Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Sturgeon

Started by BIGSHOW, September 13, 2011, 09:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

I know this is a bass forum but not sure where to post? I always wanted to hook into a sturgeon. Any thoughts as to where or what to use? I usually launch out of trenton. Thanks

cameraguy

There is a general fishing area of this forum. Scroll down the page a little more.

djkimmel

I don't know of any specific places that are a higher percentage in the Detroit River. Make sure you check regulations since there are separate requirements to target sturgeon.

The higher percentage area I'm aware of closest to you is the North Channel of the St. Clair River from the no wake buoy up to Algonac. You'll find sturgeon anglers out there most nights. It is pretty cool and a little strange to have them jumping all around your boat in the dark. Some come real close!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

there is a hook and line season on Sturgeon up on Otsego Lake in Gaylord....of course it is thru the ice, but still!!  saw a segement on it on Michigan Out of Doors years ago, it looked like loads of fun and seems to be a pretty decent success rate.  search it on line there are a couple shanty rental spots up there that will totally hook you up.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

stackenem

Middle of May at Tippy dam. Go up steelhead fishing and the river is full of sturgeon up by the dam. You can hooked 4 or 5 every day it seems like. Then just as it starts to get dark the big football browns come in 10to 15 lbers.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

BIGSHOW

Thanks DJ. I am still learning to navigate around your site.Appreciate your help and comments.

djkimmel

Quote from: BIGSHOW on September 15, 2011, 12:15:51 AM
Thanks DJ. I am still learning to navigate around your site.Appreciate your help and comments.

Not a problem.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: stackenem on September 14, 2011, 06:47:41 PM
Middle of May at Tippy dam. Go up steelhead fishing and the river is full of sturgeon up by the dam. You can hooked 4 or 5 every day it seems like. Then just as it starts to get dark the big football browns come in 10to 15 lbers.

That sounds like some fun! Ever get spooled?

stackenem

many times, I run 8lb on a 9 1/2 foot ultralite rod. Makes for a lot of running up and down the bank yelling at everybody to get out of the way and at my age it is a slow run at best.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

I bet that makes you real popular!! ;D