Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Charity Tournament advice

Started by Revtro, March 22, 2010, 02:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Hi all,
I really need the advice of my fellow GLB peeps on this one.  My church has been considering hosting a charity bass tournament, largely aimed at helping people that are losing their homes to foreclosure, but we're somewhat undecided on what kind of payout would entice the most boaters. 

Some options we are considering are:

a) A team...winner take all event.  Based on 50 boats at $100 per team.  Pay the top prize to the winning team of 50% ($2500) with 50% to the charity.

b) A team...winner take all event.  Based on 50 boats with the top prize being 70%.

c) A team...top 3 take all event.  Pay out 70% to the top 3 teams based on 50 boats.  30% to the charity.

d) A  team...payback 1 place for every 5 boats event.  Pay out 70% with 30% to the charity.  Concern here would be smaller payouts.

e) Suggestions??  The goal would be to somehow entice 50 teams to support this worthy cause. 

I need feedback and constructive suggestions only please.  What kind of entry would you be willing to put up?  What type of payback would make it worth it for you?  Would you fish an event like this on St. Clair? 
Thanks all!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

SethV

mikesmiph

I agree with Seth. I'd be there.

squid

I have fished a lot of charity tournaments and they paid out 50% to top finishers based on number of boats.  People were not there for the money, but for the fun of competing and knowning their money was going to a good cause.  They also held 50/50 drawings, had good local sponsors donate good to be raffled off.  A lot of ways you can do this and make it fun too.  I would not pay out over 60% if you want most of the money to go to a charity.

dartag

I agree with squid maybe even 50% payback.  It is about making money for a cause.  If you held it on an inland lake everyones expenses would be less for the whole day.  Have done a lot of swim fund raisers and 50/50 is a good way also.  Sponsor donated prizes for a silent auction is another good way.  I have donated a couple of fishing trips on my lake at work fund raisers.  they went for pretty good money.

good luck,  will try to be there.

steve smith
commerce, mi

Dan

You may also want to consider a corporate tie in and offer corporate entries a chance to fish with experienced tournament anglers willing to team up with them for charity. A tournament group that I use to be affiliated with sold host ads in a flier for a lot more than their regular ads. They then held a special half day host tournament and the host fished with one of the tournament members. The winning host got his ad money back. It was a big hit. In a similar vein, I would think you could find people who wouldn't mind paying several hundred dollars to fish with a "pro" in a charity tournament. In that way you would get a lot more in entry fees from corporate entries. They could have a separate pot or just participate with a chance with the rest of the field for the regular payout.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

River Rat

Just a quick thought (while still under pain meds, sorry) but at least 50% to the Charity, if not more.  It's about them, not us fishing.  Maybe pay out 20% to 1st, 15% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd, 5% to fourth... lemme work on this some more.

You're on to something good here!  I like it very much.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

t-bone

There are lots of folks that would fish an event that pays back 50%, knowing where the other 50% is going and how it is going to be used.

I think the trick here is that there are plenty of folks that won't fish a 50% tournament even if they know where the other 50% is going.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you won't draw 50 boats with a 50% payback UNLESS:
- the charity is well know and well promoted. To say that my church is going to help folks with foreclosures is probably not enough
- besides that money payback, I think there needs to be added incentive and I think this is where a sponsor could really help - get a corporate sponsor to donate something that would offset the reduced payback (trip, tackle, guide service, gift certificates, etc)
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

springlakebassman

Rev,

I have directed a weeknight charity bass league here on the west side for the last 8 years.  We pay 50% to the pot and 50% to the charity.  I ask the guys every year at our preseason meeting if they want to change the payout schedule and every year for the last 8 years I have gotten a resounding no don't change a thing.  There are some nights first place only wins $80 but when we hand the charity a $100+ donation the guys feel good.  No matter what anyone says I think deep down in every bass guys heart when they get a chance to use their money to help someone else who needs it the payout doesn't even matter.  I say this because numerous times I have witnessed handing 1st place their envelope and they don't even look inside they just walk it right over to the representative for the charity and then jump in their truck and head home.  So from my personal experience don't worry about the payout to tournament, bless the charity the guys are going to have fun using fishing to help someone in need.

Frank

I'm always willing to donate a gift cert to airway just let me know when

bigjc

Hey Tom,

I believe that Mike and Seth are probably right, if you want a good turn-out, you are probably going to have to go with the 70% payback.  From my experience, the more you try to capture for the charity, the less interest you get from anglers.  Sad to say, not many guys are willing to put up the cash with no chance of making some loot. The other option might be to host something in May, during the catch and release.  Make it a draw event, and make it lower entry ($30 or $40) and have no cash payback.  Just trophies/placks with some gift card giveaways or something.

JC