Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:37:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

1099 tax help!

Started by customfishn, February 03, 2012, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customfishn

Ok Im sick and tired of all the 1099's  some one needs to help me from paying all the taxes on my winnings from the 2011 year!  My wife keeps getting 1099's in the mail and yelling at me, year after year.  I hear there are ways to offset them, so if some one knows let me in on the secret.

LGMOUTH

Receipts, Receipts, Receipts. Hit me up with a PM and I will give you all the details. Been doing it for years and years.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

Durand Dan

Did you recieve a 1009-MISC? If so the following rules apply

You may treat income reported on a 1099-MISC as hobby income, if it is reported in box 3 OR if you don't have a profit motive in earning this income. You may claim losses but only up to the reported hobby income. Hobby losses are deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A. You must itemize your deductions and your total miscellaneous expenses must exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income to be deductible. Otherwise you will take the Standard Deduction

Waterfoul

Anyone know if Turbotax will do all the calculations for you on something like this?  I too need to itemize my " hobby" expenses this year.

customfishn... if you have a big issue with it... just don't win any tournaments.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Quote from: customfishn on February 03, 2012, 11:01:04 PM
Ok Im sick and tired of all the 1099's  some one needs to help me from paying all the taxes on my winnings from the 2011 year!  My wife keeps getting 1099's in the mail and yelling at me, year after year.  I hear there are ways to offset them, so if some one knows let me in on the secret.

If you would prefer to just reward all your winnings to me, I will take the hassle off your hand!! ;D I'd contact LGMOUTH. I bet he has a handle on this. Hopefully his 'fee' is waived for you!

Along with receipts, keep your mileage for each time you go practice or fish a tournament. You should keep a mileage list of date, reason, start and finish mileage and then the number of miles you drove. That shows a good record-keeping pattern that demonstrates and documents your seriousness.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LGMOUTH

When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

motocross269

The best way to handle 1099s is to start an LLC.....You can only do so much with hobby income and it throws up a red flag to the IRS big time......
LLCs can be tricky also.....You can only show losses for so long....

Unless you are looking at 5 figures or more of income I don't know if I would bother with it....Depending on your AGI.....I won around 5k a couple of years ago and I just bit the bullet because I knew I wasn't going to make a career out of this...The hassle outweighed the profits...My AGI was high enough that I had to have a substantial amount of deductions to claim the losses...

Waterfoul, I would be careful trying to deduct too much "Hobby expense"....JMHO

Turbo Tax does have a small business program...

bigjc

Might be easier to just start taking 10 or 20 percent out of your tx winnings at the time of cashing the check, and set it aside.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Skulley

Quote from: Genie on February 06, 2012, 07:49:15 AM
Genielogs.com will track all that for you .... :)

And that's why you're the Genie.    :o

BD                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

customfishn

Ok a lot of this stuff is over my head but I get it, receipts seem to be important.  I have kept some,  Can you get receipts from tournament trails for entry fees?  I will probably have to just bite the bullet but I have 4700$ in 1099s for the year (that the IRS knows about)  kidding,  kind of.  It would have been more but thanks to LGMOUTH its not.  He sure is a nice guy for saving me money at the end of the year.

djkimmel

Yes he is! You've got to start keeping receipts. You can probably print some online records of weigh ins where you are listed maybe. Put the date and time and website address on them. That might help document. Keeping a log in your calendar with your mileage would also be additional record keeping.

If you can figure out how to catch bass you can figure out how to do this!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.