Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Alabama Rig Jig Heads

Started by Fishmael, March 07, 2012, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

What jig head are you planning to use or have already used for your A-Rig?  I've been looking around and haven't been finding anything quite like I am envisioning I need.  Maybe what I am thinking is wrong, but I am thinking a bullet style head with an eye that comes out at 45 degrees and has a fairly long shanked hook.  Thoughts?

Waterfoul

At the moment I think I am going to use darter head jigs, starting with 3" or 4" swimbaits.  I'm told that the eye angle doesn't really seem to effect the baits action.  We'll see about that when I hit Table Rock Lake with the A-Rig in a couple weeks.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Last week, I used different sizes and shapes on different minnow, grub bodies and even plastic worms. Caught peacock bass on all of them. They pretty much went for the head. I caught them on all the different wires too. For bigger swim baits, I like the idea of a longer hook shank but I'm not sure how it will differ with largemouth and smallmouth bass yet. JVD said he was catching a lot more bass on smaller minnow bodies with smaller jigheads.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

huston

This is getting good. Maybe we should have a section dedicated to the trials and tribulations of the A-Rig which also comes in three arm and two arm setups and weightless.

djkimmel

Jim Sprague had complete Castable Umbrella Rig kits at the Outdoorama that included 5 minnow jigheads and 5 white small swimbait bodies. They were going for a great price. I took 3 of those to the Amazon and had a blast with them. I was one of the talks of the week - debate raging on whether it would work or not - IT DID - and if it would hold up to peacock bass - so far, no breakage though I didn't land any bigger than 6 to 7 pounds.

I had 2 doubles on - the first was small 3 pounders but the 2nd was 5 to 6 pound fish. I got both to the boat but lost 1 of the bigger fish when trying to lift in the boat. They bent the heck out of the wires. The current even did that. The water was very high and wicked fast in spots.

Not sure if Anglers Mart will have more of those in Grand Rapids but hopefully he does. I believe KustomKicker will have their high quality Reaper Rig there too. They have a great price below many other brands too. I believe I heard he will have jigheads for the rig but need one of his pro staff to confirm that.

I left my used kit and 2 new kits in the Amazon in the hands of the guides. I don't think the Rio Negro will ever be the same!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LGMOUTH

I went out yesterday in Indiana. All I used were the bite me roundball jig head in 3/16. They worked great. Didnt have a problem with them at all. I was only using a 4 inch swim bait so if it were any bigger you might want a longer shaft on the hook. I really dont see using anything else at this point. By the way we caught over 150 bass on them so I think they work fine. I will post some pics and a recap of the day later for anyone interested.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

TCook

I also plan on using the bite me round balls with the smaller swimbaits, for the 5" I heard real good things about the Jwill's so I got a bunch of those to try as well. Now if I can only get on the water to use them LOL.

Don are you gluing your swimbaits to your jigheads?
FISH HARD!!!

Fishmael

Thanks everyone for your input.  I like the idea of the bite me heads, because I already have quite a few of those!  150+ fish day has me chomping at the bit to get mine in the water...

LGMOUTH

Yes you should glue the swim bait to the hook. All the fish we caught yesterday I only had to replace one swimbait.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

djkimmel

I used a lot of glue last week. It helped. I also glued my fingers together twice. Don't get in too big a hurry!

TritonTR20

How many hooks/lures can you have in Michigan?. I see Indiana changed the laws to allow an umbrella rig..

djkimmel

Where did you see the news about Indiana?

I confirmed that we can use up to 6 hooks at a time in Michigan so the regular 5 lure castable umbrella rigs are okay.

LGMOUTH

Yes Indiana is allowing 5 hooks this year and will take a better look at it this winter to see if they will change it or not. The actual rule read that you could only have two hooks which means Ive been violating all these years with a three hook jerkbait. Funny how something like this makes everyone look at the rules just a little bit closer.

huston

Her is a website to give you info by the state-. http://www.fhcoutdoors.com/list-of-all-alabama-rig-state-laws/

Fishmael

Didn't you say you went fishing in Ohio?

huston

Not me,the only thing i went there for was to BPS recently.I think that BPS is better than the one in Auburn Hills.

djkimmel

Just make sure you all know the various state regulations. Don't just go by what someone posts on a website unless they quote specific sources that can be confirmed. Some websites have the resources to keep things like that up-to-date, and some post it one time and never go back to it. Helps if you know they have been trustworthy in the past though things can change. It always comes down to each individual knowing the latest regulations on their own for each state or territory you fish in - especially if you fish tournaments. I'm amazed how often I was asked general regulations at tournaments just before or during the tournament that the angler should have known before he/she got there.

I try very hard to only post what I have confirmed through proper sources. I will have an article on Michigan soon but I have already confirmed you can use up to 6 hooks with Law and Fisheries Division in Lansing. I don't know where Indiana changed their rules. I would want to see a press release or something official before I state anything. Not sure I can track that down between now and the Ultimate Sport Show. If someone can provide me a link or something similar, I would appreciate it. I won't repeat hearsay. Hearsay often gets it wrong exponentially based on how many people it has passed through.

Many fishing regulations are old, outdated, based on no outside input or worded the way they are because of one particular issue that may have nothing to do with our type of fishing. They can often be changed. That doesn't mean it will be easy. Change is so very hard for some people.

LGMOUTH

Here is an article in the Harold Republic in Indiana. Which basically tells you that it is legal until Jan 1, 2013 or until they look into further.

http://www.kpcnews.net/outdoors/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1512:umbrella-hooks-outlawed&catid=39:fishing&Itemid=27

Manxfishing

Thanx
Seeing the DNR site rules for 2012-13 still list 2 hooks
I'll print the article and stash it in the boat
I'll be down there next month

LGMOUTH

I also talked to the ANGLER in angola (a fishing store). They said they received a letter from the DNR that told them the exact same thing that was in the article. So Im pretty sure we will be fine if we happen to get stopped. But it probably is a pretty good idea to keep a copy of it in the boat or with you if your fishing a tourney for those guys that havent done their research or dont visit the best website on the web.