaction is tuned.  We all know that reaction is the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.  Should I take him up on the challenge?  At this point the dollar ammount is minimal however, bragging rights are worth more to me than a few bucks.  What are your thoughts?

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
Re: Would you take the challenge?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

Reaction is just one of many, many factors to catching more and bigger bass. You can have the reaction time of a cobra, but if you're fishing the wrong place, you still won't catch many fish.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me unless he is one of those people who gets under your skin? You do refer to him as 'a buddy' though? I would do it with a very minimal money amount if you feel like it though I prefer opening day to be a stress free day of annual awakening myself. I had plenty of these types of things back in the 'old days' though too. I used to fish with a guy who every single time out was a big 'who caught the most' competition. I got pretty tired of it after a while.

Once in a while is fine and fun, but every single time out?? Nah...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

Big dreams

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »

That is a good point.  I too like the relaxing stress free atmosphere of opening day.  Good advice Dan!  Thanks

Mike S.

• GLBass Champion
  • Legend
  • Lucky number 1k!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »

I would just concentrate on having a good day on the water. No competition. I personally, am going to work on opening day. I am going to do everything possible to avoid a repeat of last year's opening day.......a Blazer parked in the back of my Nitro, before I got to the lake.

Waterfoul

• 7.89 New Personal Best!
  • GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Is it tournement season yet???
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »

Reaction smeaction!  I say go out and kick his.. butt!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TimH

• GLBass Champion
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »

I would take the challeneg.  My buddy and I have a season long "tournament" that we fish competeing against each other.  We have made up some rules and regualtions, as well as made a trophy for the winner.  It might sound pretty stupid, but its a fun thing to do.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »

I would just concentrate on having a good day on the water. No competition. I personally, am going to work on opening day. I am going to do everything possible to avoid a repeat of last year's opening day.......a Blazer parked in the back of my Nitro, before I got to the lake.

That will never happen again. I have sent what mojo (not The Mojo ;D) I have left to you for an entirely safe 2012 fishing season!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »

Reaction smeaction!  I say go out and kick his.. butt!

Well... there's that option too! Done that a few times myself. Though it is not 100% guaranteed...

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »

I would take the challeneg.  My buddy and I have a season long "tournament" that we fish competeing against each other.  We have made up some rules and regualtions, as well as made a trophy for the winner.  It might sound pretty stupid, but its a fun thing to do.

That's not stupid. All depends on what you enjoy most. One my all time favorite partners and I used to have the official 'unofficial' championship of the world every fall somewhere on a neutral lake just between him and me to decide world bass fishing dominance. You've probably never read about it? We had all kinds of rules. We also had some trickery and just plain dastardly, underhanded maneuvers (what he called it whenever I happened to win)!

TimH

• GLBass Champion
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

That's not stupid. All depends on what you enjoy most. One my all time favorite partners and I used to have the official 'unofficial' championship of the world every fall somewhere on a neutral lake just between him and me to decide world bass fishing dominance. You've probably never read about it? We had all kinds of rules. We also had some trickery and just plain dastardly, underhanded maneuvers (what he called it whenever I happened to win)!

That sounds pretty close to what we do.  We have a "rule book" that we typed up with all sorts of special regulations.  I think our funniest rule was one we wrote to deal with what happened if he or I had to cancel one of our "tournaments" due to our wives having somewhere else we had to be.  We called it the "MIDOL A" rule (Must Insist Delaying Organized League Activies).  Whoever had to cancel an event due to a wifes request was fined $25 and lost five points in the season standings.  The fine went into our "Season Champion Fund" that was awarded to the winner at the end of the season.  Our season starts with our "Classic" which is a three day tournament the opening weekend of Catch and Immediate release season.  To avoid having to prove pictures, we fish in the same boat all three days.  Our season runs all summer long and ends with "Championship Weekend" which is a two day event on St. Clair the last weekend in October.
We have some of the most absurd rules, but we have just about as much fun coming up with them as we do actually fishing, so its a good way to keep fishing on the mind in the middle of January.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »

We didn't get quite that far in our organization but the build up to the final event was INTENSE! ;D We fished in the same boat too in an attempt to reduce frippery and malfeasance... didn't always work! You know how anglers are!!

Big dreams

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

Those are some good times.  Now I don't know what to do lol

Mike S.

• GLBass Champion
  • Legend
  • Lucky number 1k!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »

That will never happen again. I have sent what mojo (not The Mojo ;D) I have left to you for an entirely safe 2012 fishing season!

I appreciate that Dan. Maybe I will try to get out after work. Will all depend on how the wife is healing up by then.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »

Those are some good times.  Now I don't know what to do lol

You know what the real answer is. If you think it will be fun, do it. If you're not sure it will be fun or a good idea, do something else.

Genie

• www.MyFishingLogs.com
  • GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Stop wishing and get fishing ...
  • View Gallery
    • MyFishingLogs
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Dan Kimmel for President!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.MyFishingLogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

Cut that out! Don't you see what happens to Presidents anymore in this country?!? Definitely, lets not get on the topic of politics!

UAWBigDog

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »

Cut that out! Don't you see what happens to Presidents anymore in this country?!? Definitely, lets not get on the topic of politics!

............and that would spoil a really great thread. 

BD                              ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:19:59 PM by UAWBigDog »
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »

It could spoil all kinds of things. I can ban Genie if he doesn't behave... or at least slow him down until the caffeine gets out of his system!

Genie

• www.MyFishingLogs.com
  • GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Stop wishing and get fishing ...
  • View Gallery
    • MyFishingLogs
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

fast as fast can be ... can't catch me ...
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.MyFishingLogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »

I don't have to!! But I'll let you get away with it since you are the number one donater by far!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge