Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

HOW TO HELP!!!

Started by Jmcfarland, March 22, 2012, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmcfarland

I'm not sure how to help or what avenue to take in helping make some changes to the current season, but I intend to find out. I  have spent most of the day reading. Which has made my head pound (computer screen). I feel that I need to step up and help out if I want to see this changed. I will let you guys know anything I learn or think can help you get started if you are interested. I called the MDNR executive director to ask him how I can get started or help out. The person who answered took down my number. I have a feeling I may be jumping in a little deep but I didn't learn how to swim by sitting on the edge of the pool dangling my feet in the water. If nothing else I'm sure I will learn something. Feel free to point me in the right direction or add key points of advice. Also if someone is already in the process of doing this let me know how I can help. Thanks.

djkimmel

Read this post for an example of how other 'conservative' Northern states are working their way to the science: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=1718.0

There's a whole bass biology forum we can talk about stuff on.

There's also a small bass biology section on this website. Read all the things on this section: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/fishing/bassbiomgmt1.htm

Any mention of the old SALBRC mess doesn't matter anymore so don't get upset about that. It is spilled milk. It was pseudo-science based on some bias and other negative emotion. Some of the people involved in it are no longer in the MDNR and the mood has changed in the MDNR since then quite a bit so they are no longer talking like that. It was a fight at the time, but we won thanks to so many Michiganders showing the MDNR in their survey that they wanted more bass fishing or as least thought it was okay to have it.

Don't know how far the mood has changed yet but I'll start finding out at my meeting at the end of April and report back.

There is also a study the MDNR did that was co-authored by the Acting Natural Resources Deputy, Kelley Smith who was the Fisheries Chief before that that says there is no scientific reason for a later bass season opener on Lake St. Clair. The reason they did not recommend a change to match the rest of the state was because they felt ANGLERS DID NOT WANT IT! Social management not scientific. I understand why this happens in Northern states. I had some 'St. Clair' anglers who were very angry with me when we started the last push to get a spring catch and release bass season. They felt I would destroy 'their' good thing.

As we can now see, the bass fishing just keeps getting better and better. It has ever since the 14 inch size limit was instigated along with the continuing growth in the catch and release ethic year-round, and clearing water with some exotics.

I will be using this study at the upcoming meeting. There will be anglers who won't want it changed for mostly selfish reasons and fear of change but I believe the study is still relevant and true - there's no reason for Lake St. Clair to open later than the rest of the state. It can handle the pressure way better than any inland lake. After that we start on getting people to realize the studies also show a closed bass season does only one thing consistently - it takes away fishing opportunity from anglers who want the opportunity.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

DK, if there is anything I can do to help you, please feel free to give me a call.  You have my number.  This has been a long time coming and this would bring additional revenue to the state.  And we all know that Michigan needs money............at least those of us that live here.

BD                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

The economy would welcome more tourism.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jmcfarland

Well I did get a phone call back from the secretary at the Dnr headquarters. She said she would send my name and number to a person in my area to call and talk to me. That was Friday. I still haven't heard a thing. If no call by tonight I will call the main office again.

Skulley

Email them, call them, write them, just contact them. Tell them what you want. I'll bet those guys that don't want more bass season called them and told them that's what they wanted just like DK was describing in the quote below. 

Quote from: djkimmel on March 22, 2012, 09:04:07 PM
There is also a study the MDNR did that was co-authored by the Acting Natural Resources Deputy, Kelley Smith who was the Fisheries Chief before that that says there is no scientific reason for a later bass season opener on Lake St. Clair. The reason they did not recommend a change to match the rest of the state was because they felt ANGLERS DID NOT WANT IT! Social management not scientific. I understand why this happens in Northern states. I had some 'St. Clair' anglers who were very angry with me when we started the last push to get a spring catch and release bass season. They felt I would destroy 'their' good thing.

"Their good thing" could very well be that they are fishing illegally anyway and with budgets and the way the MDNR is staffed, it could mean that "their good thing" is fishing out there, catching good ones, and not drawing too much attention by not saying much of anything to anyone.  But we all know that doesn't make it right.  But I am real just speculating here anyway.  More bass season on the world class waters we have here in Michigan could mean more tourism dollars at a time when we don't really have that revenue at that time of year.  It just makes sense economically for the state to open it up.  It's really about time.  And I am definitely not for "social management" just because someone said something to the point and MDNR took that as the reason.  Pretty lame if you ask me......or not.

So call them up and tell the MDNR you want more bass season. I did using every form of communication I could. I even sent smoke signals!!   :o    Write your state representatives also and tell them what you want.  Don't let them make decisions without your input.  You don't need money $$$$.  You need a voice.

BD.                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

There were a number of people last time who used the 'why bother changing it' excuse last time. I know some of them fish out of season regularly and I'm sure they were thinking they don't need it changed. That is short-sighted and causes issues among bass anglers that shouldn't be there.

The local offices aren't staffed real well probably this time of year. It can take a while to catch someone in the office. MDNR has been quite pretty severely in staff. Another reason I would like to see more people fishing and buying fishing related items.

djkimmel

I mentioned in one of the other posts that you can also help by telling everyone you talk to that you want more bass fishing, that all studies repeatedly show that bass seasons are not an effective bass management tool and therefore we are giving up fishing opportunity that can help the state's economy. Tell your family, your friends, your neighbors, your mail man (mine reads my magazines) or woman, people you run into at the tackle shop and at the boat ramp. The more people hear this, the more they likely they are to let go of all the untrue old wives tales that people use to when they say what they think they mean. People are coming around to more fishing is good and that we can have it.