Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Birds take a bite out of trout fishing in UP

Started by djkimmel, April 30, 2010, 01:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

From the Detroit Free Press

Birds take a bite out of trout fishing in UP
By ERIC SHARP
Free Press Outdoors Writer

Earlier this month, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment planted 28,000 brown trout in the Ford River near Escanaba in the Upper Peninsula – right in front of about 500 hungry cormorants that dined for days on those $1 apiece fish.

The trout weighed two or three ounces each. A cormorant can eat easily a dozen a day. And brown trout are about as dumb as rocks.

Local anglers quickly figured out that a large percentage of those fish, paid for by angler's license fees, went down the gullets of big black birds that will use the energy from the trout to produce more cormorants this summer.

Needless to say, the fishermen didn't take it well. Read the complete article on Freep.com

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

A hot topic in Michigan that probably won't cool off any time soon. They are a natural part of the system. Should we control their numbers? And how much? Do we have the right to stop them from doing what comes natural for them?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fowlmouth

Why are there so many? I can't remember seeing as many as I do now. The cormorant population must be huge, they aren't hunted(legally ::)) so I assume USFW does not track their numbers. Is this a by-product of the goby explosion?

djkimmel

Those are all great questions. I don't know what would be considered normal or sustaining for them. I did recently see statistics on them but will have to track them down again. I wonder if they eat gobies? Have not seen any information on that.

River Rat

Those things are a pain in the rear around Peche Island and the light, I swear they try and "drop" on you and your boat.  And why would they discriminate against a gobie?  It's the perfect size...
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

djkimmel

I wonder if they are more interested in fish that swim up off the bottom verses smaller fish that stay very close to the bottom? Plus, they prefer to eat fairly large fish, much bigger than the average little goby. I will have to ask my friends at the MDNRE if they know of any stomach content studies from our part of the Great Lakes.

River Rat

Fair enough, sir.  I just guessed with the shear numbers that gobies can be found in one area that they would be an easy snack of sorts.
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

djkimmel

Well, we know the bass are eating them...

Wonder if the muskies on Lake St. Clair ever eat a cormorant??

dashaver63

It's not only the fish population that the commorants effect. They also kill off the trees they roost in. In Sandusky Bay, a rather large number of them began roosting in the trees on the island opposite the city launch where the BFL was launched from. In a matter of one summer, they killed off the trees on that island from their poop. I believe I heard a couple years ago Minnesota was tring to eradicate them by spraying their eggs with some kind of oil so they wouldn't hatch, and also plain out shooting them. They are a big nuisance and they can greatly damage an eco system that they get involved in.

Bender

I don't know if the state does anything about it, but here's a form to report them: www.dnr.state.mi.us/cormorantobs/
I reported them a couple times last year on Kent. They killed several trees and crap on everything. Last spring up north there were some locals doing some "harassing of birds". I think they were using a 12 gauge ;D and I hope they weren't firing blanks but I don't know. 
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

I saw the Indians 'harass' a few cormorants on St. Clair one day a while ago with the 12 guage method.

I'm pretty sure the MDNRE does oil some of the eggs at the Charities if I remember right. And some place up north. They are trying to get permission to do more of that to control numbers of birds.

I see some at Lake Ovid now to at times. That's another place maybe a musky would eat one??

motocross269

Comarants are worse than seagulls...

Maybe we can take the Asian carp and the comorants and harness them as an alternate fuel source... ;)

djkimmel