Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Small group going to Monroe

Started by Mojo, November 22, 2011, 07:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Quote from: MBFT on November 23, 2011, 07:28:04 PM
Not to change the subject, but, I watched a Michigan Out of Doors show years ago when Fred Trost was still the host and they filmed an episode somewhere off of Saginaw Bay that was also a hot pond. They were fishing in the middle of winter throwing crankbaits and catching big carp on them one after another. Does anyone know were this could be. It was a backwater area that had a warm water discharge from some sort of plant or factory. 

Just outside the river mouth around the corner to the East. Been so long I can't remember how I got in there. I imagine it is real interesting to get in their now. Not sure if you can get a big boat in there now? If I can think of someone to ask who might have been in there in recent seasons, I'll check on it. I used to stalk a number of spots in that area in the ancient days. I know one of them is now inaccessible.

Checked one source that says it is 1 foot or less at the mouth and not accessible by a bigger boat unless you get a north wind. Of course, a strong N wind and you probably don't want to be out there. Says it's mostly shore fishing now - a long walk from the end of Jones Rd @ 1/4 mile west.

A long, long time ago I would launch from Jones Rd and drive the ditch out to the bay. Way back, I went to Jones Rd and it was about dry. Nothing but a canoe could 'launch' there. I don't think that has changed. Maybe not even a canoe now with a portage.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Does anyone have an address for the boat launch?

BRONZEBACK67

Is there a seat available?
I would really like to check this out.

BRONZEBACK67

Quote from: Rocknfish on November 23, 2011, 11:43:29 PM
Hey fellas, would like to throw my name into the hat for sunday as well.
As of right now I have an open seat and wouldnt mind sharing with a fellow GLB'er with some knowlege of the place having never fished there yet. Anyone interested gimme a shout!

Aaron
Aaron, I have never been there either,but if the seat is still open, I would certainly appreciate the ride.
Joe

Manxfishing

Quote from: mikesmiph on November 24, 2011, 02:04:34 AM
Does anyone have an address for the boat launch?

Mike

It's exit 11 off of I-75
When you get off the E-way, hang a left cross the E-way and it's on the left

Any ? you have the number, give me a call

markgoetsch

If I show up I'll have someone in the boat with me.  Just let me know sat. or sun.

Manxfishing

Quote from: markgoetsch on November 24, 2011, 08:20:22 AM
If I show up I'll have someone in the boat with me.  Just let me know sat. or sun.

"OK so we are on for SUNDAY 7:45."

From above

mikesmiph

We'll be there. Weather forecast keeps getting just a little better. 57 and 30% chance of light rain. Now to only hope they know what they are talking about, this time. Thanks Manx, yes I have your number. I'll call if I get lost.

Manxfishing

Quote from: BRONZEBACK67 on November 24, 2011, 03:43:06 AM
Quote from: Rocknfish on November 23, 2011, 11:43:29 PM
Hey fellas, would like to throw my name into the hat for sunday as well.
As of right now I have an open seat and wouldnt mind sharing with a fellow GLB'er with some knowlege of the place having never fished there yet. Anyone interested gimme a shout!

Aaron
Aaron, I have never been there either,but if the seat is still open, I would certainly appreciate the ride.
Joe

Hope to see you guys there
If you've never fished the hot pond It's one place you'll walk away from thinking
it's cheating. There's just a ton of good bass

bigjc

Manxfishing

Quote from: bigjc on November 24, 2011, 01:36:12 PM
How far is the boat ride from Bolles?

Not far at all
Run out to the last bouy and then start back in towards the hot pond
It's to shallow to just cut over from the launch

The bass fishing is like no other place that I've fished
Big bass this time of the year and there's lot's of them
Catching 20-30 would be a slow day, 50 plus would be avg.
I'm told there's Walleye and big cat's in there as well but i've never targeted them yet

TCook

I heard they eat shoelaces in there. Sounds like alot of fun but no challenge at all.
FISH HARD!!!

Mike S.

Man, I wish I would have known about this before I volunteered to work all weekend. I would've drug my boat over there for sure. Still not even thinking about winterizing yet. Hot water this time of year holds a dear place in my heart. I have a power plant on Muskegon, just 5 minutes from home. Have fun guys. I will make it next year if you do it again.

Manxfishing

Quote from: TCook on November 24, 2011, 04:34:41 PM
I heard they eat shoelaces in there. Sounds like alot of fun but no challenge at all.

They do
That guy on the BBC is a friend of one of my friends
He fishes the hot pond all winter. During hard water he drags a small boat
over the marsh to the hot pond

While the fishing is easy
The challange is getting the bigger fish or more then the other boats
If you what to settle for 2 pounders there every or every other cast

First time there for me
we had some very good advice from some very good people
And it still took me a little time to really get the game going
Best part was my game was nothing like we were told.
You still neeed some skill in there

This year I'd like to try swim baits and maybe DS the deeper water

Mojo

Stil on - this Sunday 27th, 7:45 am at the ramp. Here is the group to date:

Mighty Frank   and      Mojo
MikeSmiph      and      Veronica  plus      friend
Manxfish         and      Friend
Rock n Fish     and      Bronzeback67
MarkGoetsch   and      Friend

Let me know who else to expect - Maybe we could keep our best 3 for fun ? Ut OH.... We may have enough for a sandbar party ? Does anyone know if there is a park nearby or on the walkway with a grill or picnic tables ? I know we could all pull up to the sandbar near the entrance on the inside and pull up. I can bring chicken and regular brauts and a grill ? Do we want to fish and go or maybe fish and celebrate a great day just behind December ? What time does everyone need to leave ?

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mojo

One rule, if you are new to the hotpond - you shouldn't, as a gentlemens rules,  use this place during the year to pull your tournament fish. Hot Pond has been Catch and Release for many many years. Keeping the big fish in there is what makes the place special so if you show someone new, you should be passing this rule on to them. Plus if its early spring or fall, pulling the fish (which is used to 68 degree water) and then dropping it in 55 or 60 degree water could make the fish suffer. Anyway, use some extra conservation ethics for the Hot Pond .... is all thats requested.

Revtro

Ugh, why does it have to be on a Sunday?  :( :( :(

Wish I could join you fellas.  It sounds like a great way to end the season.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Waterfoul

Anyone in the Grand Rapids area want to tow my boat over there?  Love to go... still need to replace a wheel bearing in the Tahoe though so I can't make the drive with it, and I just don't trust my old Escape to tow it that far.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mojo

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 25, 2011, 11:36:49 AM
Anyone in the Grand Rapids area want to tow my boat over there?  Love to go... still need to replace a wheel bearing in the Tahoe though so I can't make the drive with it, and I just don't trust my old Escape to tow it that far.

It is across flat land  ::)