Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Detroit River bass

Started by BIGSHOW, August 27, 2011, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Any Tips on landing some bass out of elizebeth park(give or take 5 miles) I'm fairly new out here and have done ok.But I know there are a ton of spots.I find new ones every time.Any input would be apreciated.Also usally go alone in the morning if interested on going...thanks

djkimmel

When is the last time your were out and how did you do there?

Thanks for signing up.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I went out Fri. morn and did good.I stayed around grosse ile and got about 15.Not sure if thats a great haul or not,I've seen some get that in less than an hour.But its good for me.A couple around the 4 lb mark.And one I thought i got the grand daddy which was hooked in the side.Anyway I am on the look out for rock piles or areas to try and drop-shot.This is a new tactic for me which I am looking forward to learning more about...thanks

LennyB

Largemouth are along the island current breaks that have weeds and the smallies are in the natural channels were there are current breaks, and on the gravel flats with current running over them. As fall approaches and the water temp drops, they will both migrate from the current areas to were they are going to winter.

djkimmel

That's a pretty good day for me down there. Some people do better sometimes of course but that sounds like a fun day to me. There are lots of rock piles out in front of the river mouth but I don't think a lot of them are good very often. Takes some time to find the good ones. We're coming into the time of year to start looking.

Do you have a good map of the area? There's some natural and man-made cover on the map that has been good in the past. If it juts out into the current I check it out. I also like topwater baits sometimes first thing in the morning around the lower river islands and weed edges.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I once saw an episode of michigan out of doors and they were fishing somewhere by grosse ile ( they mentioned the airport).They were just nailing them on top water.I get an occasional bass or pike on 3-4 in zara spooks (whitew/red head).Like I said before I am fairly new to this area of bass fishing.Any other topwater choices?? areas??As for maps I got the river map and my lowrance hds-5 lake insight map which is'nt bad..thanks

djkimmel

I didn't see that show but there are specifics to fishing a river and current, and also time of year, that can make a big difference. I like Zara Spooks over there. Pop R's are another good choice to see if the bass are preferring once type over another. I've always liked buzzbaits too. I've caught some really nice largemouth and smallmouth bass on them.

Look for weed edges along current edges. Weed points. Bars. Man-made objects that break the current. Any turn in the current. Good ambush spots for feeding bass. The maps can show you high spots that break current if you look closely. Some of those can be good.