Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking for Boat Maintenance Tips...

Started by BassinGT, July 27, 2006, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinGT

Hi All,

This year I finally upgraded to a bass boat. I got a Stratos 285 ProXL with a Yamaha 150 Vmax from Wonderland Marine. So to all you bass boat verterans out there, what type of regular maintenance do you do to your boats. Is there anything that you do to your motor on a regular basis? How bout your trolling motors? I'm looking for things that can really improve the life of the boat and keep it out of the shop. I want to protect my investment as much as possible.

Thanks!

Gary

bshaner

This is a very good question and I as well will be eagerly awaiting the members' input.

Good Q, GT.

Brian
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

BassinGT

Hey Brian,

How's it going? You may remember me from the Belleville Lake tourney in Jeremy's district. I also ran into you pre-fishing on Wamplers. I had the light blue Stratos.

Gary

smbassman

Other than cleaning, adding oil and gas(with appropriate fuel additive), I don't do much for normal maintenance in season - and not much is really required(unless you have batteries that require water to be added).  I do most of the work and preparation in the off season.  In the fall and early winter, I am usually busy hunting, so I keep the required work to a minimum.  Clean out all compartments(make sure no water is in the bilge), change lower unit lube and fog cylinders.  I still haven't decided whether to take the batteries out.  I always have and it is a PIA, so I think I will just keep them charged.

In the late winter is when I do most of my prep work.  Grease all fittings and steering shafts, check motor mounting bolts, remove prop and check seals, grease prop shaft, check TM mounting bolts.  Remove and lube(w/ vaseline) all battery terminals.  Every 3 years, re-pack wheel bearings on trailer, inspect brakes and fluid level.  Sit in drivers seat and pretend your driving an indy car, Play with the GPS and sonar simulator, organize tackle(3 or 4 times), stand on front deck and pretend your setting the hook on a 5#er.  Get yelled at by the wife because you have been playing around in the boat for 12 hours and it is 4 in the morning.

stackenem

Every time I pulled the boat out of the water I pulled the prop to look for fishing line and weed wrap also on the trolling motor I did the same. nothing destroys seals quicker.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

DennisB.

Every trip or two check transom bolts and steering linkage, especially if you have hydraulics. The actuator is held on by one bolt right at the front of the motor and I found mine starting to back off when I bought it. I changed the nut with a new fiber lock nut but I still check it alot. Also hoses give them a tug, and check for tightness. if they come out of the pump it will turn the boat sideways if they fail. I am in no way affiliated with Bass Boat Saver, but I wouldn't go without it. The stuff is awesome, spray it on and wipe it off, stand back and watch it shine.

Team houston

If you run St. Clair and Erie on a reg bases then you periodically should grab a screwdriver and try to tighten  EVERY screw you can find. You will be suprised how many are loose.

Revtro

Other things to pay attention to:

Trolling motor mounts.  Make sure the motor bolts are tight, especially if you fish big water.  It might help to install a ram mount for the motor or a bounce buster.

Grease the trolling motor shaft bearings.  It can dry up in just a couple of months since it's in the water all the time.  Don't wait until the bearings go bad and start making noise.  It only takes seconds to do this.

Check outboard motor mount bolts.  Just ask Dan about losing a motor.  Yikes!

Keep an eye on your bunk boards.  I had one rot out and didn't realize it until it about fell off.  Many manufacturers don't use treated lumber.  Grr.

Take care of the leather seats.  I use 303 Aerospace protectant.  You can get it at Wonderland.  It's awesome.  I use it everywhere on the boat.  It has SPF, so it'll help keep your gel coat color depth.  I even use it on the trailer.  The boat will look cleaner longer when you use a product like this.  I would imagine Bass Boat Saver is similar.

Check for corrosion on the battery terminals.  Hey, Smbassman, I've never heard of the vaseline thing.  I'm gonna try that out.  Sounds like a good tip!

Check the tightness of the trolling motor prop every so often.  I nearly lost a prop recently.  DOH!

Also, recently I started adding Quick Clean or Ring Free every other fill up.  It's made a noticable difference already.  The engine was starting to run a little rough because of the crappy gas we're getting lately.  Ever since gas stations stopped being required to notify us of whether or not the fuel they are selling contains ethanol, it seems like I'm having more fuel related issues.  Probably a case of gas stations buying cheaper gas so that they can make more money.  Whatever the reason, I've started using an additive more frequently.  Tip: Sams Club and Costco allegedly don't have ethanol in their gasoline.  I haven't verified this.

Just a few things I do.  I'm no expert by any means, so I'm hoping to pick up a few more tips from you guys.  I want my BassCat to last.

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bshaner

Yup I remember ya.  Shame the district got cancelled after we prefished eh?  I"ll be doing Cass ABA this weekend.  You going?

Add on to boat maintenance... I'm no good with the mechanical stuff and would rather have a service shop do it.  Local marina quoted me 100.00 to service it and look it over just as a checkup and report any problems. 

Does this sound reasonable?

Brian

Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

BassinGT

Hey Brian, I don't think I'm gonna make it for Cass Lake this weekend. I may be done for the year tournament wise. I still may try to make the 2 dayer.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO!!!!

-Gary